Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,451 times

Advertisements

So I'm a 29 year old Male looking to head down south to escape the harsh winters of the midwest within the next year. I have zeroed in on Tampa just looking for some opinions...

I work in manufacturing and I know that is on the low end in terms of industry in florida, however I know they are there. I plan on getting my resume out there and obviously intend on having some interviews lined up when I head out there in a couple of months. I will have 10k when I move, will I be comfortable starting with that? I will be driving my car down.

Now I know area depends on where you are working, obviously I dont know that but I'm just curious about suburbs? Is Lakeland a nice area? I currently live on a main road that contains a lot of chain restaurants/big box stores yet not in the city... which areas fit this description while also being affordable? Being right next to the beach is not a concern for me, would like to be within an hour or so though..

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 03:08 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
Are you aware of the deposits you’ll need for rent and utilities?
Are you aware of the costs to register your car?
Do you know, coming from the Midwest, that your car insurance will increase?
Do you have a car payment, student loan, or any other bills?

Old 06-27-2019, 03:58 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
There is minimal manufacturing in Florida. Period. Unless you've identified specific employers that can utilize your skill set, don't come. You'll end up leaving or destitute - or both.

Your costs will be significantly higher, unless you're coming from Michigan. Car insurance alone can easily be 3x-4x what you're currently paying. Rental properties are very expensive relative to where you are. A decent one bedroom apartment in a safe neighborhood can be $1,000/month, easy. What do you consider "affordable"?

Wages here, even in skilled trades, are lower than where you currently live, as much as 20%-25%. Even professionals deal with the wage disparity here. There is a constant flow of cheap labor coming into the area year 'round. Service industry is the main employer, and they're paying minimum wages.

Single with $10k might last you six months, if that.

RM

Old 06-27-2019, 05:09 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,065 times
Better to stay where you are and shovel snow joe than starving and struggling to survive in an ever increasing expensive place.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:44 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Check into Lakeland. Employment there is very strong, and there are manufacturing jobs there. Apartments are also a lot less expensive than Tampa or Orlando. In general, stay on the southside of downtown. Money can go fast, so try to have something lined up before you come.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Check into Lakeland. Employment there is very strong, and there are manufacturing jobs there. Apartments are also a lot less expensive than Tampa or Orlando. In general, stay on the southside of downtown. Money can go fast, so try to have something lined up before you come.

Good luck!
Great post.

OP if you can give us more detailed information, we can better help you.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:22 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Do you know, coming from the Midwest, that your car insurance will increase?
Not necessarily. Michigan has the highest car insurance rates in the country. Florida ranks pretty high, however.

Just an added note: It's going to be hard to find a rental without a job. So, staying in a hotel of Air B&B or whatever, will add up quickly while you are looking for work and then an apt after that.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:45 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Better to stay where you are and shovel snow joe than starving and struggling to survive in an ever increasing expensive place.
I would stay put unless ya like the heat here.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:21 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimmike View Post
So I'm a 29 year old Male looking to head down south to escape the harsh winters of the midwest within the next year. I have zeroed in on Tampa just looking for some opinions...

I work in manufacturing and I know that is on the low end in terms of industry in florida, however I know they are there. I plan on getting my resume out there and obviously intend on having some interviews lined up when I head out there in a couple of months. I will have 10k when I move, will I be comfortable starting with that? I will be driving my car down.

Now I know area depends on where you are working, obviously I dont know that but I'm just curious about suburbs? Is Lakeland a nice area? I currently live on a main road that contains a lot of chain restaurants/big box stores yet not in the city... which areas fit this description while also being affordable? Being right next to the beach is not a concern for me, would like to be within an hour or so though..

Thanks!
Hope you come back to see the various recommendations in the thread. We see a lot of folks start a thread and never return.

You'll have enough resources to give it a shot. Live/keep the expenses as low as possible initially while you get established. Perhaps find a roommate. It appears that the massive recession that hit the area very hard back in 2009 has resolved and I'm seeing all kinds of hiring requests by retailers down here. Be flexible with your employment - you might find something you had no idea you'd be interested/qualified to do. While working one job, perhaps get certfied/qualified/educated in another field. It's all a process - career progression.

Just try to keep the living expenses initially as low as possible (college area has a 2-3 roommate situations available, just don't be the one who is responsible for the lease alone - you don't need that burden). If you're willing to work, its here. Who knows, after a yr if you don't like it here due to weather, type of work, hard to make friends here, or whatever, move along to your next adventure to another city.

Today's work force seems to be very transient. In my day, people worked for the same company for life. Nowadays it appears that folks move around a lot - Tampa may be just one of many experiences you'll have. Maybe after a year or two here - move to Jacksonville ---an apparently booming area in my opinion. Worst case, get an Amazon Fulfillment Center job (tough work, I hear) to bide time until you get a job that you feel best suits you. That way you have income while you get situated/established.

Good luck.

https://search.amazondelivers.jobs/

Last edited by TBMorgan; 07-01-2019 at 06:34 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 06:39 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimmike View Post

Thanks!
10K is fine. You have some posters that are freaking out here.

First if you area just trying out the area, look at some other housing options vs. a 1 year locked in lease. Certainly don't bother switching car insurance/plates until you are settled. Lakeland is the home of Publix, the largest grocery chain in Florida. Surely they have jobs even if just in a warehouse/loading dock.

I would rent a room from someone or stay at an extended stay hotel while finding a job, once employed then look for longer term housing. Good luck!

I do like this video on moving to Flariduh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay