Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 10:18 PM

637 posts, read 407,011 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, did you eat paint chips as a kid growing up? They didn’t know much about the harmful effects of lead back then - It would explain a lot actually

The University of Florida has an endowment of 2.29 billion and is ranked 5th (tie) best public university.

The University of Miami: 1.39 billion.

Florida State University: 897.6 million and is ranked 19th (tie) best public university.

University of Alabama: 820.6 million

University of Cincinnati: 1.7 billion

Are you done trolling Florida…NATIVE Floridian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Endowments? LOL Florida doesn't even have ONE college in the top 10, top 50 or even top 100 of the BEST FUNDED colleges!

https://www.swfinstitute.org/fund-rankings/endowment

Even the University of Alabama and the University of Cincinnati are better endowed than any Florida college! LOL!

It's true: "A four year university education" IN FLORIDA "isn't the right path for everyone" indeed!!!!!!!

Last edited by silverct9a; 05-29-2022 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 10:39 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Out of curiosity, did you eat paint chips as a kid growing up? They didn’t know much about the harmful effects of lead back then - It would explain a lot actually

The University of Florida has an endowment of 2.29 billion and is ranked 5th (tie) best public university.

The University of Miami: 1.39 billion.

Florida State University: 897.6 million and is ranked 19th (tie) best public university.

University of Alabama: 820.6 million

University of Cincinnati: 1.7 billion

Are you done trolling Florida…NATIVE Floridian?

OH I see what they taught you at your "quality" public Florida school: make stuff up and when that doesn't work, hurl insults at people on the Internet!

Signed, a NATIVE FLORIDIAN who was smart enough to be educated elsewhere

Back to the OP: Do your research before bringing your gifted child to Florida!

Old 05-30-2022, 11:39 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Since 2 of the search criteria for the original poster = beaches and schools, I would suggest considering Sarasota county south of Tampa Bay.

Sarasota county ranks well for school districts and is home to Pine View school, one of the best ranked gifted magnet schools in the state. It was ranked #1 in the state of FL last time I checked. The county schools maintain an A rating that they have held since 2004.

The county also offers 14 public beaches, although one of my favorites happens to be off of Manatee county just to the north, on Anna Maria Island.

Old 05-30-2022, 01:37 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre D View Post
I appreciate your points but comparing a Tampa high school to Chevy Chase High is rather extreme. Of course Ivy League colleges could solely populate their student bodies with kids from Chevy Chase and Bronx School of Science, but they look for different kids from different backgrounds. I think a fairer comparison is, say, Steinbrenner High School to one of the best public high schools in, say, Columbus, Ohio or Buffalo, NY which is just a little more representative of the average American high school than Chevy Chase which is, as said, rather extreme. I live in Maryland and know Chevy Chase well. I also went to an Ivy League college and worked one year in the Admissions Office interviewing kids from around the country. I myself went to a rather ****ty public high school in Erie, PA (yes, the "mistake on the lake") but had generally good teachers and worked hard.

One of the problems with Florida schools is the relative lack of experience the teachers have. For example, in the Hillsborough County school district, the percentage of teachers in the first or second year of teaching is 40%. Both Miami-Dade and Pinellas Counties fare better with approximately 24% each.

But, compare that to experience of the teachers in Connecticut's top districts, Wilton or Westport. In these districts, the percentage of teachers in their first or second year is 4.9%.

https://www.niche.com/?ref=k12

Old 05-30-2022, 06:06 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
One of the problems with Florida schools is the relative lack of experience the teachers have. For example, in the Hillsborough County school district, the percentage of teachers in the first or second year of teaching is 40%. Both Miami-Dade and Pinellas Counties fare better with approximately 24% each.

But, compare that to experience of the teachers in Connecticut's top districts, Wilton or Westport. In these districts, the percentage of teachers in their first or second year is 4.9%.

Excellent point.

USF provides plenty of "cannon fodder" for Hillsborough and surrounding districts, especially in elementary education. If anyone recalls, USF was seriously considering closing down the College of Education a year or two ago, and when they announced this the response from Hillsborough and others was one of great angst, wringing of hands and rending of garments.

Why?

Because without USF in the picture to provide a constant stream of fresh meat, Hillsborough and others would be forced to actively recruit, likely out of state. Very expensive, very time consuming, and tough to do when you don't pay a competitive wage. The pipeline of grads from the CoE is a extremely convenient source of labour delivered to their doorstep on an annual basis. If that went away they would have a huge deficit of personnel. It's also why there is such a large percentage of those first and second year teachers in the classrooms around here. Think of what the staffing would be like without them.

Sadly, the attrition rate for those grads is extremely high. Few of them make it beyond three years, and even fewer beyond 5-7 years. I know that because I worked in the CoE at one time, and as a TA I saw the numbers. While I was in a small program for a single subject area, ironically, in a cohort of 16, I only know of two that are still in education. Most didn't even make it into the classroom after graduation, they followed other paths because of their experience in the classroom during practicums.

RM

Old 05-31-2022, 10:07 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

That's pretty bad!

Old 06-05-2022, 02:49 PM

637 posts, read 407,011 times
Make stuff up huh boomer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida Endowment: $2.29 billion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Miami Endowment: $1.39 billion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_University: $897.6 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama Endowment: $820.6 million
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Cincinnati Endowment: $1.7 billion

Let me guess, you're going to question the validity of the links now right? I'll spare everyone the pain of your response - Wikipedia merely reports the data, it is not the source of the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
OH I see what they taught you at your "quality" public Florida school: make stuff up and when that doesn't work, hurl insults at people on the Internet!

Signed, a NATIVE FLORIDIAN who was smart enough to be educated elsewhere

Back to the OP: Do your research before bringing your gifted child to Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay