Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 03:39 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'm slightly confused about one thing.
Did the OP sign the lease without physically inspecting the property first ?
If she did then I have little sympathy.
If she did inspect the apartment first then surely these problems would have been noted ?
I would have thought the very first part of due diligence is to knock on a neighbour's door to ask them what the management company/apartment complex is like.
On the plus side at least it's not cold outside .....
I came down to FL from CT in September and saw a MODEL apartment. The model looked fine (they always do) I put a deposit down on a unit that was to have been available on 10/15. The lease and rental insurance paperwork was all transacted via email. I had already told the rental agent that I would not be moving in right away. The plan was to move in the following week but then things got held up on my end. Right after I came back to CT it was announced that MY apartment complex in CT would be undergoing a major paving project that would last at least 3 weeks. This pushed back my move time. The re-lo cubes I reserved could not delivered until 10/29 and they had to be picked up the next day. I left for FL on 11/1 and drove down with my daughter. We arrived 11/5 so the first time I laid eyes on the apartment was that day--and the first thing I saw was a big wet spot in the living room wall and flora growing out of the baseboard. When I had picked up the keys I was given a checklist and was encouraged to write anything down that I saw that was amiss, and boy, did I go to town!

As it turned out when we arrived THIS apartment complex was going through a paving project of their own (you just can't make this stuff up!) so I had to delay the delivery of my relo-cubes. After I was finally able to set up a delivery date I discovered the active leak in the water tank when a box I stored in the closet adjacent to the utilities closet was found soaked. At that point I called ABF and told them to hold off delivery because by then I was so stressed out and upset that this apartment wasn't move-in ready that I was ready to walk out.

So while all this was going on the apartment complex was getting gussied up for a "corporate" visit. Much attention was paid to the landscaping and the buildings' exteriors (and hence the paving project) Ironically, part of the "feature" of this complex is its fountains which one reviewer mentioned "have not worked in years." Well, they're working now!

So here I sit now in a still empty apartment with fans blowing and a dehumidifier sucking out the moisture in the air for the past 2 days. Tomorrow the equipment will be going away and next week maintenance is set to repaint the wall (a hole had to be made to get to the issue with the water tank) and possibly replace the baseboard.

What I have learned from this experience (not in any order):

1) Check the windows for mildew and evidence of insects -- the windows here are old aluminum windows and are prone to mildew. They're energy inefficient (can't wait to see my electric bill!) Many apartment complexes here have a revolving door of tenants so this kind of maintenance just doesn't get done (I don't think the windows have ever been washed either) The kitchen window has seen the activity of tiny ants (so called "grease" ants) I will consider myself lucky if that's the only bug activity I ever see here in FL!

4) Check the utility closet. Unfortunately, for those of us not mechanically inclined we wouldn't know what to look for. The one thing I did notice is that the water heater was caked in dust (mold and mildew?) and not kept clean.

3) Yes, talk to residents BEFORE committing to signing a lease, however, this is sometimes difficult when you're from out of town and on a time crunch. I was literally on my way to the airport when I put a deposit down. I have since talked with a couple of tenants and one said she had no issues moving in, and the other said there were minor issues but once they were fixed all was OK--so really that wouldn't have helped me anyway.

4) Be clear on what you will/will not accept up front, i.e. yappy dogs as neighbors, a unit which previously had cats if you're allergic and what not. As it turns out I AM allergic to yeast and mold and I should have loudly voiced that when I complained about the leak. I went to the rental office today and begged for assurances that this won't happen again and even requested that the move me to another unit as they currently have 2 unoccupied. I was told there would be a price difference (maybe higher) and I shot back that they owe me one for not having my apartment in move in condition. There's also a daily pot smoker upstairs and the walls are very thin here (no offense to those who partake, it's that it's just not my thing and I don't appreciate it invading my living space)

5) Take pictures of EVERYTHING and document!

6) Find out who owns the building. This was a suggestion from a paralegal (who also said to contact BBB) I found property records through the town's website that show the parent company who owns this place is a Canadian outfit. After this ordeal is over I am going to write corporate and give them a few "suggestions" for improvement (and send them my photos) Maybe nothing will come of it but at least I'll feel better. If I can get them to consider installing new windows and new HVAC and hot water heaters in the apartment units I will have done my job.

So tomorrow I have to tell ABF whether or not to delivery my cubes....decisions, decisions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post

1) Check the windows for mildew and evidence of insects -- the windows here are old aluminum windows and are prone to mildew. They're energy inefficient (can't wait to see my electric bill!) Many apartment complexes here have a revolving door of tenants so this kind of maintenance just doesn't get done (I don't think the windows have ever been washed either) The kitchen window has seen the activity of tiny ants (so called "grease" ants) I will consider myself lucky if that's the only bug activity I ever see here in FL!

4) Check the utility closet. Unfortunately, for those of us not mechanically inclined we wouldn't know what to look for. The one thing I did notice is that the water heater was caked in dust (mold and mildew?) and not kept clean.

3) Yes, talk to residents BEFORE committing to signing a lease, however, this is sometimes difficult when you're from out of town and on a time crunch. I was literally on my way to the airport when I put a deposit down. I have since talked with a couple of tenants and one said she had no issues moving in, and the other said there were minor issues but once they were fixed all was OK--so really that wouldn't have helped me anyway.

4) Be clear on what you will/will not accept up front, i.e. yappy dogs as neighbors, a unit which previously had cats if you're allergic and what not. As it turns out I AM allergic to yeast and mold and I should have loudly voiced that when I complained about the leak. I went to the rental office today and begged for assurances that this won't happen again and even requested that the move me to another unit as they currently have 2 unoccupied. I was told there would be a price difference (maybe higher) and I shot back that they owe me one for not having my apartment in move in condition. There's also a daily pot smoker upstairs and the walls are very thin here (no offense to those who partake, it's that it's just not my thing and I don't appreciate it invading my living space)

6) Find out who owns the building. This was a suggestion from a paralegal (who also said to contact BBB) I found property records through the town's website that show the parent company who owns this place is a Canadian outfit. After this ordeal is over I am going to write corporate and give them a few "suggestions" for improvement (and send them my photos) Maybe nothing will come of it but at least I'll feel better. If I can get them to consider installing new windows and new HVAC and hot water heaters in the apartment units I will have done my job.
Add to this...

7) Check the taps on the faucets ESPECIALLY in the kitchen (see attached photos)

I just wrote the email to request that the lease be terminated.....
Attached Thumbnails
Apartment Nightmare in Paradise-46352965_2709684362378664_5199534154961649664_o-1-.jpg   Apartment Nightmare in Paradise-46368773_2709683262378774_7489007072420298752_o.jpg  

Old 11-16-2018, 01:08 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
I came down to FL from CT in September and saw a MODEL apartment. The model looked fine (they always do) I put a deposit down on a unit that was to have been available on 10/15. The lease and rental insurance paperwork was all transacted via email. I had already told the rental agent that I would not be moving in right away. The plan was to move in the following week but then things got held up on my end. Right after I came back to CT it was announced that MY apartment complex in CT would be undergoing a major paving project that would last at least 3 weeks. This pushed back my move time. The re-lo cubes I reserved could not delivered until 10/29 and they had to be picked up the next day. I left for FL on 11/1 and drove down with my daughter. We arrived 11/5 so the first time I laid eyes on the apartment was that day--and the first thing I saw was a big wet spot in the living room wall and flora growing out of the baseboard. When I had picked up the keys I was given a checklist and was encouraged to write anything down that I saw that was amiss, and boy, did I go to town!

As it turned out when we arrived THIS apartment complex was going through a paving project of their own (you just can't make this stuff up!) so I had to delay the delivery of my relo-cubes. After I was finally able to set up a delivery date I discovered the active leak in the water tank when a box I stored in the closet adjacent to the utilities closet was found soaked. At that point I called ABF and told them to hold off delivery because by then I was so stressed out and upset that this apartment wasn't move-in ready that I was ready to walk out.

So while all this was going on the apartment complex was getting gussied up for a "corporate" visit. Much attention was paid to the landscaping and the buildings' exteriors (and hence the paving project) Ironically, part of the "feature" of this complex is its fountains which one reviewer mentioned "have not worked in years." Well, they're working now!

So here I sit now in a still empty apartment with fans blowing and a dehumidifier sucking out the moisture in the air for the past 2 days. Tomorrow the equipment will be going away and next week maintenance is set to repaint the wall (a hole had to be made to get to the issue with the water tank) and possibly replace the baseboard.

So tomorrow I have to tell ABF whether or not to delivery my cubes....decisions, decisions....

Unfortunately you appear to have missed the crucial one.
Check the ACTUAL apartment you will be renting.
Flying all the way down from CT to FL and not giving yourself time for proper due diligence was a mistake.
Being shown a model apartment only would raise a red flag for me.
What if the eventual apartment overlooks a dumpster or has restricted light or is next to an elevator or has a stoner as a neighbour or any number of possible negatives ?
I'm sorry your move to Paradise hasn't gone as you'd hoped but much of it is your own fault.
And try to put things into perspective - imagine what the residents of the real Paradise are going through right now.
From what you say it sounds like the management company are doing everything they can to resolve the issue.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Unfortunately you appear to have missed the crucial one.
Check the ACTUAL apartment you will be renting.
Flying all the way down from CT to FL and not giving yourself time for proper due diligence was a mistake.
Being shown a model apartment only would raise a red flag for me.
What if the eventual apartment overlooks a dumpster or has restricted light or is next to an elevator or has a stoner as a neighbour or any number of possible negatives ?
I'm sorry your move to Paradise hasn't gone as you'd hoped but much of it is your own fault.
And try to put things into perspective - imagine what the residents of the real Paradise are going through right now.
From what you say it sounds like the management company are doing everything they can to resolve the issue.
While I made my share of mistakes during this process, blaming the victim isn't exactly useful here. This is how it's done when dealing with big apartment complexes. During my many trips down to FL there was one apartment complex I was anxious to view as it consistently got positive ratings, but there was never any availability while I was in town, nor was there a model to show to get a feel for the place. So the only way to see a unit is if you knew someone who already lived there. This made it virtually impossible to make an informed choice.

When an individual relocates for a job sometimes s/he has to rent sight unseen because of a tight turnaround time. If they don't know the area well it's a crap shoot.

The point is that the apartment complex didn't do ITS JOB in making sure the unit was in move in condition.

I had a similar experience with an Airbnb rental which was rated positively. When I got there I discovered my room was infested with ghost ants. Are you suggesting then that every time one goes on vacation one takes a "pre-vacation" to check out the room one is reserving??

Old 11-16-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
While I made my share of mistakes during this process, blaming the victim isn't exactly useful here. This is how it's done when dealing with big apartment complexes. During my many trips down to FL there was one apartment complex I was anxious to view as it consistently got positive ratings, but there was never any availability while I was in town, nor was there a model to show to get a feel for the place. So the only way to see a unit is if you knew someone who already lived there. This made it virtually impossible to make an informed choice.

When an individual relocates for a job sometimes s/he has to rent sight unseen because of a tight turnaround time. If they don't know the area well it's a crap shoot.

The point is that the apartment complex didn't do ITS JOB in making sure the unit was in move in condition.

I had a similar experience with an Airbnb rental which was rated positively. When I got there I discovered my room was infested with ghost ants. Are you suggesting then that every time one goes on vacation one takes a "pre-vacation" to check out the room one is reserving??
Going on a week's vacation is rather different from signing a one-year lease on an apartment you haven't seen the inside of in advance.
You chose to take the risk and got burned but life happens like that and you learn your lessons from it.
As I say it seems to me the management company are trying to do the best they can and I'm sure it can't be a pleasant start to your life in Paradise.
But you do seem a bit nit-picky complaining about dirty windows and dusty blinds.
I mean,c'mon,you're renting an apartment you haven't seen not moving into the InterContinental.
I'm sure when the place has been cleaned up and you've spent a few days with a paint brush it will look better.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:33 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:

None of them do so move out and move forth and north. We have the worst water in the country.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
None of them do so move out and move forth and north. We have the worst water in the country.
You obviously never tasted the water in Santa Barbara, CA--it would rust your insides.....

Old 11-16-2018, 07:51 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Never been in that state and never want to be anywhere close.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Welcome to a Florida Daisy. Sorry you had to experience that. It’s easy to be an armchair quarterback and say you should have done this or that. When you are moving from another state, it is not always that easy. At least you moved at a time when you will get to experience a full nice Florida winter! I hope the place works out for you and if not, you find something that does.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Welcome to a Florida Daisy. Sorry you had to experience that. It’s easy to be an armchair quarterback and say you should have done this or that. When you are moving from another state, it is not always that easy. At least you moved at a time when you will get to experience a full nice Florida winter! I hope the place works out for you and if not, you find something that does.
It's not a question of being an armchair quarter-back.
The OP asked for advice.
She probably didn't like the advice I gave her but it's sound advice anyway for anyone moving thousands of miles to different place to live.
I'm kinda old school.If I make a mistake I only blame myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay