Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 03:16 PM

409 posts, read 497,670 times

Advertisements

Talking to a recruiter about a potential role that would require relocation to Tampa and I was wondering what would be a baseline level of salary for single dude, late-20s to live comfortably downtown? The job is located in Brandon so I will probably need to buy/lease a car.

I'm trying to sus out the costs of living in Tampa vs NYC right now as I do live a comparably frugal lifestyle compared to what the costs of living in NYC purportedly is and my income.

Off the top of my head, my necessary expenses (rent, utilities, food, transport) in NYC runs around 2500 probably. So part of my calculus is how much will the "cost of living" difference in moving actually help if lets say, for a VP position in Tampa, I'm getting what I'm making now as an AVP in NYC but without the cost of living [effective] decrease.

Looking at the rent in Tampa, it seems it could be anywhere from 1000-2000 a month (such a big variance)?

I was thinking targeting for 130 to 135ish with 125 as the floor.

Currently in an outer-borough of NYC, where rent is more reasonable so I pay around 1800 for rent now for a fairly small apartment (410 sqft)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 03:39 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
In downtown I think a 1/1 might start around 2,200/m.

Are you sure you want to live in downtown? A lot of people like it, but I’ve never been a big fan to be honest.

Btw, I’m pretty sure I know the employer you’re referring to in Brandon. It’s a good company!

Old 12-06-2021, 04:27 PM

409 posts, read 497,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
In downtown I think a 1/1 might start around 2,200/m.

Are you sure you want to live in downtown? A lot of people like it, but I’ve never been a big fan to be honest.

Btw, I’m pretty sure I know the employer you’re referring to in Brandon. It’s a good company!

Ah I see. Well I selected downtown because I'm assuming that would be the only place in Tampa with similar walkability as NYC. Although I don't exactly own a car right now, so best option could be living in Brandon closer to the office park.

But it looks like the rents are catching up to NYC level rents at least for some places. Wonder if the COL difference isn't as high as some websites make it out to be.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:40 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
Ah I see. Well I selected downtown because I'm assuming that would be the only place in Tampa with similar walkability as NYC. Although I don't exactly own a car right now, so best option could be living in Brandon closer to the office park.

But it looks like the rents are catching up to NYC level rents at least for some places. Wonder if the COL difference isn't as high as some websites make it out to be.
St. Pete is more walkable than Tampa. Are you going to be in the office 5 days a week? If so that should rule out St. Pete and everything else in Pinellas. If you’re only in the office part of the time it might be worth the commute.

Working in Brandon is tricky because it’s not really close to anywhere I like. Moving there would be cheap, but boring. I’d probably look more at South Tampa if I were you since the Selmon makes the commute to Brandon easy. SoHo isn’t a bad spot.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:55 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
COL will be higher than any online calculator tells you. Housing is mad right now and prices are super high. Just to give you some idea, in 2.5 years the value of our house has risen from $425k to $550k.

The closer to Tampa the more expensive the housing, obviously. Rent for decent places downtown is higher than mortgage on decent properties 20-30 minutes away from downtown.

This is not NYC. You will need a car even if you live and work downtown. Factor that expense into your move.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:20 AM

101 posts, read 170,701 times
Downtown, especially Channelside, does have walkability. However, if your job is in person and in Brandon, I would definitely factor in a car. Additionally, as you meet people and want to do things in the area, you will desire a vehicle. The bus system here is workable, depending on where you live/ work, but for outside that, it is not extensive enough. The streetcar is really great for the downtown/ Ybor area, but again, outside that section of town, won't help you.

COL is lower than many areas of the country, still. To have a lower rent, I'd live somewhere in Brandon/ Valrico/ Riverview that is close to your job. Get a car and then drive to where you want to be. Brandon isn't far from downtown and Ybor for entertainment.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:34 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,127 times
Sadly Tampa is among the cheaper metro areas.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:05 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Yeah if you're working in Brandon, you'll definitely need a car. Brandon is a sprawly suburban mess. You can get by pretty well without one if work, home, etc. is downtown or nearby (SOHO, etc.) and use rideshare to go out as needed, but for that kind of work commute, definitely get a car.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:36 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
Definitely will need a car, plus some additional food for thought: walkability isn't all that it's cracked up to be during summer months.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:40 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Definitely will need a car, plus some additional food for thought: walkability isn't all that it's cracked up to be during summer months.
Well, this ^^^. Plus what do people mean when they want "walkable." How far is considered walkable - a block or a mile- and what do they need/want to walk to? This all plays a huge part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay