Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:58 AM

33 posts, read 83,351 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to Florida. My mom lived in Madeira beach for a little while, I wasn't too crazy about it but I was young.. I've been living in Austin, TX for a few years and I love it but I miss the beach and since I'm newly single - figured it'd be a good time to move and try something else.. Anyway, I was thinking of Dunedin because I really like a small town feel and a sense of community. However, I'm wondering if it's maybe too old of a crowd for someone my age? Is it very expensive? What are the jobs like? Are there good restaurants/bars in the area that would appeal to a 29 year old? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:21 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,221 times
Dunedin is more expensive than most of the surrounding area. Clearwater is cheaper, Largo is cheaper, Holiday is cheaper. Honestly, depending on your situation I would point you towards either a good part of St. Petersburg or Clearwater / Largo area.

Dunedin on the other hand is definitely nice. If you have the money, certainly check out some spots in Dunedin. As far as the median age... a quick search shows Dunedin at 48.2. St. Pete came in at 41.8.

Your restaurants and bars will be fairly limited in Dunedin. That being said, Clearwater isn't THAT far away.

I know this response probably confused you more than anything, but it's really going to be preference. Pinellas has plenty of ways to entertain pretty much no matter where you choose to live. Only definitive piece of advice I could give you is avoid anything north of Palm Harbor (especially Holiday).

Your job will most likely be somewhere in or around Clearwater if you live in Dunedin depending on what you do.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:34 AM

Thank you, that is helpful. We lived in St. Petersburg for a few months when I was in high school but I remember it being far from the beach and I just didn't love it but perhaps I was just in the wrong area.. hmm!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:37 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,981 times
We thought Dunedin downtown area was very nice, but it felt too old for us (and we were in our 50's). Everyone was way older than us in the eateries at night and at many of the events around town. We rented there for a month, two winters.

The water accessibility on foot in Dunedin was also a drawback...the waterfront "park" is a linear strip that runs along busy Alt 19 and was not conducive to quiet walks.

We ended up in Gulfport which has a good mix of funk and fun. But your age group often finds DTSP more suitable.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 AM

Gulfport is pretty nice. I lived in Seminole for awhile and enjoyed that. The Pinellas Trail is awesome!

The closer you live to the Gulf strip, the happier I think you'll be. So if you stick either central or western Pinellas you should be fine.

Alt 19 is really nice going up past Clearwater into Dunedin, there's a really nice park along the way too as well as a medium sized boat docking area in downtown Dunedin.

PS: If you have ANY love for Mexican food, GO to Casa Tina's. It is WELL worth the price!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:46 AM

I love Mexican food - Texas Mexican and BBQ is on point. When you say Pinellas, you mean Pinellas park specifically? I know Pinellas county is pretty large, right? It's been a while - I havent been there in about 7-8 years.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWray12 View Post
I love Mexican food - Texas Mexican and BBQ is on point. When you say Pinellas, you mean Pinellas park specifically? I know Pinellas county is pretty large, right? It's been a while - I havent been there in about 7-8 years.
Basically, I'm referring to the entire peninsula south of Palm Harbor. There are obviously areas to avoid.

Some areas to avoid in my opinion:

Downtown Clearwater
St Pete just north of downtown. Downtown is good, but I would be cautious between between 9th ave and 22nd ave.
Holiday... ALL of it lol
Pinellas Park can get a little sketchy, but you might find a good spot there.

Please of course take it with a grain of salt. These are my opinions and I'm sure someone else will chime in with theirs.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:46 PM

90 posts, read 122,356 times
Can't go wrong with Dunedin. I've never got the feeling that it was primarily an older person town. Older people are around but not overwhelming. Dunedin Brewery and 7th sun brewery has plenty of 20's and 30's types...along with House of Beer and Kelly's/Blur night clubs. Also the wine bar and another brewery, The Woodright I think, just opened...It's a mix. You see all types of people on the Pinellas trail....St. Pete is definitely younger on average and it's got a lot going on. You have to spend time in all these places and see what you like.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWray12 View Post
I'm thinking of relocating to Florida. My mom lived in Madeira beach for a little while, I wasn't too crazy about it but I was young.. I've been living in Austin, TX for a few years and I love it but I miss the beach and since I'm newly single - figured it'd be a good time to move and try something else.. Anyway, I was thinking of Dunedin because I really like a small town feel and a sense of community. However, I'm wondering if it's maybe too old of a crowd for someone my age? Is it very expensive? What are the jobs like? Are there good restaurants/bars in the area that would appeal to a 29 year old? Thanks!
Sorry if I missed it, but where will you be working? If not in Tampa then:

Tarpon Springs has an AWESOME downtown and then the sponge docks. There are all kinds of eateries and bars and little clubs. So many unique things, most people do not even know about. There are two very nice, but small beaches there. Only locals go there, so parking is no issue and they are not crowed. I love it, as even I can have my wife take me for a quick look at the gulf once in a while. Tarpon Springs has people of all ages and is extremely active. You can also consider the West Lake side of Palm Harbor, as you would be right next to Tarpon Springs. Even if you were to be working in St. Pete, you could make it work, as the southern part of US 19 in Pinellas County has been redone to be a straightaway now with no stops.

I agree with everyone, STAY AWAY FROM HOLIDAY!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Dunedin was rated as the coolest suburb in Tampa according to Thrillist. But apart from that though it seems to have a lot going for it. Good location within metro, good trails, near the beach, cool downtown, safe, affordable COL, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay