Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 04:17 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
What evidence do you have that the sea levels on the coast of Florida have risen in the past month, the past year, past 5 years, past 10 years, and past 20 years? If the sea level has risen, how much has the sea level already risen?

The winter weather in Minnesota is much less severe in the past 20 years, than it was 20 to 60 years ago. I am not a believer that man had anything to do with the long term climate change. I believe it is just natural, long term climate change. Even though the winter are milder in Minnesota than they used to be, I'm less tolerant of the Minnesota winters, so I'm only going to put up with two more Minnesota winters after this winter is done.
Check with the city if Miami. Already spending millions since the water is staring to flood streets pete. We are in SHORT TERM WARMING phase for 1500 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
What evidence do you have that the sea levels on the coast of Florida have risen in the past month, the past year, past 5 years, past 10 years, and past 20 years? If the sea level has risen, how much has the sea level already risen?

The winter weather in Minnesota is much less severe in the past 20 years, than it was 20 to 60 years ago. I am not a believer that man had anything to do with the long term climate change. I believe it is just natural, long term climate change. Even though the winter are milder in Minnesota than they used to be, I'm less tolerant of the Minnesota winters, so I'm only going to put up with two more Minnesota winters after this winter is done.
The St. Pete gage right here in our back yard has risen about an inch per decade and since they have started measurement it is already more than half a foot. The one in Clearwater has also the same rise rate. A Key West gage has eve more rise since they have more data over 100 years. More than a foot there. A few inch of rise means a lot when you think about the drainage that impacts an area because of it.

You may want to minimize it as much as you want but we are talking about a significant rise if seal level in a mortgage cycle of 30 years that will kick a lot of people in their pocket. Not to mention the change in storm intensity and frequency. Frequency of king tide has really picked up in the last decade. Google "sunny day flood" At high high tide people are frequently flooded in many parts of Florida. This is not conspiracy theory just fact of data.

Arguing what caused it moot. Just get ready for what is coming... is the point.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:05 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Plus my so called snowball effect over the next 50 years we will see a massive rise in sea levels as more dark surface areas on the planet heat up due to rapid ice melt. The more ice melt the more dark surface to be heated by the sun and it just piles up at faster and faster rates. AKA , my snow ball effect as i call it.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:55 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,820 times
That's interesting there has been a detectable rise in the sea level. You mentioned that the problem has been occurring for 100 years. Maybe it could have been occurring for longer than 100 years. If you go back 100 years, there was much less human activity at that time that could have been impacting the climate.

Global warming is one theory, but not the only theory. If you Google "polar ice caps cooling down", you will find a lot of information that global warming is a myth.

Here are a couple of links from that Google search "polar ice caps cooling down", reporting that the polar ice caps are not melting, but just the opposite is occurring. There is also an active volcano in the Antarctic, so there is geothermal heat is below the ice, which could cause melting. I've never heard about that there was a volcano under the Antarctic before from the people who claim that human activity is the primary, or only cause for global warming. and the polar ice melting. I happened to stumble across it in a Google search, "polar ice caps cooling down". In the links, the researching organizations mentioned are the University of Texas and NASA. I assume both research organizations are credible.

I think that more research needs to be done, with an open mind, instead of only looking for things to support a pre-determined outcome that humans are the cause of global warming, before US government regulations are imposed that cripples the US economy and jobs, while other counties make no changes. Maybe there needs to be less panicking, and more open minded research.

Polar ice caps increase in volume by a third as cool summer halts melting Arctic | Nature | News | Daily Express

MELTDOWN MYTH: Antarctic ice growing is just the first EVIDENCE global warming is NOT REAL | Nature | News | Daily Express

Forbes: Updated NASA Data: Global Warming Not Causing Any Polar Ice Retreat

Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
Back to the original topic..... OP needs to update the thread to say "Can't believe I have my AC running in mid- december and early January"

Old 01-02-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That's interesting there has been a detectable rise in the sea level. You mentioned that the problem has been occurring for 100 years. Maybe it could have been occurring for longer than 100 years. If you go back 100 years, there was much less human activity at that time that could have been impacting the climate.

Global warming is one theory, but not the only theory. If you Google "polar ice caps cooling down", you will find a lot of information that global warming is a myth.

Here are a couple of links from that Google search "polar ice caps cooling down", reporting that the polar ice caps are not melting, but just the opposite is occurring. There is also an active volcano in the Antarctic, so there is geothermal heat is below the ice, which could cause melting. I've never heard about that there was a volcano under the Antarctic before from the people who claim that human activity is the primary, or only cause for global warming. and the polar ice melting. I happened to stumble across it in a Google search, "polar ice caps cooling down". In the links, the researching organizations mentioned are the University of Texas and NASA. I assume both research organizations are credible.

I think that more research needs to be done, with an open mind, instead of only looking for things to support a pre-determined outcome that humans are the cause of global warming, before US government regulations are imposed that cripples the US economy and jobs, while other counties make no changes. Maybe there needs to be less panicking, and more open minded research.

Polar ice caps increase in volume by a third as cool summer halts melting Arctic | Nature | News | Daily Express

MELTDOWN MYTH: Antarctic ice growing is just the first EVIDENCE global warming is NOT REAL | Nature | News | Daily Express

Forbes: Updated NASA Data: Global Warming Not Causing Any Polar Ice Retreat
Your point is?

You asked for specific data/evidence and we gave you from tidal gages that are here in our back yard, two of them one in St Pete Beach and another in Clearwater. I am just looking at the data. Check the frequency of king tides change in the past few decades over many coastal Florida cities. Is your point that there is NO statistically significant sea level rise observed?

Old 01-02-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Back to the original topic..... OP needs to update the thread to say "Can't believe I have my AC running in mid- december and early January"
Did you check the forecast for next week (in Lakeland, between Tampa and Orlando)? There's a cool down coming, with a chance of rain. Maybe the sky isn't falling yet!

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 High: 77 Low: 55
Thursday, January 5, 2017 High: 75 Low: 53
Friday, January 6, 2017 High: 71 Low: 54 50% chance of rain
Saturday, January 7, 2017 High: 69 Low: 47 50% chance of rain
Sunday, January 8, 2017 High: 58 Low: 41
Monday, January 9, 2017 High: 68 Low: 49
Tuesday, January 10, 2017 High: 73 Low: 52
Wednesday, January 11, 2017 High: 76 Low: 54

Old 01-02-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Your point is?

You asked for specific data/evidence and we gave you from tidal gages that are here in our back yard, two of them one in St Pete Beach and another in Clearwater. I am just looking at the data. Check the frequency of king tides change in the past few decades over many coastal Florida cities. Is your point that there is NO statistically significant sea level rise observed?
My point is global warming may have nothing to do with mankind. I don't think there was much evidence that mankind caused the global flooding thousands of years ago in the days of Noah's Arc, assuming that story is true. I'm not sure how anyone could be 100% certain that the sea level will keep rising during the next 30 years (or whatever long term time span you want to use), with no change in that pattern, causing 80% of Florida to be under water in the long term future, with absolute certainty.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My point is global warming may have nothing to do with mankind. I don't think there was much evidence that mankind caused the global flooding thousands of years ago in the days of Noah's Arc, assuming that story is true. I'm not sure how anyone could be 100% certain that the sea level will keep rising during the next 30 years (or whatever long term time span you want to use), with no change in that pattern, causing 80% of Florida to be under water in the long term future, with absolute certainty.
I don't care what cause it and not interested on arguing what caused it. That is not the point and that is the old tried argument that has no use in arguing about.

What I know is by looking at the data that we have TODAY, we can discern with statistical certainty, that there is a clear trend of seal level rising in our back yard here in St Pete Beach and Clearwater gaging stations. I am not even talking about some other place in the world. I am talking about my neck of woods. You asked what evidence we have that shows the rise and we gave you.

This is your question
Quote:
We answered that. The answer for our gage here is about half a foot since 1950s.

Are you projecting a sea level down ward trend suddenly? A reversal? You better send that to Nature and you would be instantly famous with your prediction and everybody would be talking about how you came up with that idea. The last decades and hundred years of data that NOAA collect doesn't support that view at all.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:48 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
Quote:
Did you check the forecast for next week (in Lakeland, between Tampa and Orlando)? There's a cool down coming, with a chance of rain. Maybe the sky isn't falling yet!

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 High: 77 Low: 55
Thursday, January 5, 2017 High: 75 Low: 53
Friday, January 6, 2017 High: 71 Low: 54 50% chance of rain
Saturday, January 7, 2017 High: 69 Low: 47 50% chance of rain
Sunday, January 8, 2017 High: 58 Low: 41
Monday, January 9, 2017 High: 68 Low: 49
Tuesday, January 10, 2017 High: 73 Low: 52
Wednesday, January 11, 2017 High: 76 Low: 54
Up until Jan 3rd is still early January The trend into Jan 11th is interesting, maybe we'll be back into 80's by mid-Jan? Hopefully settling back to average, let's see how accurate the forecast is. Keep smiling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay