Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 925 times

Advertisements

This is my first post. Please, help a noobie!

I'm 21 years old. My girlfriend (21 as well) and I were checking out some apartments online and are very interested about moving to the Tampa Bay area. We are a laid back couple that love the beach scene as well as little towns with mom-and-pop shops/restaurants. We both work retail and have confirmed with our higher-ups that we can get transferred. I get payed $14 an hour as an assistant manager and she gets payed $9 an hour as a sales associate. We will most likely look for 2nd jobs because we aren't sure that the hours will be exactly the same as we get now. I'm hoping to bring both of our cars down there but my car is old, and has over 200k miles on it. Inevitably, I'll have to get a new one soon. I was hoping that saving $10,000 (excluding my car predicament) would be enough for the move down there.

The reason we are considering Tampa Bay is because (you guessed it) Northern Virginia is too expensive. Apartments for rent here are about $1,300 a month and this is before you factor in electricity, water, etc. The cheapest you can hope for is about $1000, again, before other expenses. We aren't winter people. The majority of the "seasons" here is either chilly or COLD. However, the summers here are great. We feel more active, outgoing, and alive when it is warmer. I've lived in the Philippines so the heat and humidity of FL would not be a problem. Traffic in the DC Metro area is horrible. I considered my Aunt lucky (she lives in LA) compared to what it's like here. Although the history is rich in this state, you've seen it once and you'll never have to go see it again.

My questions are....

Which one do you think is the best between Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Clearwater when it comes to outdoor activity, cost-of-living, and community? Examples or explanations would be appreciated.

Is it too much to hope to find a studio or 1 bedroom apartment down there for $600-$850?

Any suggestions for our move? Is $10,000 enough? I'd LOVE to hear some tips.

If you moved out of the Northern Virginia area, what was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 07:41 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,526 times
ST.Pete and Tampa are about the same cost wise for apartments. Based on your age, love of the beaches and sense of community I think St.Pete would be a great fit for you. I am not sure if you can find a decent rental in your price range but I think finding a nice 1 br close to $800 is more realistic. I am from Northern VA too btw and certainly know what you mean by wanting to escape the high cost of living. That is what prompted me to move. Good luck on your move.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:23 AM

62 posts, read 98,016 times
Congrats on the move! I'll be doing the same next yr., but based on what I've seen so far: cost of living/traffic seems basically the same, NOVA is generally nicer, and the FL weather is much better if you also enjoy warmth over winters/four seasons.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:00 AM

350 posts, read 333,325 times
Sounds like you are both starting an exciting new chapter in your lives!! Best advice is to find out where your jobs will be and move near that area, you don't want to spend a second more than you must traveling back and forth from work. We will be entering our ninth year here...moved from southern Indiana..... We could not be more happy. I LOVE TAMPA!!!!!
WELCOME!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay