Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Hurriance Irma, are you Sheltering in Place or Evacuating Northward?
Sheltering in Place - Always Planned To Stay 29 50.00%
Sheltering in Place - Had a Change of Heart and Staying 11 18.97%
Evacuating - Had a change of Heart and Leaving the Area 4 6.90%
Evacuating - Always Planned To Leave 3 5.17%
I'm not in Tampa Bay Area 11 18.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
had the path not changed yesterday to east FL/ATL coast, I was going to leave yesterday....a direct hit will look at ground zero at Hiroshima. No matter how strong your home is, it won't withstand that and I wasn't going to chance it in 20 yr old house even though I have hurricane shutters and outside a floodzone.
We were on the bubble whether to go or not, but same as you we saw the projected path move east and decided to stay. We were debating on whether to put up hurricane shutters. First floor isn't too bad, but had more windows on 2nd story. Had company doing neighbors house and decided to have them do it, price was pretty reasonable. So we are now living in a "cave" environment and hunkered down for the duration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 11:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Sounds like Sunday morning (early a.m.), I'll be glued to the TV for the remainder of the day and into Monday/Tues.....NFL football season and weather will be must see TV.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 AM

Yep, from what I just saw on Weather Channel, they said between 8PM Saturday and 8AM on Sunday, worst possible time as you can't see what's going on around you.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:25 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Pinellas County just issued mandatory evac for zone A

FYI - your zone is printed on your water/sewer bill

Old 09-07-2017, 11:42 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
Thoughts and prayers from Texas. Stay safe!

Old 09-07-2017, 03:47 PM

428 posts, read 416,095 times
Channel 8 just said at 530 that the path just shifted westward again... But didn't say by how much, because they can't predict that precisely- just said that it's changed a bit (and likely will continue to...).

... Going south then coming back north on Bruce B Downs between 430-520 was much better than a regular workday... I think half of New Tampa left last night! Lol.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
Channel 8 just said at 530 that the path just shifted westward again... But didn't say by how much, because they can't predict that precisely- just said that it's changed a bit (and likely will continue to...).

... Going south then coming back north on Bruce B Downs between 430-520 was much better than a regular workday... I think half of New Tampa left last night! Lol.
I believe we've already seen that shift in the models and they are reporting based on what's already been shared here as nothing new has been officially released.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:28 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Now a little more to the west jest. Just a change of 30 to 50 miles can mean going from 50mph winds to 80, and a shift of 60 miles or even closer can mean over a 110mph. Looks like the ridge has built back in just a tiny bit. I see a spoke of upper level energy in the west gulf that could help keep it more to the east. But if the ridge hangs strong it can come as far as Keyewest and then south of Napels and string up the whole west coast just inland of downtown Tampa.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I believe we've already seen that shift in the models and they are reporting based on what's already been shared here as nothing new has been officially released.
looks like it'll be shifting back and forth over the next few days.....but not good news this afternoon for folks on our side of the state

Old 09-07-2017, 04:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
I am at our 2nd home in Mexico.

Funny story:

My cousin and family live near Daytona. Yesterday, exchanging emails, I told her if she wanted to bring everyone (2 grown kids and 2 grandkids) to our home, they are welcome to stay there (she's thinking it will be worse on East coast). I told her there's a key hidden outside the house, but needed to check with my husband on where exactly it is (he moves it from time to time). She said she'd get back to me as they were also considering leaving FL for points north.

This morning my property manager tells me he went to our home and moved everything outside to the inside. I was impressed! He also sent pics.

Told my husband what was going on. He asks, did the property manager mention the gas grill? Yeah, I said, don't worry, he took that inside too.

He tells me: the house key is in a magnetic holder on the underside of the gas grill.

Turns out my cousin and family had already decided to and left to stay with friends in central GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay