Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 03:31 PM

20 posts, read 19,817 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving from Va Beach to Tampa. My last deciding factor might be my daughter's allergies. She is currently receiving allergy shots but pollen is a big thing for her. I have read various reports and it would seem that Virginia Beach actually has more allergens but Tampa has a longer duration of allergy seasons. Since is generally always warm it sounds like the pollen is always in full effect. I have read other forums and some people from the north say they get allergies and some have no issues. I am looking for someone specially from this area who has really bad allergies that can give me some input. Thanks!!!

Kay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 03:51 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
I moved here from Northern Virginia. I am allergic to oak and ragweed pollen. I thought the DC area allergies were bad. Pollen here is just as bad. Autumn (ragweed) through spring (oak) is the worst. There is also mold here and other pollens.

The only thing that is better here is there is no smog. Mid-Atlantic is full of horrible smog.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Would you say it is worst because it is generally warmer? Do you suffer longer than you usually would here? I am going to see if I can get her tested to see if she still responds to oak since the seems to be the main tree in that area. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I moved here from Northern Virginia. I am allergic to oak and ragweed pollen. I thought the DC area allergies were bad. Pollen here is just as bad. Autumn (ragweed) through spring (oak) is the worst. There is also mold here and other pollens.

The only thing that is better here is there is no smog. Mid-Atlantic is full of horrible smog.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:58 AM

I remember suffering acutely in VA but only for 2-3 months (March-April) whereas here I am suffering less acutely but for a longer period of time. Between September and March I am suffering from either ragweed, mold or oak.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 AM

Hmmm.... Here she suffers severely during the spring and summer. And honestly Winter is her only good season. Her allergy shots have helped stop her nose from running and her breathing but as soon as pollen hits, her eyes swell. Id hate to see her suffering all year long. Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I remember suffering acutely in VA but only for 2-3 months (March-April) whereas here I am suffering less acutely but for a longer period of time. Between September and March I am suffering from either ragweed, mold or oak.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 AM

I went on Pollenlibrary.com and compared Virginia Beach to Tampa. First of all if you look at spring, Va Beach has double the allergens. As far as oak though...Tampa has about 8 varieties of oak that are significant compared to Va Beach having about 18. I hope her allergist can tell me something good. And I hope her allergy test shows her less allergic to oak than she was before. If not...Tampa is a no go.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedward7 View Post
I went on Pollenlibrary.com and compared Virginia Beach to Tampa. First of all if you look at spring, Va Beach has double the allergens. As far as oak though...Tampa has about 8 varieties of oak that are significant compared to Va Beach having about 18. I hope her allergist can tell me something good. And I hope her allergy test shows her less allergic to oak than she was before. If not...Tampa is a no go.

yeah that makes sense, its more intense over there b/c u have a wide variety of stuff flowering intensely in a short time

there is a lot of oak here, but yeah fewer varieties

Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 AM

472 posts, read 547,500 times
When I lived in NoVA, my allergies was especially bad around Apr-May when spring comes and pollen just exploded everywhere. You can see a dusting of yellow pollen on your car just from overnight. I'd be hacking away with watery eyes and who knows how many boxes of Kleenex from runny nose. Just never bothered to find out what particular it was I was allergic to and just plowed thru.
Moved to Dallas and the allergies shortened to March for a month, again in line with when trees green back up from winter.
Now I'm in Tampa and my allergies is in late Feb/early March about now. It's nowhere near as intense and duration is much shorter for just couple weeks. My 2 cents non-scientific personal experience.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:29 AM

490 posts, read 583,834 times
A couple days ago I thought some thing was on fire because of the smoke. The smoke turned out to be massive amounts of pollen being dropped from the pine trees with every breeze. I've never noticed the pine trees do this with such quantity its lot finer than oak pollen.

There are several oak species but the live oak is number 1 for the area.

The live oaks are dropping leaves now, this will be followed by the new season leaves and the flowering with huge amounts of green pollen raining in sheets turning every thing green. It can be a mess on every thing. Can really cause problems with allergies. To bad because many have to close the windows and turn on the AC. The winter and early spring are the times you can really cut down on the power bill.
I'm bothered by late summer and into mid Nov with plant allergies more than in the spring.

Tampa currently could be compared to NOVA weather in late April early May with regards to plants starting to bloom or in bloom. The next month will be pretty bad for allergy suffers and keeping your car, house, pool, sidewalks clean and not green.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
When I lived in NoVA, my allergies was especially bad around Apr-May when spring comes and pollen just exploded everywhere. You can see a dusting of yellow pollen on your car just from overnight. I'd be hacking away with watery eyes and who knows how many boxes of Kleenex from runny nose. Just never bothered to find out what particular it was I was allergic to and just plowed thru.
Moved to Dallas and the allergies shortened to March for a month, again in line with when trees green back up from winter.
Now I'm in Tampa and my allergies is in late Feb/early March about now. It's nowhere near as intense and duration is much shorter for just couple weeks. My 2 cents non-scientific personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay