Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 07:48 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,512,361 times

Advertisements

Is Tampa ready to host the Superbowl this season?

I know there are a lot of construction projects going on, are they almost complete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 09:37 AM

185 posts, read 171,297 times
It's a football game. If the NFL is playing football games this year I'm sure Tampa can handle it.

It's not like the Olympics are coming ;-)

Old 07-07-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmikef View Post
It's a football game. If the NFL is playing football games this year I'm sure Tampa can handle it.

It's not like the Olympics are coming ;-)
Its a lot more than a football game. Hotels, Security etc

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/01/us/mi...ges/index.html

Old 07-07-2020, 03:42 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,758,010 times
It's not Tampa's first Super Bowl, and they successfully hosted the College Football Playoff National Championship in January 2017. Virus issues aside, I believe they will be fine.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,116,619 times
Very hard, probably impossible...Orlando could pull it off easy enough tho.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:20 PM

1,131 posts, read 389,014 times
Only the virus knows the answer to that.

If the virus says it's okay, the city has already hosted several big games and has the hotels, airport, etc. No brainer otherwise and kind of a stupid question to ask.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:18 PM

402 posts, read 371,571 times
Hopefully the season will happen.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:01 AM

5,029 posts, read 5,698,354 times
I’ll echo what other posters have said: Tampa is much more equipped to put on a better super bowl week/weekend than the one they put on the previous 3 times they have already hosted, given the presence of the waterfront, etc now. Construction on Water St, etc hasn’t stopped, if anything it seems to have accelerated. And smaller markets (Indianapolis, Jacksonville) have hosted the Super Bowl even in recent times, and still been successful, so no, that shouldn’t be an issue.

The only primary issues will be these:
Is the Super Bowl still going to go forward (or NFL season in general) when they say it is?
How much of a dampener effect will COVID have on it, if a vaccine isn’t present by the end of the year (unfortunately-the answer to this-is, potentially huge)... but then that would be the fault of COVID-19 keeping crowds away, and not the fault of the City of Tampa itself.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I’ll echo what other posters have said: Tampa is much more equipped to put on a better super bowl week/weekend than the one they put on the previous 3 times they have already hosted, given the presence of the waterfront, etc now. Construction on Water St, etc hasn’t stopped, if anything it seems to have accelerated. And smaller markets (Indianapolis, Jacksonville) have hosted the Super Bowl even in recent times, and still been successful, so no, that shouldn’t be an issue.

The only primary issues will be these:
Is the Super Bowl still going to go forward (or NFL season in general) when they say it is?
How much of a dampener effect will COVID have on it, if a vaccine isn’t present by the end of the year (unfortunately-the answer to this-is, potentially huge)... but then that would be the fault of COVID-19 keeping crowds away, and not the fault of the City of Tampa itself.
Thanks. This was the answer i was looking for, I know that they had a lot of construction projects that were to finished before the superbowl and was wondering if covid affected the projects.

Sorry for the stupid thread.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:47 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,408,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Thanks. This was the answer i was looking for, I know that they had a lot of construction projects that were to finished before the superbowl and was wondering if covid affected the projects.

Sorry for the stupid thread.
Not stupid, your questions are valid.

As others have stated, there is a LOT of construction going on downtown that's trying to get done before the Super Bowl. I work downtown, and while I'm not there a great deal now, I have noticed when I've been there that if anything, the construction activity has increased, and not slowed down.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay