Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 09:19 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times

Advertisements

Another approach might be to see what they'll negotiate for if you do a straight cash payment.

I've found some care providers that will cut a heck of a deal to get paid on the spot, as dealing with insurance companies cost them a lot of money and time.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 02:29 PM

111 posts, read 106,676 times
Yeah, so my new dentist actually said to me, that for them to avoid having trouble with insurance, I would have to pay everything out of pocket, and then make the claim myself with my insurance. So how do I find the "negotiated" prices, by calling my insurance? (I have Delta Dental PPO)...

Thanks...

Old 11-05-2021, 03:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
It is not too long ago my dentist quoted me $1800 for a 3 tooth dental bridge.
She is Vietnamese and been in the business for many years.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
get a Capital one credit card which gives you $200 for spending $500 in 3 months,so you get $200 plus 1 1/2 % cashback.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:46 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
get a Capital one credit card which gives you $200 for spending $500 in 3 months,so you get $200 plus 1 1/2 % cashback.
That, or many providers offer GE's "Care Credit" which is a 12 or 24 months "same as cash" financing scheme. Of course if you don't pay it off in time you're going to be charged usury for the whole thing. They're gambling on you *not* paying it off.

-D

Old 11-10-2021, 11:31 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane33 View Post
Yeah, so my new dentist actually said to me, that for them to avoid having trouble with insurance, I would have to pay everything out of pocket, and then make the claim myself with my insurance. So how do I find the "negotiated" prices, by calling my insurance? (I have Delta Dental PPO)...

Thanks...
DO NOT AGREE for this!!! You will end up paying more! Your new dentist is trying to make money on you!

This is what is going to happen:

Dentist will give you the bill. It might be (and most likely) missing al codes. He will ask you to pay. You will pay. Then you submit it to your insurance for reimbursement - insurance will ask for additional info. You will be that middle person between your insurance and dentist. Dentist office will eventually provide you all details about your treatment. Your insurance will dispute few codes, for example cap dentist will charge before feeling because in insurance eyes it's a part of feeling. Insurance will pay you back based on what was negotiated (assuming dentist is in-network). You will most likely receive 50% of what you will pay to the dentist upfront from your insurance company. DO NOT GO THIS ROUTE!!!!

You can call your insurance company and tell them this is what your dentist is proposing.

I have no idea who in their right mind would volunteer to be a billing middle person while having PPO insurance!!!

Old 11-14-2021, 10:44 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
$3K for just 1 crown seems way high. Did you try calling your insurance to get estimated cost? Did your dentist files a claim/get pre-estimated total? The reason I am asking is because in many cases dental office will give you the cost they are going to bill your insurance company without even checking what was max. negotiated amount for that procedure. In most cases dentist will bill insurance for full price out of nowhere, for example, $3K and insurance will send payment and explanation of benefits back stating this procedure should cost $1200 where insurance pays $600 and $600 are patient's responsibility. Many dentists will even get 50% based on first amount from the patient and won't say you overpay - they will keep everything you overpaid in your account as credit and won't even mention it. I had to request refund before and believe it or not dentists played dumb like they didn't know what I was talking about.
If you have PPO dental plan, most likely you have great negotiated prices which is the main benefit of insurance.
If you are planning international travel, you might as well take advantage of it. I didn't have much luck personally and had to re-do everything here later on
$3k is the full cost.
Insurance pays 50% of that.

If you have a recommended dentist, please share.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:56 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
$3k is the full cost.
Insurance pays 50% of that.

If you have a recommended dentist, please share.
full cost of what? Is it including prep work such as rot canal prior to crown?
I can PM you a private dentist info, check and see what the quote will be using that dentist. See if cash option without insurance could be better.

My husband just recently had dental work with crown as end result and paid $600 our of pocket. My guess we have different plans and hence different negotiated prices between our and your insurance.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:57 PM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
Look for another dentist clinics in your own area and this price for a crown is ridiculous. This is only one crown and not the implant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay