Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:03 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,243,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
They should detail their occupation on the shows or I think some of them do. If both of the couple have good paying jobs and/or no debt they can afford $400,000.
The show mentioned the guy as a software engineer and his wife was a school teacher. DINK couple it's more than some people can or want to pay, but not out of the realm of being affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 10:23 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
The show mentioned the guy as a software engineer and his wife was a school teacher. DINK couple it's more than some people can or want to pay, but not out of the realm of being affordable.
If I was the wife I wouldn't even work down here for the crap they pay school teachers. I understand though they get summers off and that should factor into the lower pay, but what some of the districts pay is a joke and especially with how the kids behave down here which I'm a product of these public schools so I know.

I think in a few years we will have another housing meltdown again.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:42 AM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Read the caption it has for the episode. Young and don't even have kids yet and can afford a 400k house? Must be nice to have no college loans and an inheritance to spend with.
I'm 29 and own two houses right now. Made most of the money from stocks and did some odd jobs besides my main that were 100% savings well money I could put toward more stocks. I was a MLO in San Francisco then moved to Florida.

One of my buddies in Orlando (25 years old) makes close to $80k, he is approved for a home loan around $300k, with his wife's income they could afford a $400k home well they could get approved anyways. He works is a programmer.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm 29 and own two houses right now. Made most of the money from stocks and did some odd jobs besides my main that were 100% savings well money I could put toward more stocks. I was a MLO in San Francisco then moved to Florida.

One of my buddies in Orlando (25 years old) makes close to $80k, he is approved for a home loan around $300k, with his wife's income they could afford a $400k home well they could get approved anyways. He works is a programmer.
I got some savings but I don't want to put it in stocks. I saved while I made more money. Now I work for near min wage because that's all there is here in SWFL other than medical field. I want to start a business but I don't own a house to use as collateral so trying to figure up something that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars to start up. I thought about something like small retail store but everyone tells me retail is bad to get into and to just look at all the vacant shops in strip malls.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:45 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
However, does it really matter if they've purchased a home prior to filming? It still highlights homes and brings exposure to the area.
I REALLY lost my appeal for the show when they did the Seminole Heights episode. Dude claimed he wanted to be close to the water (Hillsborough River runs through the Heights), and they ended up in Oldsmar. As a matter of fact, they barely showed Tampa at all.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I REALLY lost my appeal for the show when they did the Seminole Heights episode. Dude claimed he wanted to be close to the water (Hillsborough River runs through the Heights), and they ended up in Oldsmar. As a matter of fact, they barely showed Tampa at all.
That is why I don't watch much tv other than sports. Full of BS.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:33 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,972 times
Quote:
That is why I don't watch much tv other than sports. Full of BS.
I don't think they ended up in Oldsmar. I saw that episode and I thought it was East Tampa close to river and Temple Terrace. Wife was a sports caster?

Old 06-09-2017, 12:36 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,243,604 times
Quote:
Read the caption it has for the episode. Young and don't even have kids yet and can afford a 400k house? Must be nice to have no college loans and an inheritance to spend with.
Maybe this episode is more to your affordability?

Old 06-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
I don't think they ended up in Oldsmar. I saw that episode and I thought it was East Tampa close to river and Temple Terrace. Wife was a sports caster?
Was she hot? Just had to throw that in there.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:24 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
I got some savings but I don't want to put it in stocks. I saved while I made more money. Now I work for near min wage because that's all there is here in SWFL other than medical field. I want to start a business but I don't own a house to use as collateral so trying to figure up something that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars to start up. I thought about something like small retail store but everyone tells me retail is bad to get into and to just look at all the vacant shops in strip malls.
Retail requires a lot of working capital because it's common to lose money the first year or more.

I'd look into more online type of business, where you can sell a product, market it on facebook, get on amazon prime etc. The thing is creating the product. You could also start your own service type business such as landscaping or painting or handyman type of work and get on angies list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay