Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 11:48 AM

147 posts, read 157,925 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone here who has moved from large city like Chicago ? I am wondering if overpopulation and density in Florida will still feel not to bad as living in a mjor city like Chicago. I am tired of living like packed sardines in Chicago and the traffic hoping Palm harbor will be more peaceful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 02:14 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo2018 View Post
Is there anyone here who has moved from large city like Chicago ? I am wondering if overpopulation and density in Florida will still feel not to bad as living in a mjor city like Chicago. I am tired of living like packed sardines in Chicago and the traffic hoping Palm harbor will be more peaceful?
PH will feel like living on a farm compared to that crappy city. But our driving, roads and traffic will be a nitemare.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:35 PM

147 posts, read 157,925 times
I am trying to Gage how much of a nightmare it could be to what I live with in Chicago I live in North side of city we do not like city so sometimes we will drive to mall or shopping in suburbs one mall is 25 miles away and on average could take one hour. Another mall that is closer to city limits and 6 miles from me takes 30 minutes to get to.

If I want to go to a city beach that is two miles from me it takes 15 minutes to drive and no parking on weekend. The closest nice beach is in Indiana dunes and is 39 miles from me and takes one hour and twenty minutes.

I have been to Tampa three times in last two years and I did not get caught in any traffic . I want to honeymoon island and there was a line once waited ten minutes to get in plenty of parking . What to the fort de Santos beach no traffic empty parking lots.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I am trying to Gage how much of a nightmare it could be to what I live with in Chicago I live in North side of city we do not like city so sometimes we will drive to mall or shopping in suburbs one mall is 25 miles away and on average could take one hour. Another mall that is closer to city limits and 6 miles from me takes 30 minutes to get to.

If I want to go to a city beach that is two miles from me it takes 15 minutes to drive and no parking on weekend. The closest nice beach is in Indiana dunes and is 39 miles from me and takes one hour and twenty minutes.

I have been to Tampa three times in last two years and I did not get caught in any traffic . I want to honeymoon island and there was a line once waited ten minutes to get in plenty of parking . What to the fort de Santos beach no traffic empty parking lots.
PH to the beaches is not that bad. But driving on US19 is a nitemare. Worst road in the U.S. and with the most deaths. I am sure our traffic is not like where you come from. Just stay away from the beaches during spring break jake. Can take two hours to go 2 miles to Clearwater beach. Otherwise go early and easy parking and driving.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 PM

794 posts, read 1,861,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
PH to the beaches is not that bad. But driving on US19 is a nitemare. Worst road in the U.S. and with the most deaths. I am sure our traffic is not like where you come from. Just stay away from the beaches during spring break jake. Can take two hours to go 2 miles to Clearwater beach. Otherwise go early and easy parking and driving.
Sorry, I-4 statistically is much worse than US19 in terms of Deaths and traffic. Lena

Old 06-17-2018, 08:47 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Yup. One time it took me a whole day to travel 2 miles in my neck woods just outside of Tampa.

Yeah....there was a huge accident and road was closed until the police finished investigating.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:27 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:

Living in Chicago you'll need to realize that public transportation is pretty much nonexistent in the Bay Area. I realize you didn't mention it, but just in case you thought you might grab a train and go into Tampa or something, it's not going to happen.

RM

Old 06-18-2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Sorry, I-4 statistically is much worse than US19 in terms of Deaths and traffic. Lena
Not a chance lance. More peeps are killed walking across US19 than any other road.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:41 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Density is all in perspective. Even within Chicago itself there are several elements at play:
1) How much space can you afford?
2) What is the quality of said space?
3) What are neighbors like in space?
4) How many neighbors in space?
5) Tolerance for Crowds?
6) Tolerance for/Desire to walk/metro?
7) Green Spaces Present
8) Eustress (fun) Present (offset?)
9) Proximity to Work
10) Proximity to Daily Conveniences
11) Personal/Property Security?
12) General preferences? What exactly is it that makes you feel packed in like a sardine?

I recently spent time in several mega cities, and especially in Tokyo, I never felt bothered or overcrowded, in spite of there being massive crowds in certain places and our place of stay being quite small. But yet there are times sitting in traffic in Bradenton when I miss multiple light cycles on a turn due to traffic crowding eliminating the turn lane by stopping in the middle, when I’m literally ready to throw something at my floor (not breakable, of course) to vent my frustration. 30 mins to go 5 miles should not happen here. So that’s why I really can’t answer your question. Personally, even though I live in Suburb/Exurban Tampa, I kind of like the bustle of big cities. But yet, I also thoroughly enjoy in some ways having more city to explore and knowing i have dozens of miles of quiet older back streets or 500+ acre park spaces to lose everyone in. I can tell you statistically that Chicago City is about 4x as dense as Tampa City, and that it’s much more so than Palm Harbor and that odds significantly indicate you’ll be in less crowded spaces, and the domain in which you live will be way larger in Palm Harbor. But does that answer your question about confined-ness? Not sure. Hong Kong is maybe the most consistently dense city in the world, but yet one can take a 30 minute walk/metro and be in a lush mountainous jungle with monkeys leaping overhead and only the sound of your footsteps. And that’s pretty open to me. The things that would bother me about city living are excessive vehicular traffic with lack of other options, concerns about safety, expense, impolite neighbors, a concrete jungle where it’s tough to access nature. Some other things don’t bother me much at all, and I even enjoy them, by themselves.

Maybe (definitely) actually spend a couple weeks down here living like a local down here, including commuting at busy times, instead of just a vacation? I know it’s cliche to say that, but it’s surprising more people don’t do that before moving somewhere by choice.

I know I launched a diatribe, but again, to fully help you, we need to know what bothers you about city living (or, what you enjoy for that matter), your budget/earnings potential, etc. but I do think it would be a good move for you overall as it certainly won’t be as urbane as Chicago. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM

240 posts, read 286,933 times
Quote:
Not a chance lance. More peeps are killed walking across US19 than any other road.
Now that 19 is elevated for a good portion of it, not many people can cross there. They always try to cross at night too. Just asking for it. And all roads suck here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay