Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 PM

241 posts, read 480,215 times

Advertisements

jmqueen--I don't know about the New Years Eve house buying thing, but after the house being on the market from March 1st with only a lousy offer in June, it did nothing until Dec 31 when I had 3 offers at once in a 4 hour period!!...I dunno you figure that one out! LOL

SoFlGal--yes indeed we have been here 2 years now! No more crazy stress, and glad we made the move! I see you have moved as well. Time flies when you're having rum! I mean fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
jmqueen--I don't know about the New Years Eve house buying thing, but after the house being on the market from March 1st with only a lousy offer in June, it did nothing until Dec 31 when I had 3 offers at once in a 4 hour period!!...I dunno you figure that one out! LOL

SoFlGal--yes indeed we have been here 2 years now! No more crazy stress, and glad we made the move! I see you have moved as well. Time flies when you're having rum! I mean fun!
I love hearing other people's weird stories. When my life is feeling crazy, it makes it feel less weird when I think about what other people have experienced. Thanks for sharing. It sort of gives hope.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:50 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
I love hearing other people's weird stories. When my life is feeling crazy, it makes it feel less weird when I think about what other people have experienced. Thanks for sharing. It sort of gives hope.
Amen to that! And I hope I'm giving others hope as well for their upcoming moves, with all my drama.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Hm, well, so much for Packrat. Somehow they just can't get their trucks on the road on time, and our pod might not arrive as promised on Thursday, May 1 -- it will probably arrive on Monday instead.

I talked them into $200 off the price, but that just covers a hotel (barely). It doesn't help with the inconvenience that I have to get back to work first thing Monday morning and won't be able to help my husband unload the darn thing.

Guess I'll just have to suck it up and hang out in the pool all weekend instead.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Guess I'll just have to suck it up and hang out in the pool all weekend instead.
Poor baby!

Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Poor baby!

BTW, I thought your name was something you made up, then I saw one of those House Hunters shows or something like it the other night in Cardiff by the Sea. Is that where you live?

Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

BTW, I thought your name was something you made up, then I saw one of those House Hunters shows or something like it the other night in Cardiff by the Sea. Is that where you live?
I lived there 19 years, before moving to LA in 2007. We sold our place there last summer. We had planned to go back to retire, but it turned too "Stepford wives" while we were gone. For us, it was a case of figure out where everyone is going to go and get there first. Owning there made a lot of money for us when we sold, but it is sad that we no longer wanted to live at what we thought would be our last address.

So were the house hunters looking for a McMansion or a beach cottage?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I lived there 19 years, before moving to LA in 2007. We sold our place there last summer. We had planned to go back to retire, but it turned too "Stepford wives" while we were gone. For us, it was a case of figure out where everyone is going to go and get there first. Owning there made a lot of money for us when we sold, but it is sad that we no longer wanted to live at what we thought would be our last address.

So were the house hunters looking for a McMansion or a beach cottage?
That's such a sad thing. And you did all the right things real-estate wise -- but the wrong type of "everyone" showed up.

I wish I could remember what they were looking for … my brain is so distracted lately I can't remember my own name.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:13 PM

Update, and not a happy one.

Sure enough, those last two pieces of paper are in to the underwriter at CHFA, but now the buyer's lawyer wants to close on May 7, instead of April 28 as per the contract -- and well after my Florida closing May 1.

Of course I learned this mid afternoon Friday, and my lawyer promptly sent that lawyer a request to at least get in the closing by morning of May 1, so the funds from my sale will be available and we wouldn't have to ask Mr. Grumpy Seller to change the date. But of course the buyer's lawyer had already gone home for the weekend, so we now have no idea when we're closing.

Hope to find out Monday. Meanwhile, I have cancelled our Motel 6 reservations for the trip down, and on Monday, when/if we get a response from the buyer's lawyer, will have to change all utility plans for both this house and the new one, including installation of DirecTV and Verizon internet.

Hubby had to cancel the U-Haul trailer for his tools & equipment, because we can't just hang onto it like a pod. He gets it, we have to pack it and go. And we have to hope we can get another one here at the end of the month once we get an answer on the closing.

Meanwhile, the local post office started forwarding our mail on Thursday, instead of tomorrow like I requested. Go figure.

And Mr. Spaz Cat is turning up his nose at all food with drugs in it, including tuna. He must be starving, but he's so damn suspicious we can't get anywhere with him. Maybe literally. (He escaped the house two years ago as a kitten in a bitter cold mid-January, and stayed missing for 6 weeks. He's incredibly affectionate but has the flight instincts of a wild animal, which are turned on at the tiniest hint of something abnormal in our behavior.)

Oh well, back to work. Didn't want to waste my vacation days next week on doing the packing etc. I was planning for today and tomorrow, so I'm working all weekend and will not have to count Monday and Tuesday off as vacation. (The logistics of this are so confusing, it took me all night to figure that out…)

Am I making any other movers-to-be feel less hopeless yet?

Old 04-26-2014, 12:23 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,705 times
Mr Grumpy Seller wont back out for you extending the contract 9 days. He wouldnt be able to get the cash from another buyer in 9 days even if his life depended on it. He'll have no choice, and will submit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area