Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 11:55 AM

880 posts, read 563,967 times

Advertisements

Hi! I live in East Tampa... more specifically, the area around Lithia / Fishhawk. The previous owner of my house was a big fan of hedges, and more northern-looking plants. So I have to go out every week with my hedge trimmers, and I cannot stand hedges. I want to replace everything I possibly can.

I'm looking for two specific things:

- Soil & Stone providers: When I lived in San Antonio, this was super easy... I could get rocks anywhere. I'm looking for lots of smooth / polished rock, like what you'd see on the shores of Acadia National Park in Maine, along with some smaller rock that I can use in place of mulch.

- Specific Florida plants: I know this is Tampa, and not South Florida... but for the life of me, I cannot find a single place here in Tampa that sells things like Sabal Minor (palms), or saw-palmetto / sawgrass, or some of the more scrub-style palm. I see it growing naturally down any natural lot, but none of the nurseries have it.

I used to live in South Florida, and when I was down there, all the nurseries had plants that were indigenous to Florida. But most of the nurseries around here seem to have plants that are more... what's the word, what they THINK people who are new to Florida want. Like a lot of simpson stopper bushes, and silver buttonwood, and other stuff.

Would really appreciate if anyone knows where I can specifically get those two things. I don't really see anywhere that provides rockets in huge bags. For example, when I was in San Antonio, I had huge pallets of stone delivered back in the day, that looked just like this... (see attachment)

If anyone knows where I can get rocks / stone like this, I would really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some landscaping advice... and where to get materials?-20200402_135711.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 01:51 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
I can't speak to your aggregate issue, but as far as plantings I would highly encourage you to check out Kerby's Nursery in Seffner. They're local and do a great job of helping you select indigenous plantings and will even install them for you.

Kerby's Nursery

They do landscaping as well, so I'm sur ethyl could assist with your aggregate issues, too.

RM

Old 09-13-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I can't speak to your aggregate issue, but as far as plantings I would highly encourage you to check out Kerby's Nursery in Seffner. They're local and do a great job of helping you select indigenous plantings and will even install them for you.

Kerby's Nursery

They do landscaping as well, so I'm sur ethyl could assist with your aggregate issues, too.

RM

Thanks Morton, I've been to Kerby's a few times, and most of what I've purchased I've gotten from there. But they don't seem to have any of the scrub palm variety of plants, which no one seems to carry... even though they are growing in every ditch, patch of forest, and vacant lot here in Central Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabal_minor

I do really like them, but they seem to be lacking a lot of this stuff too... and last time I asked, they said they didn't know why they don't carry them, but that they don't get a lot of requests for them.

I'm thinking I may start digging up some plants off the side of the highway, hahah...

Old 09-13-2022, 03:41 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
These people say they have it:

https://www.wilcoxnursery.com/store/...tto-p187396328

Old 09-13-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

Holy crap! Thank you!!!

EDIT 1: They're about an hour and 15 minutes away, but I could totally rent a truck or attach a trailer to my Exploder and buy a ton of stuff and drive it back. This is fantastic. Thanks!

EDIT 2: I just put in a request for a landscape architect, they do that too and had a really good website that asked a lot of questions. So I feel pretty good about it. The plan will be to have them draw up all the plans, everything I need, what plants will work, and then I can do it all myself.

Thank you!!!

Last edited by Atari2600; 09-13-2022 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-13-2022, 04:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
You're welcome.

Too bad they don't deliver to fishhawk.

Sounds like you have something to do this weekend! Enjoy!

Old 09-13-2022, 06:43 PM

211 posts, read 140,124 times
Lithia / Fishhawk is not East Tampa.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
Lithia / Fishhawk is not East Tampa.

LOL... ok, "East of Tampa."

I'm from Miami, so my arrogance supersedes your Tampa arrogance.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:30 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
LOL... ok, "East of Tampa."

I'm from Miami, so my arrogance supersedes your Tampa arrogance.
Likely not arrogance, just a concern that you would use a term describing one of the most socio-economically disadvantaged areas of the county to identify the Lithia/Fishhawk area.

Consider it enlightenment.

RM

Old 09-14-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Likely not arrogance, just a concern that you would use a term describing one of the most socio-economically disadvantaged areas of the county to identify the Lithia/Fishhawk area.

Consider it enlightenment.

RM

Hahah... Morton, why are you so bitter?

I wouldn't call Brandon or Riverview... or the outskirts of Lithia wealthy by any means, but it is definitely not one of the most socio-economically disadvantaged areas of the country ... but Fishhawk is a fantastic neighborhood. The home values range from high 500k to just under 1.5 million, which is generally decent middle class here in Florida.

As you and I have discussed many times before, the only frustration is that there's only one lane on each of the only two roads getting you out of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay