Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 02:56 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,343,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWray12 View Post
They Closed the pier?! No way - I went there a few times when I was in high school - that's crazy !
Yeah they closed it right before I left to go back to CT last year.

It was really great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 04:44 AM

63 posts, read 131,247 times
I live in Dunedin and one of the things we like is the mix of ages and types. There are all types here. Your age group is fine and lots to do and see here.

It's one of the blessings of living in Dunedin - which I think is the best town in the area.

There are always activities going on, you are close to everything, Honeymoon Island is fantastic.

There are soon to be 7 craft breweries open in Dunedin - 4 are already open.

Lots of nightlife if you are looking for that.

You can get to any of the other beaches easily from here IMO.

If you want diversity this town has it.

If you want a college crowd then some of the beach towns might be better.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:18 PM

261 posts, read 261,368 times
Lived in this area for over 20 years, Dunedin is one of the better suburbs in Tampa but its far from the jobcore in the tampa bay area. This area is more for retirees, The commute to those job areas can be dreadful in rush-hour, it sure looks close on a map but try driving it everyday. Most large companies in Pinellas are in Carillon/st pete or if going over to Hillsborough are in downtown Tampa or near Airport. Also us 19 adjacent to Dunedin is one of the worst roadways in the state with accidents. There is actually good deals if you look for rentals in Dunedin compared to most of Tampa bay for some reason.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:40 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,915,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
Lived in this area for over 20 years, Dunedin is one of the better suburbs in Tampa but its far from the jobcore in the tampa bay area. This area is more for retirees, The commute to those job areas can be dreadful in rush-hour, it sure looks close on a map but try driving it everyday. Most large companies in Pinellas are in Carillon/st pete or if going over to Hillsborough are in downtown Tampa or near Airport. Also us 19 adjacent to Dunedin is one of the worst roadways in the state with accidents. There is actually good deals if you look for rentals in Dunedin compared to most of Tampa bay for some reason.
May I ask when the last time you have driven US19 to St. Pete was?

My wife and I live just northeast of Dunedin in Palm Harbor/East Lake and she has no issue with her commute to work, as it is a once a week drive to Tampa Internaional Airport, 30-35 minutes, and then back later in the week.

Believe it or not, not everyone in the Northern half of Pinellas County works daily in Tampa. Lots of employment options elsewhere, including working from home nowadays.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:20 PM

261 posts, read 261,368 times
From carillon to the Tampa Airport sometimes it recently took an hour at 500 pm . She must be really lucky on Hillsborough. Us19 is always backed up with an accident or something in rush hour.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:54 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,751,514 times
Austin is a huge city, Dunedin is a small city. St. Pete is half the size of Austin. Gulfport is a tiny city.

Pinellas County, Florida is just a little bit bigger then the city of Austin. Living anywhere around here, has no small town feel. It is basically like living inside the city of Chicago.

Yes Dunedin is more expensive with housing, but there are areas in Dunedin with older homes that are not that expensive.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,915,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
From carillon to the Tampa Airport sometimes it recently took an hour at 500 pm . She must be really lucky on Hillsborough. Us19 is always backed up with an accident or something in rush hour.
611 south to 60 east into the airport. Easy breezy.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 AM

33 posts, read 83,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Austin is a huge city, Dunedin is a small city. St. Pete is half the size of Austin. Gulfport is a tiny city.

Pinellas County, Florida is just a little bit bigger then the city of Austin. Living anywhere around here, has no small town feel. It is basically like living inside the city of Chicago.

Yes Dunedin is more expensive with housing, but there are areas in Dunedin with older homes that are not that expensive.
The actual city of Austin is relatively small but the sprawl of Austin is huge - I'm from Boston though, so it doesn't seem that big to me.. and I want to be in a smaller city, Austin has grown so much over the last few years that it has really lost that small city feel.

I think Dunedin sounds great - it seems to have everything I'm looking for.. I'm just worried because my friend who is staying with me for a few months doesn't have a car and we will be looking for waitress jobs, I want to find an area where there are lots of options for busy places to work, as well as a bus or trolley system.. or perhaps we will be lucky enough to bike to work! Not sure if Dunedin has that? or we could work over in clear water, that is close enough to possibly bus?

Also, I'm going to be taking a class at SPC, so I'm worried about the commute - Do you guys have any suggestions for St. Petersburg area that would fit those options? I don't mind a commute, especially if it's only 1-2 days per week, I just want to make sure we have plenty of options for service industry jobs -

Old 05-10-2016, 09:20 AM

279 posts, read 508,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWray12 View Post
The actual city of Austin is relatively small but the sprawl of Austin is huge - I'm from Boston though, so it doesn't seem that big to me.. and I want to be in a smaller city, Austin has grown so much over the last few years that it has really lost that small city feel.

I think Dunedin sounds great - it seems to have everything I'm looking for.. I'm just worried because my friend who is staying with me for a few months doesn't have a car and we will be looking for waitress jobs, I want to find an area where there are lots of options for busy places to work, as well as a bus or trolley system.. or perhaps we will be lucky enough to bike to work! Not sure if Dunedin has that? or we could work over in clear water, that is close enough to possibly bus?

Also, I'm going to be taking a class at SPC, so I'm worried about the commute - Do you guys have any suggestions for St. Petersburg area that would fit those options? I don't mind a commute, especially if it's only 1-2 days per week, I just want to make sure we have plenty of options for service industry jobs -

You should look at some youtube video's on Dunedin downtown if you haven't. It gives you an idea of what it's like.

As far as SPC I can't help with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAUGuyJXefc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ppBtSlJWU\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry8jpJSeZNs

Old 05-10-2016, 09:36 AM

33 posts, read 83,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75 View Post
You should look at some youtube video's on Dunedin downtown if you haven't. It gives you an idea of what it's like.

As far as SPC I can't help with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAUGuyJXefc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ppBtSlJWU\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry8jpJSeZNs
this is great - I think this area seems perfect for me - it's really cute and close to the beach and seems safe - just gotta get my friend on board - Do you know if Dunedin has any bus/trolley system that she could use if she has to work outside of the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay