Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 01:37 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband wants to move to Lakeland and I was wondering what it’s like. I’d be moving from Columbia, SC. I know the Lakeland area will be a tad bit smaller than here, but I was hoping there’d still be fun stuff to do. I’m 20 and my husband is 19. We already have found a place to live if we do move. So not worried there. Just wondering what activities can be done, how’s the nightlife? I’m used to 98 degree weather with a heat index of 108. So that won’t bother me or him. And we’re used to driving an hour and a half to get to the beach. Just general info would help. Some other things we like and have access to if this helps with suggestions are a nice, big lake 5 minutes from the house (Lake Murray), nice rivers, a top zoo in the US, college town amenities, and an active nightlife. We’re coming down this weekend to visit. Also, I wasn’t sure whether to post this topic here or in the Orlando forum. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 02:06 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Nice big lakes with alligators. No zoos in the immediate area, there are colleges in the area but it's far from a "college" town. Can't speak for the nightlife. Can't imagine it's anything significant considering what I know of the area...

RM

Old 07-17-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Nice big lakes with alligators. No zoos in the immediate area, there are colleges in the area but it's far from a "college" town. Can't speak for the nightlife. Can't imagine it's anything significant considering what I know of the area...

RM
Does this mean public lake access isn’t recommended? Or were you being facetious? I read somewhere once if you’re swimming in Florida, chances are you are swimming with an alligator. I love the lake. So I’m genuinely interested. The Congaree and Broad Rivers here have alligators. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone being bothered by one. I can’t imagine it’s too much of a problem?

Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Does this mean public lake access isn’t recommended? Or were you being facetious? I read somewhere once if you’re swimming in Florida, chances are you are swimming with an alligator. I love the lake. So I’m genuinely interested. The Congaree and Broad Rivers here have alligators. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone being bothered by one. I can’t imagine it’s too much of a problem?
You can assume if it's an open body of water in Florida there are gators in it. Gators can and do attack people.

Lakeland is a place of contrasts. Lots of money from the citrus and phosphate businesses and a fair amount of crime and drug abuse due to it being surrounded by very rural areas with minimal opportunities for employment.

Know the TV show "To Catch a Predator" with Chris Hanson? That was filmed many times in Polk County (Lakeland), meth capitol of Florida.

On the other hand, there is beautiful Florida Southern College with some of the best Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings.

Google "Grady Judd". That will give you plenty of reading material to prepare for your trip.

RM

Old 07-17-2018, 03:38 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,560 times
I was going to give a list of dive bars. but your ages are 20 and 19. Lakeland has a lot of dive bars scattered around town. Once you 21 you will have plenty to choose from. Now if you mean actual dance clubs you will need to drive to Tampa for that. I heard they have a huge country music club in Lakeland, I just can't recall the name.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Hi all, my husband wants to move to Lakeland and I was wondering what it’s like. I’d be moving from Columbia, SC. I know the Lakeland area will be a tad bit smaller than here, but I was hoping there’d still be fun stuff to do. I’m 20 and my husband is 19. We already have found a place to live if we do move. So not worried there. Just wondering what activities can be done, how’s the nightlife? I’m used to 98 degree weather with a heat index of 108. So that won’t bother me or him. And we’re used to driving an hour and a half to get to the beach. Just general info would help. Some other things we like and have access to if this helps with suggestions are a nice, big lake 5 minutes from the house (Lake Murray), nice rivers, a top zoo in the US, college town amenities, and an active nightlife. We’re coming down this weekend to visit. Also, I wasn’t sure whether to post this topic here or in the Orlando forum. Thanks again.
I have lived in Lakeland and it is a nice small city - it feels more like a "large town." There are a lot of young people there due to the many small colleges in the area. There are a lot of nice lakes for the public to use, and there are plenty of festivals and activities that go on year round. Lakeland has a performing arts center, a nice art center, and a cute although small renovated downtown around a central park. There are so many lakes it almost feels coastal. It is also relatively easy driving distance to Tampa or Orlando for more to do. Lakeland itself does NOT have a whole lot of nightlife, just a smattering. Again if you need a big scene you would probably drive into Ybor, probably a 20 minutes drive in non-rush hour. There is no zoo in the area, but again many nice lakes and parks for the community to enjoy.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have lived in Lakeland and it is a nice small city - it feels more like a "large town." There are a lot of young people there due to the many small colleges in the area. There are a lot of nice lakes for the public to use, and there are plenty of festivals and activities that go on year round. Lakeland has a performing arts center, a nice art center, and a cute although small renovated downtown around a central park. There are so many lakes it almost feels coastal. It is also relatively easy driving distance to Tampa or Orlando for more to do. Lakeland itself does NOT have a whole lot of nightlife, just a smattering. Again if you need a big scene you would probably drive into Ybor, probably a 20 minutes drive in non-rush hour. There is no zoo in the area, but again many nice lakes and parks for the community to enjoy.

Hope this helps.
It does thank you.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:24 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,215 times
I live on lake Gibson in Lakeland and swim, ski, and ride jet skis just about every other day. A turtle bit me on the but once.
Tampa is 45 min away and Orlando's about the same so there's always something to do nearby.

I wouldn't worry about the drug problem in Lakeland (dope is everyhere, duh!).
And Lakeland's meth problem pales in comparison to Columbia County's heroin problem. You won't find a single convenience store in Lakeland/Polk County that sells drug paraphernalia in display cases sitting next to the register for all to see like in Hillsborough Co./Tampa.

Last edited by KPB; 07-18-2018 at 06:20 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 01:46 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I live on lake Gibson in Lakeland and swim, ski, and ride jet skis just about every other day. A turtle bit me on the but once.
Tampa is 45 min away and Orlando's about the same so there's always something to do nearby.

I wouldn't worry about the drug problem in Lakeland (dope is everyhere, duh!).
And Lakeland's meth problem pales in comparison to Columbia County's heroin problem. You won't find a single convenience store in Lakeland/Polk County that sells drug paraphernalia in display cases sitting next to the register for all to see like in Hillsborough Co./Tampa.
"You won't find a single convenience store in Lakeland/Polk County that sells drug paraphernalia in display cases sitting next to the register for all to see like in Hillsborough Co./Tampa."

Is this unique to Tampa? I thought it was all over Florida. I guess I dont pay attention. Just legalize the stupid thing so people are not strung up on opioids.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:53 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,011,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
"You won't find a single convenience store in Lakeland/Polk County that sells drug paraphernalia in display cases sitting next to the register for all to see like in Hillsborough Co./Tampa."

Is this unique to Tampa? I thought it was all over Florida. I guess I dont pay attention. Just legalize the stupid thing so people are not strung up on opioids.
It's not. I'm sure there are many gas stations in Lakeland that do it too. It was just a quick jab to feel superior for living in the middle of nowhere. Next we'll be comparing their reality TV sheriff to our police chief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay