Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:59 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,878 times

Advertisements

Bringing this question up because I see that Orlando extended their commuter rail all the way south into Poinciana recently. Their commuter rail now touches 4 counties. Why is it that Orlando that is a smaller metro (and catching up) than Tampa and younger able to get a commuter rail together before Tampa. Miami has had one for years as it is the biggest metro region in Florida. But looking at the CSX System Map for Tampa Bay, there are some lines that appear perfect to start off with going North and South. Example a Commuter rail going South from Land o Lakes to near ybor and would have to turn west on the track to downtown.

CSX lines.
https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/custom...sx-system-map/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 10:06 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Why is it that Orlando that is a smaller metro (and catching up) than Tampa and younger able to get a commuter rail together before Tampa.
Orlando is a bigger tourism area, and I am sure the associated tax revenue that goes along with that makes it easier to implement these kinds of projects.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 AM

52 posts, read 42,733 times
It has been discussed here but it seems that no one can agree to the money part of it. Discussions seem more towards BRT though as logistics and funding seem to be bottlenecks. Additionally, the "mouse" may have made it a better sell in the Orlando area...

Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 AM

124 posts, read 124,313 times
A short commuter run from Wesley Chapel area (along 275) would go a long way for this area. Same can be said for the Veteran's route, because the Trinity area is exploding. Certainly, the Brandon/Riverview folks would also benefit from a line out that way too. And don't forget Pinellas over the Howard Franklin, or Gandy corridors. I know no one wants to pay for it, but if you want to manage congestion and growth, it would go a long way.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,854 times
If a private company wants to risk their money on some light rail

County taxpayers pay-I vote NO.

Sitting in traffic is the price you pay when YOU CHOOSE to buy a home in BFE.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:13 PM

124 posts, read 124,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
If a private company wants to risk their money on some light rail

County taxpayers pay-I vote NO.

Sitting in traffic is the price you pay when YOU CHOOSE to buy a home in BFE.
I am certain you are not alone in this opinion. No one wants higher taxes but this is ideological inertia. I do not commute but the economic growth to the area would be substantial. Never mind the quality of life improvement. I CHOOSE that. For the greater good, and the benefit of all.

Do you support a new stadium that most certainly will involve public dollars?

Old 08-09-2018, 03:45 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonablevoice View Post
I am certain you are not alone in this opinion. No one wants higher taxes but this is ideological inertia. I do not commute but the economic growth to the area would be substantial. Never mind the quality of life improvement. I CHOOSE that. For the greater good, and the benefit of all.

Do you support a new stadium that most certainly will involve public dollars?

I live out in the county, so if the city wants to spend money on the new ball park that sits in the city IF they want county $$$$, I vote no. IF the rail line would be such a success then they should have no problem finding investors to fund it.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,305 times
This state will never get its infrastructure for inner and outer city transportation off the ground, there is no political will and
taxpayers wil vote it down. This is one reason why we lose a lot of investment opportunities and also why so many of our brightest young people leave.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:20 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,011,838 times
Because Dade County cares about Miamia, Orange County cares about Orlando, and Hillsborough County sees Tampa as nothing more than a city keeping them afloat. I'm eagerly awaiting the day Tampa leaves Hillsborough and Hillsborough goes bankrupt.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:23 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I watched a program about this subject on PBS. One person on the panel, said transit will always be voted down in Tampa Bay. There is no political will for transit. Put it on a ballot, the voters unanimously vote it down.

In a few months its 2019, yet one can barely get a bus. The bus system is completely inefficient. A commuter train should have been built years ago.

All this refusal to deal with the regions growth, is a symptom of deeper problems. Sort of like a depressed person, that gave up, and just goes through the motions to survive. That's what seems to be going on. Do as little as possible to get by.

You can't expect a population in the millions. Statistics that don't even include thousands of visitors, and snowbirds on these roads. You can't expect an area with all these people, to sustain itself year after year. With the car being the only mode of travel. I'm sorry life does not work that way. Tampa looks like a complete fool, for not addressing this massive problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay