Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 02:19 PM

25 posts, read 41,977 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

We are planning a move from Kauai to the mainland in order to find a good school for our son. He is 4 years old and on the ASD spectrum. His needs are moderate. We are looking for a small setting where he may get 1:1 support of a parapro in the classroom, OT, and speech services. I am from TX and we were going to go back to Austin but I haven't been able to find any affordable private schools and the feeling I get from public school support for ASD kids isn't at the level we need. My husband is from Pompano so we could move to FL and be comfortable, especially since we are ocean people. Texas would be a difficult adjustment. We have also looked at the excellent school system in MA where my husbands mother and sister live but that is just not the lifestyle we would be happy in. We visited Sarasota a cpl years ago and were thinking of moving then, we had two daughters in high school and I am a science teacher so we liked the school system there especially Riverview High. So I would be interested in a teaching job as well. My husband works for Costco so we would live within traveling distance for his work. I have seen FACE in Tampa, and Beyond the Spectrum in Sarasota. How are these schools? I will be calling next week but with the time difference it is hard to reach anyone while I'm at work. What about community support? We want to live where there are activities and things for special needs families. Here we are always the odd people out and it is very isolating. My daughter will be a senior next year so we could go this summer or wait for her to graduate.

Any help is appreciated. I think Tampa is a little big for us, but it's all about the school for our son. That is the only reason we are leaving paradise.

Mahalo,
Chandra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay