Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 04:43 AM

3 posts, read 1,254 times

Advertisements

Hello St Pete peeps-
I've lived here for over a decade and am finally moving out of downtown and to the water. I've spent tons of time along the beach and love the TI corridor... I'm down to two areas - either Isle of Capri or Paradise Island. I'd love to hear from some of you who live (or have lived) on either of those two...

Flooding/safety/water issues/elevation/community..

What do you think?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 AM

747 posts, read 1,012,097 times
We looked at Isle of Capri and it's beautiful. If you're hardcore into boating, I'd recommend you rent a boat as big a size of what you intend to use regularly and explore at different tides. Some of those canals get really, really skinny water, you have to hug the perimeter close to the lifts and trim way up. I once watched a ~40' cruiser hang out for at least an hour accidentally pitched right on a sandbar in middle of canal. Eventually created his own dredging channel and got out....but boy was that one cloudy mess. Whatever grasses and sea creatures were situated there are definitely no mas.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:51 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
We lived on Capri for 13 years in the Sun Ketch II townhouse condos. We liked it a lot. The Capri civic association hosted a number of events. On the 4th of July there were fireworks on the beach for the whole town to enjoy. Symphony on the beach was a pleasant annual event.

The building code requires that living quarters be above the 100 year flood level on homes built after 1974. The entire ground floor of our place was garage and the house sat on top of it. The street was 5' above sea level. The boats we owned lived on trailers and we could take them down to Ft DeSoto one day and up to Lake Tarpon the next. We had both sail and motor boats. We also had a popup camping trailer in the garage.

A few people have bought older homes, bulldozed them and built new. They did have to comply with the latest building code. Vacant lots are nonexistent.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 AM

Thank you engineman! Appreciate the comments!

Old 03-23-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
We looked at Isle of Capri and it's beautiful. If you're hardcore into boating, I'd recommend you rent a boat as big a size of what you intend to use regularly and explore at different tides. Some of those canals get really, really skinny water, you have to hug the perimeter close to the lifts and trim way up. I once watched a ~40' cruiser hang out for at least an hour accidentally pitched right on a sandbar in middle of canal. Eventually created his own dredging channel and got out....but boy was that one cloudy mess. Whatever grasses and sea creatures were situated there are definitely no mas.
Thank you SJNE17! Appreciate the insights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay