Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:20 AM

383 posts, read 344,779 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone! As far as i`m not a native English speaker i`d like to improve my speaking and pronounciation without learning boring grammar rules but just lots of speaking. I`m considering to take a group classes with the native speaker teacher (i guess it is named TESL). I was wondering where could i find those courses in Tampa/St.Pete area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 07:17 AM

80 posts, read 81,880 times
Youtube.com has great and free English lessons as well as a lot of other stuff you can learn. It's all about motivation.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:55 AM

I used to learn English with Youtube. Therefore it was revised a couple years ago) The stuff on Engvid.com has been studied by me from the beginning to the end! I don`t need passive learning no more. Even though i`ve been listening a lot of podcasts and book and i`ve been reading some E-books, my speaking level hasn`t been increasing at this time.
I guess my listening level is quite good to comprehend common conversation. I was trying to speak with native-teacher via skype but there are lots of difficulties turned up (connection was absolutely worst, therefore understanding was rather low).
Next time i tried to speak with people from India, Pakistan ect. They had very strong accent so i didn`t unrestand them at all. Although i could have understood native speaker easy.
I really don`t know if there that sort of courses as i visualising for myself. Ideally is to find community where someone teaches language as it AG HOGE does! with natural conversation without boring basic rules that we have taught since school

Old 11-18-2016, 05:12 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,026,000 times
Just don't hang out in the West Tampa area because no one bothers to speak English.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Just don't hang out in the West Tampa area because no one bothers to speak English.
What`s up with west tampa? Getto?

Old 11-21-2016, 04:20 AM

Well, if you wanted to actually be able to understand anyone, then what you'd wanna do is learn Spanish. Because this is America, silly.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:06 AM

Spanish is not as such problem as English. I`ve been learning Spanish by my self for a couple of month. My sister can speak fluently because her husband is Cuban. Spanish is given to me much easy that English is. Formal English is OK. But informal with lots of idioms, phrasal verbs, hidden syllables, slang and exceptions etc....It makes me to be confused.
In fact, i agree with you. I suppose it`s very odd being US native person living in your own country but not be able to speak wherever/whoever you want.
However when i was in Miami all the Cubans i met were able to speak English.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:50 PM

Yes, most Latinos / Hispanics CAN speak English, but they just don't.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:59 PM

4,802 posts, read 2,816,300 times
Default A couple of places to try

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
I`m considering to take a group classes with the native speaker teacher (i guess it is named TESL). I was wondering where could i find those courses in Tampa/St.Pete area?
You sound pretty good on here. For live classes, check for websites for the Tampa/St. Pete school districts - they likely have ESL or TESL classes there. Most places you have some choices of classes - day or evening, so that you can work out any scheduling problems.

The other place to check is through your local public libraries (or even academic libraries) - but I'd look at the public library websites first. Classes are likely to be free, except that you might have to buy your workbook.

Good luck with it.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
You sound pretty good on here. For live classes, check for websites for the Tampa/St. Pete school districts - they likely have ESL or TESL classes there. Most places you have some choices of classes - day or evening, so that you can work out any scheduling problems.

The other place to check is through your local public libraries (or even academic libraries) - but I'd look at the public library websites first. Classes are likely to be free, except that you might have to buy your workbook.

Good luck with it.
Thanks!
Wow! Schools and libraries in USA have their own websites! That`s a bit of progress!
Look at here for example plz Clearwater Schools
I've looked over this web site from edge to edge but haven't still found any info about learning English..
May be i`d better send`em an email?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay