Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 01:43 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiMM69 View Post
I have been looking online at Westchase area especially around Stonybrook Villas and looks nice. Seems centrally located with decent access to downtown and may not even be to far from some good fishing wish I would like to get back into.

Any thoughts on this area?
Westchase is great. The schools aren’t quite as good as the areas I mentioned earlier but they’re still good.

I’ve never heard of Stonybrook Villas. I don’t think it’s in Westchase itself but it may be nearby. Where exactly is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Westchase is great. The schools aren’t quite as good as the areas I mentioned earlier but they’re still good.

I’ve never heard of Stonybrook Villas. I don’t think it’s in Westchase itself but it may be nearby. Where exactly is it?
I found it, it looks like you meant Stonebridge Villas. That’s a good spot, across Linebaugh Ave is West Park Village with restaurants, bars, etc.

Buying a home in Westchase may be doable for $450k, but not this section of it.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:03 PM

101 posts, read 171,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I found it, it looks like you meant Stonebridge Villas. That’s a good spot, across Linebaugh Ave is West Park Village with restaurants, bars, etc.

Buying a home in Westchase may be doable for $450k, but not this section of it.
Yes, there is Stonebridge off of Montague across from Linebaugh and then Stoneybrook off of Waters. Between the two, location wise, I would go with something off of Linebaugh.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:43 PM

19 posts, read 31,103 times
Just curious about Dunedin area and just to the right of Dunedin but not Safety Harbor. What is the Traffic like from that area into Tampa and any idea how the High Schools are in that neighborhood?

On another Note we are in Banking and Accounting. Im assuming the center of the financial district is downtown but is it? Im usually on the Operation side of Banking so I would be looking at bank processing centers.

BTW thanks for all the info. This is a big help.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitajamboree View Post
Westchase is a great area, though the section off of Waters isn't really considered Westchase, even if it technically is. That area is, however, a nice spot. It's not too far from downtown and the bay is close. Honeymoon Island is a great beach not too far. I think that would make a good place for your criteria.
The section off Waters is Countryway; it’s similar to Westchase but technically not a part of it. My understanding is that Westchase’s southern boundary is the railroad track.
Quote:
Just curious about Dunedin area and just to the right of Dunedin but not Safety Harbor. What is the Traffic like from that area into Tampa and any idea how the High Schools are in that neighborhood?

On another Note we are in Banking and Accounting. Im assuming the center of the financial district is downtown but is it? Im usually on the Operation side of Banking so I would be looking at bank processing centers.

BTW thanks for all the info. This is a big help.
Tampa doesn’t really have a financial district. There are firms scattered throughout downtown, Westshore, and downtown St. Pete. Citi is probably the largest finance employer in Tampa Bay followed by Raymond James.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:02 PM

828 posts, read 692,710 times
Quote:
Hi All

Due to cost of living and moving closer to Family we are considering moving from Hawaii to Tampa.

One kid finishing college and will be a nurse another starting college hopefully Tampa area.

Have one more kid more in Middle School eventually will start High School.

We will still need to work probably downtown area based on what we do now.

So the biggest and primary question will decide where we move to will be what's the best area for a High Schooler with Parents who may need to commute to work in downtown Tampa. Obviously prefer a safe neighborhood with lots of stores and malls close to shopping and doctors.

Home budget may be around $450K.

I do prefer to be closer than not to the ocean for fishing if possible.

Any thoughts?
I do not think it is likely that you will find a halfway decent house in the Tampa Bay area for $450k in the current market. You can find a house for that price, but it will either be in serious need of work (so not move in ready) or it will be in a very iffy part of town (which by definition kind of makes it not half way decent after all in my book). Inflation combined with the increasing popularity of this area combined with predatory investors has completely ruined the housing market here.

In my opinion you will need to increase your budget by about 50% and make over asking price offers on houses to get something nice. Either that or compromise on your criteria. You might be near stores, but they may not be stores you want to shop at. The neighborhood might be borderline safe. I would personally not compromise on neighborhood if I had a high school aged kid. Too much potential for trouble. I would raise my budget instead.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:05 PM

57 posts, read 120,842 times
Just moved from Honolulu a month ago and we bought a house in Clearwater in the low $400s in a great neighborhood. Only been in the house a week as we made offers on other houses and were outbid. So far we are loving Clearwater! Our neighbors are so friendly and compared to Hawaii so many restaurants and stores to buy from instead of shipping to Hawaii. There is no comparison to the infrastructure in Hawaii compared to Florida. Quite an improvement!!

Old 01-16-2022, 08:19 PM

What areas would you recommend if you had a high school kid? We are looking to pump to closer to 550K. I would like Clearwater/Dunedin area but with work this may not work due to travel so now focusing on Westchase or Carrollwood but good schools are limited.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:21 PM

Lucy did you live in Hawaii long? Have kids and research schools? What other areas did you consider?

Did you ship from Hawaii? May I ask how and approximately how much it cost?

Old 01-16-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
I do not think it is likely that you will find a halfway decent house in the Tampa Bay area for $450k in the current market. You can find a house for that price, but it will either be in serious need of work (so not move in ready) or it will be in a very iffy part of town (which by definition kind of makes it not half way decent after all in my book). Inflation combined with the increasing popularity of this area combined with predatory investors has completely ruined the housing market here.

In my opinion you will need to increase your budget by about 50% and make over asking price offers on houses to get something nice. Either that or compromise on your criteria. You might be near stores, but they may not be stores you want to shop at. The neighborhood might be borderline safe. I would personally not compromise on neighborhood if I had a high school aged kid. Too much potential for trouble. I would raise my budget instead.
Below $400k I agree with you, but $450k is probably enough and $550k definitely is.

Quote:
What areas would you recommend if you had a high school kid? We are looking to pump to closer to 550K. I would like Clearwater/Dunedin area but with work this may not work due to travel so now focusing on Westchase or Carrollwood but good schools are limited.
For career purposes, Hillsborough County is better than northern Pinellas. You can get what you want in Westchase for $550k, provided a home is actually for sale then. Aside from Westchase, look at The Eagles (off Racetrack), Fawn Lake, and Fawn Ridge (both off Sheldon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay