Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 05:43 PM

18 posts, read 45,400 times

Advertisements

I have searched the forums and there seems to be quite a bit about the TS area, though some of it is a bit older.

I currently live and teach in Marion County and my wife will soon be a nurse (if 2 years is soon). I have a soon-to-be three year old as well. Though I now live inland, I grew up mostly in the Cape Canaveral area, so I am familiar with coastal living. My family is looking for a bit more than Marion County and wanted to know if it may exist in TS.

Most importantly, Marion is a very conservative Christian area. I need to state this up front: my family is atheist. We have friends from various religious backgrounds, and care nothing to "convert" them, nor do we want to be preached to. In our current area, if our beliefs became widely known, we would be ostracized to the point that it would be difficult to get along at work and around town. We are just looking for a place where we can say we are atheist, then switch topics. I would prefer to be judged based on my actions and my job performance. For instance, many parents here would not want their child in my classroom based solely on my personal beliefs (which never carry over into the classroom). So, would TS welcome our family, or should I try to make due where we are at?

Beyond this, we are also looking for the sort of town that may have open-air markets, cultural events, good schools with good teachers (for my son and my job), as low crime as possible (residents can tell me more than city data), and a few city conveniences without the feeling of a larger city. I am aware of the Greek population and am intrigued at the though of living amongst this culture. Could you tell me if TS offers this, and where might we visit if we do a scouting trip? Thank you for any help you can give.

~John~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:14 PM

90 posts, read 353,145 times
Personally, I love Tarpon. I don't live there, but I live nearby, and whenever I have visitors from "up Nawth", Tarpon is where we go. Also when I was dating, that's where I'd go to meet my date (in a "public" place). Nice restaurants and Tiki bars, the sponge docks are a fun touristy place, also nice street/crafts fairs. One of my favorite things to do is sunset cruises or nature-dolphin boat rides that are available along the sponge docks.

As for the religion thing, it hasn't really come up for me at all. There seem to be a lot of churches in the area, in Tarpon both Greek Orthodox, and nearby just your regular born-again-Christian type of churches. No one has ever handed me a tract, tried to convert me, or knocked on my door to proselytize (did I spell that right?). People will "share" about their churches if you ask but no one really shoves it down your throat.

Also, if your wife will soon be a nurse (as I am), there is a nice hospital in Tarpon with a good reputation, Helen Ellis. I was a patient there myself and found very little to complain about, and I'm REALLY picky about my health care!

Surprisingly, Tarpon is supposedly only 19% Greek at this time. It's just that it's history, there are Greek shops and restaurants, and businesses, especially around the sponge dock area. It's a lovely little town. You might also like Dunedin.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:39 PM

18 posts, read 45,400 times
Thank you, Diva, for this encouraging post. I was expecting to be attacked (as I often am). I will look into Dunedin as well. We are planning a 3-4 night trip next week as an anniversary, and we will definitely start with a boat ride. If you also happen to know, have you heard anything about the teaching positions there? Marion is under a hiring freeze, making it difficult for teachers outside this county to get a position. Thanks again.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
I don't think you will find Pinellas the same as Marion as far as religion. Tarpon Springs is a nice town as is Dunedin.
When you come down for a visit take the ferry to Caladesi Island from the Dunedin causeway.
Tarpon Springs beach in Fred Howard Park.

Teaching positions are hard to get now a days due to tax cuts. I would check out Pinellas BOE. You might be able to get on as a sub if there are no full time positions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay