Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 05:21 AM

982 posts, read 608,196 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! We just discovered our spectrum tv/internet bill is increasing in two months by $36 and another $25 in a year which will bring us up to $188 a month. Not too happy about that. I need to have internet but would like to do away with cable tv.

What type of antenna would work well with a mobile home unit? We did try a cheap flat thing a 2-3 years ago that you hang in the window but it was not that good and our TV is sort of in the center of the house now, haha. Any suggestions? We are in Dunedin, by the way. How about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Ampl...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 07:21 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
I just use a old 1960's type like we had in the old days. A smaller RCA will work.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I just use a old 1960's type like we had in the old days. A smaller RCA will work.
Thank you for replying with your suggestion!

Old 10-11-2021, 11:52 AM

880 posts, read 564,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Hi, everyone! We just discovered our spectrum tv/internet bill is increasing in two months by $36 and another $25 in a year which will bring us up to $188 a month. Not too happy about that. I need to have internet but would like to do away with cable tv.

What type of antenna would work well with a mobile home unit? We did try a cheap flat thing a 2-3 years ago that you hang in the window but it was not that good and our TV is sort of in the center of the house now, haha. Any suggestions? We are in Dunedin, by the way. How about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Ampl...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

LOTS of advice here... first of all, I assume you're going to be keeping internet, right?

Have you thought about getting a Roku TV? Just to preface, I swear... I do not work for ROKU and I do not get any money for them.

But I have been enthralled with Roku. I bought a massive 70" ROKU TV from Walmart a couple of months ago, and I've been astounded by how fantastic it is. I've always had a Roku, but I'd only ever used it for a few channels that I'd download.

What I didn't realize is that there are over 1,000+ "streaming" channels that are offered by Roku.

if you get the Roku TV, the "Live TV" which has all the Over The Air channels, get mixed in with the Roku internet streaming channels. I have more channels available to me than I do from Spectrum cable. I have the FULL Spectrum package... cable, internet, everything. I pay something absurd like $270 bucks. Wife insists that she wants cable, because that's what she's used to, but I haven't gone to Cable TV in like 5 months, and I don't miss it at all. EVERYTHING I want to watch is on the Roku streaming channels.

Anyway, to answer your question, a "powered" antenna will give you all the channels. I'm in your area (Tampa) and we have about ~70 channels available to us. If you mount an antenna in your attic, one that's boosted (powered gain), you can expect about ~75 channels. If you mount it to your roof, and make it directional, possibly even 90+ channels.

Buy a Roku TV and you'll get those 1000+ channels integrated with those channels, and you'll never want cable again.

As an FYI, I bought this TV from Walmart: 70" ONN 4k UHD Roku TV

I think I paid $528 bucks...

Old 10-11-2021, 11:58 AM

Oh wow, Atari, I had no idea. We use a roku stick currently and yes, need to keep internet. We just bought a tv last year though and hate to buy a different one. But something to look into, thank you!

We do like to watch news in local stations though.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:06 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
I got zero channels when I tried a Mohu antenna. I took it back to BB. You have to have a clear shot to the signal.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I got zero channels when I tried a Mohu antenna. I took it back to BB. You have to have a clear shot to the signal.
Yes, we tried a monu as well a few years ago and it was very spotty.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:54 PM

361 posts, read 258,892 times
I played with this a while ago when the local affiliate preempted the French open for a telethon and Digital OTA coverage had just started in Tampa.

I used https://www.antennaweb.org/ and it is still a great resource. You enter your zip-code and get a map of reachable stations color-coded by the quality of antenna needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post

What type of antenna would work well with a mobile home unit? We did try a cheap flat thing a 2-3 years ago that you hang in the window but it was not that good and our TV is sort of in the center of the house now, haha. Any suggestions? We are in Dunedin, by the way.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
I played with this a while ago when the local affiliate preempted the French open for a telethon and Digital OTA coverage had just started in Tampa.

I used https://www.antennaweb.org/ and it is still a great resource. You enter your zip-code and get a map of reachable stations color-coded by the quality of antenna needed.
Thank you so much for the link, I will check it out!

Old 10-12-2021, 08:13 AM

71 posts, read 56,027 times
you have to have a good LOS, no metal interference, no trees, powered att/amp

otherwise you're wasting time, believe me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay