Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:27 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,863,519 times

Advertisements

I have lived all over the country. I have never been called for jury duty. Ever. In any jurisdiction I've lived. Including Tampa.

Does anyone know whether I can volunteer for jury duty in Hillsborough County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,267,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I have lived all over the country. I have never been called for jury duty. Ever. In any jurisdiction I've lived. Including Tampa.

You may have lived all over the country, but it's clear that you've never lived in Baltimore.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
You may have lived all over the country, but it's clear that you've never lived in Baltimore.

Damn. Is that where I needed to live in order to get called for jury duty! Opportunity missed!!!! I did live in DC and Vienna VA, kinda close.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:21 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,267,018 times
I lived in Anne Arundel County until I was 30. In 12 years of eligibility, I was never called for jury duty. Within a year of moving to Baltimore, I was called. For the next 3 decades, I was called just about annually, to where I lost track of exactly how many times I was called. Only once did I actually make it to a jury (Alternate Juror #1), but after jury selection, the defense decided to accept a plea agreement, so we never heard any testimony or saw any evidence.

I moved back to Anne Arundel County last year, so I doubt if I'll be called for jury duty again.

If you really want the experience, just move to Baltimore.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I lived in Anne Arundel County until I was 30. In 12 years of eligibility, I was never called for jury duty. Within a year of moving to Baltimore, I was called. For the next 3 decades, I was called just about annually, to where I lost track of exactly how many times I was called. Only once did I actually make it to a jury (Alternate Juror #1), but after jury selection, the defense decided to accept a plea agreement, so we never heard any testimony or saw any evidence.

I moved back to Anne Arundel County last year, so I doubt if I'll be called for jury duty again.

If you really want the experience, just move to Baltimore.

There is no amount of money I would accept to ever live in the mid-Atlantic region ever again.

There has got to be a way for me to volunteer for jury service in Tampa.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:40 PM

5,980 posts, read 7,395,205 times
You could contact the Clerk's office and ask if you can volunteer. They have an office of Juror Services, I believe, which you can email questions to at:

https://www.hillsclerk.com/About-Us/Email-Us

Be sure to change the drop-down next to the message area to "Jury Services".

Otherwise, it's a random selection based on drive's license. I've been called four times in probably 16 years and have served only once. I just got called last month, sat through voir dire and wasn't selected. Thank goodness, as it was a murder trial and looked pretty ugly.

RM

Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You could contact the Clerk's office and ask if you can volunteer. They have an office of Juror Services, I believe, which you can email questions to at:

https://www.hillsclerk.com/About-Us/Email-Us

Be sure to change the drop-down next to the message area to "Jury Services".

Otherwise, it's a random selection based on drive's license. I've been called four times in probably 16 years and have served only once. I just got called last month, sat through voir dire and wasn't selected. Thank goodness, as it was a murder trial and looked pretty ugly.

RM

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just emailed them.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:45 PM

5,980 posts, read 7,395,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just emailed them.
Good luck. They'll probably be caught off guard, as I've rarely seen or heard of anyone who was interested in serving. In my last experience they did ask during voir dire and when the one or two people who said they wanted to serve responded to "why?" they said, "Because I'm retired and I don't have anything else to do."

I can't imagine being *that* bored in retirement. Yikes.

RM

Old 06-18-2019, 05:01 PM

656 posts, read 1,376,537 times
I have never heard or anybody actually wanting to go through that

Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,434,733 times
Got called once for a murder trial. Before they started interviewing us in the bull pen the guy copped a plea. Apparently they would lock him up segregated from general population for taking the plea? Why? Apparently he thought he could expand his marketing territory by bumping off a competitor, however, to his chagrin he bumped off a mobbed up dealer. He figured he would live longer by taking the plea with the promise not to be dumped in general pop. Judge dismissed us all.

Next one was a medical malpractice claim. A drug totally messed up a nice young teenaged girl. The lawyers took one look at the jurists pool I was in, went up to the judge, said something, the judge told us to wait while he conferred with plaintiff and drug company attorneys. When the judge came back he said the case is settled and said we can go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: