Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 07:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times

Advertisements

There are only two areas in the US with nice year round weather and amazing beaches: Southern Florida and Southern California. Add onto that remote work is now more possible than ever and it's not surprising areas like Tampa and Miami are becoming very expensive.

I'm ok with rising home values because no/little growth is literally just inflation eating away at your nest egg. However, insurance should align at the same % and not be increasing 25% every year and be triple what it is elsewhere in the country for similarly priced homes and cars. While it's true that risk goes up, price goes up...there's something seriously wrong with the insurance system in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 08:28 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
This is sad to hear if the only solution left is to leave. I moved here 11 yrs ago when things were still reasonably affordable with the intent to retire in 5 years near sunshine and beaches. With all the sudden surge in COL especially around property and insurance, I'm not sure that plan is still feasible - but where to move to? I am wondering how it will all play out if nothing is done to control the constant surge in price increases. This is all happening before the area is actually even hit with a direct big hurricane event and we all know it could be just around the corner (or not) and we're all rolling the dice. Will it be something we'd all just live with like healthcare cost and inflation price increases. Will coastal Florida become a place where only rich people will be left who can afford it?

I was complaining to some friends in Dallas where we used to live and was surprised to find out they're going thru the same issue with significant housing cost increases along with faster property tax increase and corresponding surge in insurance cost there as well. But at least there's a tech job market there that can support it.

The truth is that most of America is unaffordable now unless you bought your home in 1997. Or are inheriting a crapload of money. Or you live in, say, Arkansas. Or Oklahoma.

https://www.ramseysolutions.com/real...tes-to-live-in

However what is going on with grocery prices and insurance prices in Florida is highway robbery.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:45 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The truth is that most of America is unaffordable now unless you bought your home in 1997. Or are inheriting a crapload of money. Or you live in, say, Arkansas. Or Oklahoma.

https://www.ramseysolutions.com/real...tes-to-live-in

However what is going on with grocery prices and insurance prices in Florida is highway robbery.
Are grocery prices in Florida really higher than anywhere else?
In the past few months, I have been to NYC, Chicago, Charlotte, Atlanta, and most recently, Phoenix. I have shopped groceries in all places, and have not found them to be any less expensive than here. For reference, When possible, my store of choice is Sprouts. If there isn't one around, I seek out Whole Foods. I did shop at Walmart once while in Chicago.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:36 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
There are only two areas in the US with nice year round weather and amazing beaches: Southern Florida and Southern California. Add onto that remote work is now more possible than ever and it's not surprising areas like Tampa and Miami are becoming very expensive.

I'm ok with rising home values because no/little growth is literally just inflation eating away at your nest egg. However, insurance should align at the same % and not be increasing 25% every year and be triple what it is elsewhere in the country for similarly priced homes and cars. While it's true that risk goes up, price goes up...there's something seriously wrong with the insurance system in Florida.

‘Nobody has been able to put a price tag on global warming’

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...12-13&empos=p4

Old 12-13-2023, 03:29 PM

25,730 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Are grocery prices in Florida really higher than anywhere else?
In the past few months, I have been to NYC, Chicago, Charlotte, Atlanta, and most recently, Phoenix. I have shopped groceries in all places, and have not found them to be any less expensive than here. For reference, When possible, my store of choice is Sprouts. If there isn't one around, I seek out Whole Foods. I did shop at Walmart once while in Chicago.
Yes, Florida's grocery prices are higher than Atlanta's (where we moved to SW Florida from) by ~20%.

I was in Western NC the past August, & their prices are slightly lower than SW Florida too.

I think the root cause is the lack of quality competition versus Publix...for decades.

I go to Aldi, Sprouts, and Wal Mart, my wife goes to Publix and buys mostly BOGO's. Aldi's blows away the competition on price, but there are tradeoffs.

Our Home owners insurance is very reasonable here oddly enough...<$2k/yr on a $1M 5-yr old home (we don't have flood because we live in an "X" zone and didn't flood during Ian so we cancelled it. We have the highest deductible Olympus sells.

We've had 1 HOI claim in our 30 year history...plumbing water damage...nothing catastrophic.

I read what people are paying here for HOI, and it seems surreal compared to what we pay.

I met w/ a highly experienced HOI broker before I bought here, and asked them what the lowest risk home looked like, and where it was, and basically built that home, in that area. Others didn't do that and paid the price.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:29 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Yes, Florida's grocery prices are higher than Atlanta's (where we moved to SW Florida from) by ~20%.

I was in Western NC the past August, & their prices are slightly lower than SW Florida too.

I think the root cause is the lack of quality competition versus Publix...for decades.

I go to Aldi, Sprouts, and Wal Mart, my wife goes to Publix and buys mostly BOGO's. Aldi's blows away the competition on price, but there are tradeoffs.

Our Home owners insurance is very reasonable here oddly enough...<$2k/yr on a $1M 5-yr old home (we don't have flood because we live in an "X" zone and didn't flood during Ian so we cancelled it. We have the highest deductible Olympus sells.

We've had 1 HOI claim in our 30 year history...plumbing water damage...nothing catastrophic.

I read what people are paying here for HOI, and it seems surreal compared to what we pay.

I met w/ a highly experienced HOI broker before I bought here, and asked them what the lowest risk home looked like, and where it was, and basically built that home, in that area. Others didn't do that and paid the price.
I suspect part of the issue with grocery costs is logistics.

Builders who build in marginal areas are exploiting people. People who buy those homes are dumb, if they did their due diligence before considering the purchase they would likely run away as if their hair was on fire. Then again, some people are willing to take the risk, too, but that takes away any consideration for relief, that is, you know what you were getting into...

RM

Old 12-14-2023, 07:03 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times
Quote:

Great post. This is exactly what we plan to do should we relocate to Florida.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:23 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:

I'm going to be taking some frequent short weekend trips coming up, including a stop in Atlanta this weekend. I'll make it a point to compare prices (Publix here vs Publix Midtown for instance.) I'll report back soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay