Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:38 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all of my future neighbors! I've been reading here for 18 months, occasionally asking questions but mostly just soaking up all the information that you all so generously provide. During that time, hubby and I were painfully upgrading This Stupid Old House to get it into something resembling a house someone would buy.

I have scraped up enough linoleum, scrubbed enough wood trim and painted enough beige walls to last me a lifetime. To think I used to LOVE old houses.

And now, the dream is all just a few weeks away! We close on TSOH April 28, drive down with 2 vehicles, 1 trailer and 3 drugged cats after that, and move into our new North Port home on May 1. It's everything we wanted, and we were able to find it in a flying 1-day visit last month, because I had so much information, I knew that I could get exactly what I want in NP. Plus, I had spent enough time researching area real estate that I could probably open up shop myself.

I must publicly thank StepHome941, who helped us do it and put up with me. I'm a bit nutty but he was undismayed.

Recently I see on this forum that I'm only one of many Nutmeggers moving to this area. I say, welcome to any and all former CT residents! Come see me after May 1! And I know there's a guy nearby who drinks Yeungling, as I do (when I'm not drinking Sam Adams), and lots of other wonderful NPers who I would love to meet.

Have I mentioned that I'm EXCITED???

One of the things I'm looking forward to is making new friends. Here in CT, in the town where hubby grew up, I never really did make lasting friends in the 14 years I've been here, whereas we constantly ran into people he grew up with, and then I got to sit on the edges of a conversation about the Old Days in which said old friends couldn't have had less interest in my presence. That got old. Now -- no one knows either of us!

It will also help that my home will now be clean and inviting, as opposed to the embarrassment that TSOH quickly became as kids, pets and old age ran it down, and we couldn't keep up with it.

Anyway, I'm going through the torturous process of packing and getting paperwork and logistics for the sale. move and new purchase squared away. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone even though you didn't know how helpful you were to me, and I look forward to life in NP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 01:51 PM

51 posts, read 63,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Greetings to all of my future neighbors! I've been reading here for 18 months, occasionally asking questions but mostly just soaking up all the information that you all so generously provide. During that time, hubby and I were painfully upgrading This Stupid Old House to get it into something resembling a house someone would buy.

I have scraped up enough linoleum, scrubbed enough wood trim and painted enough beige walls to last me a lifetime. To think I used to LOVE old houses.

And now, the dream is all just a few weeks away! We close on TSOH April 28, drive down with 2 vehicles, 1 trailer and 3 drugged cats after that, and move into our new North Port home on May 1. It's everything we wanted, and we were able to find it in a flying 1-day visit last month, because I had so much information, I knew that I could get exactly what I want in NP. Plus, I had spent enough time researching area real estate that I could probably open up shop myself.

I must publicly thank StepHome941, who helped us do it and put up with me. I'm a bit nutty but he was undismayed.

Recently I see on this forum that I'm only one of many Nutmeggers moving to this area. I say, welcome to any and all former CT residents! Come see me after May 1! And I know there's a guy nearby who drinks Yeungling, as I do (when I'm not drinking Sam Adams), and lots of other wonderful NPers who I would love to meet.

Have I mentioned that I'm EXCITED???

One of the things I'm looking forward to is making new friends. Here in CT, in the town where hubby grew up, I never really did make lasting friends in the 14 years I've been here, whereas we constantly ran into people he grew up with, and then I got to sit on the edges of a conversation about the Old Days in which said old friends couldn't have had less interest in my presence. That got old. Now -- no one knows either of us!

It will also help that my home will now be clean and inviting, as opposed to the embarrassment that TSOH quickly became as kids, pets and old age ran it down, and we couldn't keep up with it.

Anyway, I'm going through the torturous process of packing and getting paperwork and logistics for the sale. move and new purchase squared away. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone even though you didn't know how helpful you were to me, and I look forward to life in NP!
You will have to post again once you are in and settled, we are thinking of moving there too and it would be fun to see it through your eyes.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggshenry View Post
You will have to post again once you are in and settled, we are thinking of moving there too and it would be fun to see it through your eyes.
Absolutely! It's the least I can do -- paying it forward!

Old 04-04-2014, 03:15 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
After having our contract cancelled, renegotiated, 2 lenders and one nutty UW, we will be joining you, supposed to also close on the 28th. We will not get moved until later this summer as we have to sell our home, but, like you, looking forward to being down there. Good luck on your trip down.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:36 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Congratulations and welcome to NP. We have been here just shy of 3 years and are still very happy with our choice to live in North Port. It's a nice community and we are growing it seems by the day. I hope to meet you after you make your move!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:52 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I'm so happy for you!! Stephome941 (Stephen is my business partner). I'm glad you had a wonderful experience dealing with him he's a very knowledgeable Realtor.

I also have a home in North Port and would love meet you when you get settled in

Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 PM

509 posts, read 906,993 times
Congrats jmqueen! Enjoy your new place

Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
I hope your new home brings you great joy. Congrats.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:30 AM

Thank you all, and yes, I would love to meet anyone who cares to meet me! I feel as if I know a lot of you already from reading here for so long.

Up today: The Moving Sale. All furniture that we don't absolutely need for the next three weeks is going somewhere, hopefully without our having to haul it ourselves. And the pod comes Tuesday, so that will be a huge pain, but it's all in a GOOD CAUSE.

It's 36 degrees here right now. But sunshine, here I come!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:05 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Thank you all, and yes, I would love to meet anyone who cares to meet me! I feel as if I know a lot of you already from reading here for so long.

Up today: The Moving Sale. All furniture that we don't absolutely need for the next three weeks is going somewhere, hopefully without our having to haul it ourselves. And the pod comes Tuesday, so that will be a huge pain, but it's all in a GOOD CAUSE.

It's 36 degrees here right now. But sunshine, here I come!

Hubby and I sent 3 pods of stuff ahead of us. It is sitting in the ABT warehouse in Bradenton. They are full of things we wanted to keep long term but didn't want in our home while selling it--pool table, piano, jacuzzi, library.

I found pods to be a delight. Not a big deal to pack. We used You Pack brand just because all the transport is done by one company instead of being subbed out.

The best move I ever had was a move of about 5 blocks. I just packed and unpacked the same 3 boxes over and over. It was so civilized because there was no build up of stuff on either end. Pod moving is like that but on a bigger scale.

Currently there is a pod that is 4 times the size of the ones we used that is sitting across the street being unloaded. It is friggin huge. We watched as about 10 electric guitars and a whole lot of musical equipment was unloaded. We looked at each other and said there goes the neighborhood.

Embrace the pod!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area