Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 PM

12 posts, read 28,108 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, 42-year-old woman moving to the wonderful Tampa Bay area around November 1, and I'm looking for a good place to live. Actually, I was born in Tampa, and can't wait to get back to my birthplace! I'm escaping from the cold of Wisconsin, thank goodness.

I want to find an area that's safe, has good shopping nearby, and good access to the rest of the metro area. I'll be looking for suburbs or neighborhoods with good choices on apartments. I've heard there are decent choices in the $800 to $900 range. What can I expect to find with those kinds of rents? Should I be choosing a gated community? Are they available in that rent range?

I've heard good things about Brandon. And the south Tampa area. Ditto Clearwater, northeast Tampa, and Largo. What do you think about those areas? Or others?

I'm visiting soon to begin narrowing down my options. I'd love some additional advice from those in the know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 05:50 AM

104 posts, read 366,685 times
All of the places that you mentioned are good areas. Depending on where you will be working, with the price of gas and tolls I would make sure you put that in the equation. South Tampa is very close to shopping and is an easy place to live and meet people. Apartment costs may be a bit higher in this area but I would look up some like Post Apartments, The Cove, and Camden apartments--also check out Craiglists because you might find some deals on Condos to rent.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:22 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Another are to check would be Carrollwood, or Temple Terrace.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 AM

Thank you, I just have 1 question is Temple Terrace to close to USF? If I google it, it definitely looks close but it is considered NE Tampa in the For Rent Mag. I ordered, there is a separate section actually considered USF.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM

101 posts, read 427,674 times
CARROLLWOOD, BRANDON, NEW TAMPA, LUTZ.......that's the extent of it.

I would definetly not consider Largo.......many of the residents there claim they live in Larghetto.......I agree.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaborn1 View Post
Thank you, I just have 1 question is Temple Terrace to close to USF? If I google it, it definitely looks close but it is considered NE Tampa in the For Rent Mag. I ordered, there is a separate section actually considered USF.
Yes, Temple Terrace is beside USF...nicest area is East of 56th street, north of Bullard Parkway. Temple Terrace also runs along 50th street which is right beside the campus, between Fletcher and Fowler Avenues to the East of Campus.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,717 times
that price range should give you loads of options if you're looking for a one bedroom. I was able to rent a relatively new, fully furnished 1 br condo in South TPA for 1k/month. Found it on craigslist

Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Thanks Tampaguy3 for the specific street info, 1 of the places I was looking at fell exactly e of 56th and n of Bullard. Thx Fishhead, I was looking at The Fountains of Largo but I probably wont now. And thanks for the great advice on craigslist honu1! I am flying down from Milwaukee next Friday thru Wednesday to make my final decision on place to live and nursing schools.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,717 times
I live in Brandon. It depends on what you are looking for, a 1 or 2 br. But you can definatly find a really nice 1 br. for $800-900 in a gated community. You should try looking at The Esates at Tuscany, Courtney Trace, Hamlin at Lake Brandon, The Addison. Brandon has shopping and resturants and isn't too far from Tampa itself.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 PM

So...are you telling me gated is the way to go? Or...is that only in Brandon? From what I can see some apartments have intrusion alarms instead of being gated. Preference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay