Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times

Advertisements

^^^

Over the winter months, I was freaked out at how little came on the market that met our needs. I thought that was supposed to be the peak selling season with more listings. After we closed, and after winter turned to spring, a lot of stuff came on the market, and most of it did not seem higher.

There is always another house, but it is hard to believe that when you are staring at zero choices. And stuff falls out of escrow all too regularly. I bet the flipper has to make a certain amount of money and the longer he has to carry it, the higher the price he has to sell for. He should look at you as a bird in the hand. But who knows.

Or maybe someone else's financing problems will turn into your dream house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 05:51 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
^^^

Over the winter months, I was freaked out at how little came on the market that met our needs. I thought that was supposed to be the peak selling season with more listings. After we closed, and after winter turned to spring, a lot of stuff came on the market, and most of it did not seem higher.

There is always another house, but it is hard to believe that when you are staring at zero choices. And stuff falls out of escrow all too regularly. I bet the flipper has to make a certain amount of money and the longer he has to carry it, the higher the price he has to sell for. He should look at you as a bird in the hand. But who knows.

Or maybe someone else's financing problems will turn into your dream house.
You're right … must think positive … must think positive …

[repeat as necessary]

I know you had a lot of stress in your process. I will consider you my role model.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 PM

241 posts, read 480,021 times
I was reading your posts and thought LOL that was me 2 years ago! Just change starting point to PA just outside Philly. I was ALWAYS lurking on these boards once I found them for the 18 months it took for me to get here. And I was on the MLS here everyday too. The time had come for me to move, kids were grown and out. I knew I wanted to move someplace like this, but yeah really I had only ever been to Florida for Disney twice my whole life and had never been to this area! I did a lot of research online, and ended up seeing SoFLGal posts on this board so I contacted her. I figured if I was gonna do this thing, it MIGHT be a good idea to check the area out!! I came down for 4 days, did a whirlwind tour and was hooked. SoFlGal took me around to houses for an entire day in the North Port area. Spent the next 6 months doing the beige neutral redo of the house, took 11 months to sell on New Years Eve no less! Sold most of the furniture in January, had movers transport the rest on Jan29th, flew here and stayed 12 days to set up a rental house in NP, flew back had my daughters wedding on Feb 19th, settled on Feb 28 arrived here Mar 1. Got in touch with SoFlGal again and amazingly found my home quickly and settled by April 18th. Got out of my 6 month house rental and into my new house on June 1 and have been loving it ever since! Ended up in NW Port Charlotte but I end up being in NP a lot cause errands are pretty much equal distance from NP or PC and I prefer NP stores. It is a great adventure and yeah there are a lot of stressful moments (PA house basement sink clogging on final walkthru day of settlement holding things up for several hours, while I have complete laryngitis, better half already drove to FL 2 days prior, and I have what is left of my PA life packed into my car ready to go with my visiting daughter and 2 toddlers who are driving with me to FL!!!) Hmm I have a wacky life...but I would not change a damn thing and am soooooooo glad to be here!!!

Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
I was reading your posts and thought LOL that was me 2 years ago! Just change starting point to PA just outside Philly. I was ALWAYS lurking on these boards once I found them for the 18 months it took for me to get here. And I was on the MLS here everyday too. The time had come for me to move, kids were grown and out. I knew I wanted to move someplace like this, but yeah really I had only ever been to Florida for Disney twice my whole life and had never been to this area! I did a lot of research online, and ended up seeing SoFLGal posts on this board so I contacted her. I figured if I was gonna do this thing, it MIGHT be a good idea to check the area out!! I came down for 4 days, did a whirlwind tour and was hooked. SoFlGal took me around to houses for an entire day in the North Port area. Spent the next 6 months doing the beige neutral redo of the house, took 11 months to sell on New Years Eve no less! Sold most of the furniture in January, had movers transport the rest on Jan29th, flew here and stayed 12 days to set up a rental house in NP, flew back had my daughters wedding on Feb 19th, settled on Feb 28 arrived here Mar 1. Got in touch with SoFlGal again and amazingly found my home quickly and settled by April 18th. Got out of my 6 month house rental and into my new house on June 1 and have been loving it ever since! Ended up in NW Port Charlotte but I end up being in NP a lot cause errands are pretty much equal distance from NP or PC and I prefer NP stores. It is a great adventure and yeah there are a lot of stressful moments (PA house basement sink clogging on final walkthru day of settlement holding things up for several hours, while I have complete laryngitis, better half already drove to FL 2 days prior, and I have what is left of my PA life packed into my car ready to go with my visiting daughter and 2 toddlers who are driving with me to FL!!!) Hmm I have a wacky life...but I would not change a damn thing and am soooooooo glad to be here!!!
Holy whirlwind!!! I guess I should stop feeling sorry for myself! That's a great story. Hopefully we can meet up soon and swap hair-curling moments. I do wonder who buys a house on New Year's Eve … LOL.

I have to fly back up here too, middle of May for oldest daughter's college graduation in Boston. In fact, hubby and I will take separate flights from Fort Myers a few minutes apart -- he goes to New York to help pack up youngest at her college on Long Island, while I go to Boston for a company meeting (we're a virtual company and the job goes with me, but they're based in Boston).

Then eventually somehow [herein a miracle occurs] hubby, daughter and her boyfriend meet up with me in Boston for the graduation.

Hoping to get good news from realtor and lawyer today about the closing...

Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
Gosh, has it been that long since you moved here!? It was quite a nail bitter. Everything turned out fine in the long run. So, glad you're enjoying your place.

Jmqueen- I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will fall into place. If it doesn't we'll do our best to keep things together

Old 04-23-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Gosh, has it been that long since you moved here!? It was quite a nail bitter. Everything turned out fine in the long run. So, glad you're enjoying your place.

Jmqueen- I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will fall into place. If it doesn't we'll do our best to keep things together
Yes, everyone please hold down the fort until I arrive!

I had a bright idea and while I still haven't heard about Monday's closing, my realtor says yes, if the closing is delayed a day or two I can sign everything Monday, leave as planned, and have my attorney deposit the funds from the sale for me once the buyers show up.

Phew!!!!!

Now the only challenge is to get Kitty #3 drugged and ready. Both hubby and I failed this morning to get a pill into him, the purpose of which was to calm him so the vet could examine and microchip him. Now that both of us are bloody and exhausted … we've given up on the microchip (which scares the heII out of me because he's the most likely to bolt if we make one tiny mistake).

We will test drive drugging via food tomorrow morning, after skipping tonight's dinner so he's really hungry. At least if that works we'll know how to get him drugged on the day. After the first one, it will be easy to administer the pills.

Le sigh.

Back to work, where I am behind. Naturally.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Having had a high strung tortoise cat, I have secret techniques for pills.

It is a two person job. First you wrap the cat in a towel, which pins their legs to their body. This takes claws out of the deal and you only have to defend yourself from teeth. Think of a cat burrito. One person holds the squirming straight -jacketed cat while the other deals with the pill.

You imbed the pill inside a soft moist kitty treat. An added bonus do doing this is you can tell whether or not the cat swallowed it or managed to spit it out. Good idea to have treat ready before the towel straight jacket goes on.

You grab the cats head and put pressure on the masseter muscles on both sides, which forces the cat to open its mouth. You put the treat-encrusted pill at the back of the throat. Let the cat close it mouth without opening further. A hand over the snout accomplishes this.

At this point the pill will be in the mouth but not swallowed. Your hand will be holding the cats mouth shut. You stroke the larnyx and the cat will eventually swallow.

This whole deal will take about 15 seconds that feel like eternity to everyone involved. The cat will get over it quickly because the drug will hit. Cat handlers need to de-stress at this point.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Having had a high strung tortoise cat, I have secret techniques for pills.

It is a two person job. First you wrap the cat in a towel, which pins their legs to their body. This takes claws out of the deal and you only have to defend yourself from teeth. Think of a cat burrito. One person holds the squirming straight -jacketed cat while the other deals with the pill.

You imbed the pill inside a soft moist kitty treat. An added bonus do doing this is you can tell whether or not the cat swallowed it or managed to spit it out. Good idea to have treat ready before the towel straight jacket goes on.

You grab the cats head and put pressure on the masseter muscles on both sides, which forces the cat to open its mouth. You put the treat-encrusted pill at the back of the throat. Let the cat close it mouth without opening further. A hand over the snout accomplishes this.

At this point the pill will be in the mouth but not swallowed. Your hand will be holding the cats mouth shut. You stroke the larnyx and the cat will eventually swallow.

This whole deal will take about 15 seconds that feel like eternity to everyone involved. The cat will get over it quickly because the drug will hit. Cat handlers need to de-stress at this point.
Yes, I think liquor is often called for.

I have had success with your method with many cats … just not with this one. I don't know HOW he slides out of the towel. It's like he's coated in oil. And from there he goes directly to the ceiling.

However, I am re-reading each step to make sure I haven't gotten sloppy, so I thank you for taking the time to type them up! Wish us luck getting all three to Florida in one piece -- and their owners, also.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 PM

I wonder if there is such a thing as velcro towels. Maybe starving him for a few days would make him not so quick to reject the treat. Maybe if you grind the pill to powder and worked it into the treat, maybe he would just eat it if he were hungry enough. How does you cat feel about catnip? Our high strung cat would have nothing to do with it because she wanted to keep her wits about her.

This cat vs pill episode sounds like a winner for america's best home video. Pics please of cat on ceiling.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there is such a thing as velcro towels. Maybe starving him for a few days would make him not so quick to reject the treat. Maybe if you grind the pill to powder and worked it into the treat, maybe he would just eat it if he were hungry enough. How does you cat feel about catnip? Our high strung cat would have nothing to do with it because she wanted to keep her wits about her.

This cat vs pill episode sounds like a winner for america's best home video. Pics please of cat on ceiling.
Unfortunately, it's tricky taking photos when you're bleeding heavily. The darn buttons get so slippery, you know?

Ours does like catnip, but is suspicious of it now that I've used it twice to try to get hold of him. And I think velcro towels sound like a business opportunity.

We're hoping that if we grind up the pill and put it into his canned food tomorrow morning after a 24 hour fast, it will work. Will keep you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area