Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 04:09 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been in a similar position to that?

At a position where there is seemingly no upward movement, there has been one promotion in the last 5 years (and was given to someone totally undeserving, I might add).

Been rated at the top in my position year after year and am told next in line, blah blah. I know that means nothing in the grand scheme.

There are similar positions with other companies locally that seem to be growing/expanding. I would have to most likely take a lateral move to start until I prove myself.

Anyone done something similar? Is it better to stay because the grass isn't always greener, or to move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 05:20 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post

Anyone done something similar? Is it better to stay because the grass isn't always greener, or to move on?
Nobody can say for sure, all we can do is to speak from personal experience.

In my case, once I woke up and smelled the coffee, I arranged my life accordingly. That is, I put on a full court press to change my circumstances elsewhere. It has always worked out for me.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
I've been working a long time and never gotten a promotion. Every move up has been lateral as well. If year after year you've been told you're next in line, they're stringing you along and it's time to move on.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
After 5 promotions in 13 years I reached a dead end due to the young age of those above me and decided to move on, and relocated to another state. Now after 4+ years here I have had two promotions and as a manager consider myself to be at the level I should be, with a good salary, great benefits and challenging work. Sometimes it pays to make a change.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
After 5 promotions in 13 years I reached a dead end due to the young age of those above me and decided to move on, and relocated to another state. Now after 4+ years here I have had two promotions and as a manager consider myself to be at the level I should be, with a good salary, great benefits and challenging work. Sometimes it pays to make a change.

Good for you! Congrats-

As for the OP....how long are you going to let your employer dangle the carrot? For me, it was two years, being passed over for an uneducated bully that did nothing but cause problems...well I resigned.

But no one can answer this question but you-see what else is out there...couldn't hurt.

Good luck-

Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
You have to make your own promotion.

1) I look at the annual report to see if a company is growing or stagnant. The next most important thing is the headcount.

2) Is the headcount increasing with the revenue? If it is not increasing, they may be outsourcing the growth. There will be no room for promotion.

3) Google and bookmark the industry news websites. Who are the fasting growing companies? Who is getting trouble and may be sold or shut down?

Select a fast growing company. You may even be able to switch companies directly into a promotion.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:30 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
I'm sort of in the same position. I've applied to many positions in my company and have never had an interview. Time to go, I think. I had to kind of mourn that though and I think its healthy because I won't take that negativity somewhere else.

How about doing both, wait but also apply to other companies. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Has anyone been in a similar position to that?

At a position where there is seemingly no upward movement, there has been one promotion in the last 5 years (and was given to someone totally undeserving, I might add).

Been rated at the top in my position year after year and am told next in line, blah blah. I know that means nothing in the grand scheme.

There are similar positions with other companies locally that seem to be growing/expanding. I would have to most likely take a lateral move to start until I prove myself.

If that's the situation, you made the case to get up and out yourself.

After that much time and good ratings, you deserve to be rewarded for it. Best of luck!

Old 10-20-2015, 10:42 AM

108 posts, read 184,564 times
I have been on a Police promotion board for over a year now, still no word on when or if it will happen...list expires in Aug I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment