Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 05:48 PM

21 posts, read 21,201 times

Advertisements

I'll take any offers of information on cheap property in safe neighborhoods with big thanks.

I'm researching on my end, but figured throwing it out to the locals might better guide me.

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 06:42 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,301,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklindelanoroosevelt View Post
I'll take any offers of information on cheap property in safe neighborhoods with big thanks.

I'm researching on my end, but figured throwing it out to the locals might better guide me.

Any input is appreciated.
It is all relative. What do you consider cheap? Price range?

Old 12-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
It is all relative. What do you consider cheap? Price range?
I left it open intentionally to let folks supply their own assessment, but I'll repeat the two key words of CHEAP and SAFE. Go from there. With your own numbers or estimates and explanations greatly appreciated.

Tampa St Pete area and near surrounding.

I could give a bit more, but I really am looking to maximize just those two considerations for now.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2019, 05:51 AM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklindelanoroosevelt View Post
I left it open intentionally to let folks supply their own assessment, but I'll repeat the two key words of CHEAP and SAFE. Go from there. With your own numbers or estimates and explanations greatly appreciated.

Tampa St Pete area and near surrounding.

I could give a bit more, but I really am looking to maximize just those two considerations for now.

Thanks!
And with that broad of a requirement you're likely to get nothing. I can think of any number of CHEAP and SAFE areas, but the costs for each are wildly different as are the areas themselves. If you don't give some specific criteria or requirements, the responses you get, if any, will be equally worthless.

RM

Old 12-04-2019, 06:31 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Pick one or the other - you do NOT get both cheap AND safe. Places are cheap for a reason - meaning usually run down and not safe.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:53 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,081,210 times
Nowhere is utterly safe, depends on your level of safety too. Do you have children who like to play outside? Be near to good schools. Affordable? depends on what you can afford. Rare bargains to be had here, too many people chasing too few properties, I wish I had $20 for every time someone has said, keep your eye out for a bargain for me - well if I found one, guess who would be lining up behind the others for that LOL. Anyway, Under $300K Parts of Largo, Seminole, they would be smaller homes nowadays, and maybe not perfectly fixed up. Fixed up, will cost more and you may be paying for someone elses (not always good) work. Buy Brick, not frame, long run better for you and better ins. Dont buy in flood zones, insurance will eventually get to you, because even if you dont believe in rising sea levels and global issues, the insurance companies charge for it already! North Pinellas county, lots of possibles there, Palm Harbor, East Lake, Countryside, parts of Clearwater, prob around the $275-$300 k but plenty at higher prices of course. Townhouses and condos are cheaper often, and many in decent areas, like downtown edges of St Pete, currently selling new builds around $500K (cheap for downtown) - schools an issue there if important to you. Many areas of Tampa, east of Bay, North Tampa areas along Bruce B downs corridor, North of Bay by West Chase/Citrus Park, but not much less than $350K if anything. Just did a quick search and found a very small handful of block built, 3/2/2 in pinellas or hillsborough between $300-350K that were single family homes not in a flood zone. Hope that helps some.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
And with that broad of a requirement you're likely to get nothing. I can think of any number of CHEAP and SAFE areas, but the costs for each are wildly different as are the areas themselves. If you don't give some specific criteria or requirements, the responses you get, if any, will be equally worthless.

RM
i certainly didn't mean to be dismissive, but didn't want to cloud with more detail, hoping to get individual's assessments of that intersection of the cheapest safe neighborhood they can think of in tampa/st pete.

i am seeking the bottom of acceptable, if you will, since that's the hardest to determine from a distance.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Pick one or the other - you do NOT get both cheap AND safe. Places are cheap for a reason - meaning usually run down and not safe.
it is relative, but since i'll be looking for transition areas, i'm essentially looking for people to give me the most modest area that comes to mind without being literally dangerous.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
Nowhere is utterly safe, depends on your level of safety too. Do you have children who like to play outside? Be near to good schools. Affordable? depends on what you can afford. Rare bargains to be had here, too many people chasing too few properties, I wish I had $20 for every time someone has said, keep your eye out for a bargain for me - well if I found one, guess who would be lining up behind the others for that LOL. Anyway, Under $300K Parts of Largo, Seminole, they would be smaller homes nowadays, and maybe not perfectly fixed up. Fixed up, will cost more and you may be paying for someone elses (not always good) work. Buy Brick, not frame, long run better for you and better ins. Dont buy in flood zones, insurance will eventually get to you, because even if you dont believe in rising sea levels and global issues, the insurance companies charge for it already! North Pinellas county, lots of possibles there, Palm Harbor, East Lake, Countryside, parts of Clearwater, prob around the $275-$300 k but plenty at higher prices of course. Townhouses and condos are cheaper often, and many in decent areas, like downtown edges of St Pete, currently selling new builds around $500K (cheap for downtown) - schools an issue there if important to you. Many areas of Tampa, east of Bay, North Tampa areas along Bruce B downs corridor, North of Bay by West Chase/Citrus Park, but not much less than $350K if anything. Just did a quick search and found a very small handful of block built, 3/2/2 in pinellas or hillsborough between $300-350K that were single family homes not in a flood zone. Hope that helps some.
i appreciate it, but what i'm really after is the cheapest single family homes in areas that don't command those prices, but are still safe. my thoughts are that they're probably diverse areas of working families. maybe this might be the better way to attack this: where do you get the closest to "hood" pricing, but without the overwhelming crime?

Old 12-04-2019, 11:36 AM

i'm genuinely sorry, if i seem obtuse, but i am trying to determine core neighborhoods that really are the bottom of acceptable, but maybe i didn't take into account who is on this board, so that trying to get this is out of a normal range for readers here, who probably don't really entertain these lower lines. what i'm really after is determining the neighborhoods that will allow the lowest risk for starting a real estate investment and flip business. i'm doing my own research based on demographics, but hoped that locals might color that. i'm going to be visiting in a week or so to basically investigate these "edge neighborhoods".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay