Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 08:37 AM

982 posts, read 607,062 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! We are finally here full time and will be going through the residency process. I've been trying to get quotes of auto insurance and they are running 15-1600 for a year's policy. We previously paid in IL only 440~ and I have been quite the sticker shock. We have a 2014 Civic but feel we still want to have comprehensive/collision insurance on it. I've tried State Farm, Geico, AARP, Citizens which is a local one here but think I may need to keep searching.

What are your experiences in Pinellas Co.?

Last edited by Schuttzie; 10-07-2022 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 09:02 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Hello, all! We are finally here full time and will be going through the residency process. I've been trying to get quotes of auto insurance and they are running 15-1600 for a year's policy. We previously paid in IL only 440~ and I have been quite the sticker shock. We have a 2014 Civic but feel we still want to have comprehensive/collision insurance on it. I've tried State Farm, Geico, AARP, Citizens which is a local one here but think I may need to keep searching.

What are your experiences in Pinellas Co.?

This is so frustrating. Did you research and get quotes before moving here???????? That is TYPICAL car insurance pricing here. Why is this shocking to you? It should not be.

Haven't you noticed all the billboards on the roads here from law firms? Selling their souls by convincing people to sue over fender benders?

That's why our rates are like that.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:20 AM

I had heard it was higher but I was only asking if this was a normal price range. I just checked with Progressive and it 's running 677 for 6 months.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I had heard it was higher but I was only asking if this was a normal price range. I just checked with Progressive and it 's running 677 for 6 months.
I have heard Progressive is one of the cheapest but then they raise the rate the following year

That pricing ($1600) is very common and many people will tell you that's actually on the low end!

As are $300 electric bills, $6,000 homeowners insurance premiums, and many other outrageously expensive things!

Old 10-07-2022, 03:15 PM

472 posts, read 547,156 times
Welcome to Florida high insurance. If you have a new teenager driver, that would merely be the cost of just adding the new driver to the policy.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:12 AM

We are both retired and just one vehicle but I will keep looking. Thank you for the heads up about Progressive. In IL we had the same auto/home insurance for 30+ years so this is rather eye opening.

Old 10-08-2022, 05:59 AM

WELCOME TO THE SCAMMIEST STATE IN THE USA!

There are two major industries in Florida: Tourism and Fraud/Scams. The latter is why our car and homeowners insurance rates are so astronomical. Next time you are on the freeway count how many law firm billboards you see. Lawyers chasing car accident claims, and running up the bills.

That's why we pay triple rates.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:09 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
The main issue here is that Florida has “no fault” insurance, unlike IL and most other Midwestern states. In essence, the insurers agree to pay out themselves rather than place blame, in a very crude description.

As a result, insurance costs are considerably higher here, and what you are going to find is that no matter who the carrier is, it’s not going to make a lot of difference. Same thing if you play games with your coverage. The only real variable there is comp and collision based on deductible and the age and type of car. Your required coverage will cost much the same no matter who is underwriting the policy.

This is a well known issue here and has been for years. You clearly didn’t do your due diligence when looking into living here. Just wait until you try to get homeowner’s insurance!

RM

Old 10-08-2022, 09:23 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
The quotes you are getting is consistent with other auto insurance policies.

What about insurance for your residence?

Old 10-08-2022, 09:32 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I have heard Progressive is one of the cheapest but then they raise the rate the following year

That pricing ($1600) is very common and many people will tell you that's actually on the low end!

As are $300 electric bills, $6,000 homeowners insurance premiums, and many other outrageously expensive things!

YUP!

All the savings from not paying a state income tax is absorbed by other expenses that people don't generally know about until they move here.

Depending upon the state from which you moved and the sources of your income, you are either ahead or behind after considering insurance, food, and other assorted sundry fees. For example, the fee for registering your car initially in Florida is $225. And the water bill! The county expects me to water my property with a thimble. Otherwise, lots of penalties for using water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay