Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 09:45 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Does Henderson still flood at the blink of an eye, or have they improved the sewer system there? Haven't lived in So. Tampa since the 80's but still curious.
What has happened is that now it's not just Henderson. It's also Dale Mabry, Gandy, Kennedy, Swann, Neptune, Bayshore, too many to name. The flooding is getting worse and worse with regular rainstorms---despite how many millions they are spending on "stormwater capital improvements" (AKA, making someone VERY RICH with taxpayer dollars for doing absolutely nothing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 09:59 AM

361 posts, read 259,053 times
Thanks for posing the info. I'm amazed more houses there aren't tear-downs. There was a California wood frame builder in the '80s who build these incredibly leaky homes, even one on Bayshore. Heck, even the "Jeter mansion" is rumored to be a teardown:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/real-e...tampa-mansion/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
What has happened is that now it's not just Henderson. It's also Dale Mabry, Gandy, Kennedy, Swann, Neptune, Bayshore, too many to name. The flooding is getting worse and worse with regular rainstorms---despite how many millions they are spending on "stormwater capital improvements" (AKA, making someone VERY RICH with taxpayer dollars for doing absolutely nothing).

Old 10-06-2022, 10:52 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Thanks for posing the info. I'm amazed more houses there aren't tear-downs. There was a California wood frame builder in the '80s who build these incredibly leaky homes, even one on Bayshore. Heck, even the "Jeter mansion" is rumored to be a teardown:

Most end up as tear-downs, but not for that reason. It's primarily because the (new) owners want an address in South Tampa and a McMansion. Many of these lots were small and narrow, designed for bungalows that were built in the 1950s or earlier. Knock down that 1200sf bungalow and build a multi-story McMansion in it's place!

RM

Old 10-06-2022, 10:53 AM

880 posts, read 565,021 times
Quote:

Odd to me that they would tear that down. There are plenty of other lots nearby with smaller homes. I wonder what exactly would be the interest in tearing it down? Build something newer? You can't fit much of a larger home on it than it already has. Really weird.

When I was first looking to move to Tampa for work, there wasn't a lot available, and I had to kind of jump. I ended up in Fishhawk which I like, but as others will attest, it's very remote, even if a nice neighborhood.

We were looking in a lot of areas in and around Tampa... but we wanted to keep it under $650k. There were some nice homes, but it was right at our price range and I didn't want to be tapped. We saw a lot of homes, but they were literally "tear-downs." Homes that were all build in the 50s and only a few of them were left.

It's really interesting... if anyone here is from South Florida... it's the same thing that Los Olas (in Fort Lauderdale) went through ~20 years ago. When I moved there in the mid-90s... most of the homes on "the fingers" as they're called, were all old 1950s ranch style home. They were built during a time when Fort Lauderdale was super cheap, and these were all retired people. I don't think there's even a single one left now... except for maybe a handful of homes that were built later and are a little bit larger (from the 1970s). Almost all of them have been torn down, replaced with big box homes that take up the entire lot... all typically the same, small parking "courtyard" in the front with gates, with a ~5,000+ square foot home facing it, no side yards... maybe just a narrow 4' strip on either side, and a relatively deep backyard with dock. All very nice homes, but it seems like Tampa is maybe 20-25 years behind Fort Lauderdale.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:28 AM

361 posts, read 259,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Most end up as tear-downs, but not for that reason. It's primarily because the (new) owners want an address in South Tampa and a McMansion. Many of these lots were small and narrow, designed for bungalows that were built in the 1950s or earlier. Knock down that 1200sf bungalow and build a multi-story McMansion in it's place!

RM
That's just sad! In my day you'd live in South Tampa if one of you worked downtown. I worked across from the Stadium, and the status seekers there went for places like Avila.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:

South Tampa is EXTREMELY LUCKY it didn't end up like Ft Myers this time............and people there have survivors guilt. "It was supposed to be us".

Old 10-06-2022, 04:53 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
South Tampa is EXTREMELY LUCKY it didn't end up like Ft Myers this time............and people there have survivors guilt. "It was supposed to be us".
Once i move to Glades county it will happen.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Once i move to Glades county it will happen.
Why are you moving to Glades???????????

Old 10-06-2022, 05:25 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Why are you moving to Glades???????????
I wanna be 20 miles from anyone and no traffic and get some real rain. I hate living on the gulf and going dry every summer and never any canes jane.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I wanna be 20 miles from anyone and no traffic and get some real rain. I hate living on the gulf and going dry every summer and never any canes jane.
Makes sense

Also Glades is prolly cheaper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay