Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times

Advertisements

I didn't say anything because I was busy calming my baby down who was brutally awoken by these ppl.
I WAS NOT MOVING YET, I HAD JUST GOTTEN UP FROM SITTING DOWN ON THE BENCH, THE GATES THAT LEAD TO THAT BOAT WERE STILL CLOSED! BECAUSE PPL HAVE TO DISEMBARK THAT BOAT FIRST BEFORE WE (THE ONES LEAVING THE PARK) CAN EMBARK!
Believe me, when someone knocks me with a stroller I DO SAY SOMETHING if I have the opportunity!

These ppl were of Hispanic nationality, however, if they have happened to be Hawaiian I would have said Hawaiian.....if I knew their names I would have said they names...OK!

Judging by your replies, you do sound like someone who would hit me with the stroller and just keep walkin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
Hehehe. Yet again you ignore what you dont want to answer and dodge and round about the stuff that you decide to answer. No, I do not have a problem with you looking for common sense, if you need some, go for it, I'm sure you can find some somewhere.

So...as for the people hitting you and your stroller...you said nothing to them? So, what you're saying is that you ignored it and didnt say or do anything? You let them think that it was 'OK' to do that to you and there fore you 'enforced their bad behavior' and 'contributed to the epedimic of ignorance'? My, My. I'm not sure what to think of this behavior.

And those poor people at Disney, the ones that you pointed out as being hispanic (for what reason in the story was that important, sterotyping perhaps??) the one's that were sitting directly behind you, on the same set of benchs away from the boat entrance, the ones that just happened to get to the entrance before you did...THEY were 'rushing' because they got there before you did? If they left the same space away from the boat as you did, and they managed to hit you and your stroller, wouldn't that have put you both 'rushing' at the same time?

And no, Algia, I'm not bothered by you. Amused, yes. Bothered. No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 02:54 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I didn't say anything because I was busy calming my baby down who was brutally awoken by these ppl.
I WAS NOT MOVING YET, I HAD JUST GOTTEN UP FROM SITTING DOWN ON THE BENCH, THE GATES THAT LEAD TO THAT BOAT WERE STILL CLOSED! BECAUSE PPL HAVE TO DISEMBARK THAT BOAT FIRST BEFORE WE (THE ONES LEAVING THE PARK) CAN EMBARK!
Believe me, when someone knocks me with a stroller I DO SAY SOMETHING if I have the opportunity!

These ppl were of Hispanic nationality, however, if they have happened to be Hawaiian I would have said Hawaiian.....if I knew their names I would have said they names...OK!

Judging by your replies, you do sound like someone who would hit me with the stroller and just keep walkin'!
There you go with that whole judgemental thing again. ::sigh:: But who knows...you may be right.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:59 PM

What exactly is so judgmental?

I was talking about my PERSONAL experience...anyone coming here from Alaska to New York who is NOT BLIND (As I genuinely fear for the actually blind ppl here) will notice this if they go to ANY Theme park, from Busch Gardens to Dinosaur world to Disney etc.....and will also notice this going shopping around Tampa.....or Florida in general....Tampa is not the only one where the ppl practice this lack of common sense. Believe it or not, Tampa is actually much better by direct comparison to Orlando or Miami, we lived in both and seen it first hand.

People moving here from upstate NY, where people are very polite in general and have manners, WILL have a cultural shock here.....the original OP stated 3 things he/she noticed about Tampa.......so did I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
There you go with that whole judgemental thing again. ::sigh:: But who knows...you may be right.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
What exactly is so judgmental?
Lordy Woman! Do you not even read what you write? I'm sure that in real life you COULD be quite a nice, lovely person, but you sure do not show it on here. Normally I just laugh and shrug off the things I read from your rantings, but for some reason today's rant just struck me as even more ridiculous than normal. I have moved on from laughter to just shaking my head in disbelief. Bless your Heart Ma'am. Bless your heart!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:47 PM

This whole thread was about a category of ppl here that basically have no manners, who are NOT the majority of ppl living in Tampa by any means, but a breed that "seems" to be multiplying........I will point out which ones not for stereotype purposes but more so to paint a picture without photos......next time I will just post the photos and you "judge".....just like that website about the "Walmart ppl"......
Quote:
mandyh
Default Three things I've notice about the Tampa area
We moved here in Oct and I like living in the Tampa area. We came from a rural area in Maryland and these are some things I've noticed since moving here that are different. I dont know if these things are indicative to this area or if its like this in most large cities.

1. When the traffic light turns red, expect 3 or more cars to run it. I actually had somebody beep and swerve around me and go on through the red light.

2. If you are a pedestrian, watch out! They will run your a** over.

3. Nobody knows what the cart rack's are for in the grocery store parking lot's. I generally have to get out and move a cart so I can park. I must be one of the few people that unloads the groceries and pushes the cart into a cart rack.

Oh well. just thought I would share some of the odd ball things that I have noticed since living here. Has anybody else noticed things that are different, but not on the "questions to ask list" when moving to a new area?
The reason there are stereotypes IS because ppl from different ethnicity's are known to be less likely to have a polite behavior. Does it suck to be in that category? YES, it does, you know, one person can ruin it for everyone else......1 kid died from eating a hot dog and now the American Academy of Pediatrics wants to re-shape them! REALLY?

Disney has INSTRUCTIONS written on the walls in the bathrooms on HOW to wash hands!? I think I laughed for a week after I saw that.....I am still trying to understand the purpose for that, do they think visitors from other countries don't wash hands the same way? or use soap the same way? I don't know, but you can imagine that if they had the NEED to add that on those walls........I mean, their expectations must be REALLY LOW of the ppl visiting.....talk about judgmental!?? take that as an example!

what is so ridiculous exactly? that I don't appreciate and am grateful for being run over by someone with their stroller? or have mine hit instead, when I'm not even moving? that I don't like being tailgated on I-4? that I do expect apologies if someone hits me with the scooter at the store accidentally? and not just drive away? that I can walk through the isles @ Publix without having to circle two isles to get back because a scooter sits there sideways blocking the isle? why would you or anyone else expect me to agree with this behavior or "embrace" it? there is a say we have back in Europe that reads: "What you don't like done to you, don't do to someone else" what exactly is ridiculous about that?

Old 04-13-2010, 04:17 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
The reason there are stereotypes IS because ppl from different ethnicity's are known to be less likely to have a polite behavior. Does it suck to be in that category? YES, it does, you know, one person can ruin it for everyone else......

there is a say we have back in Europe that reads: "What you don't like done to you, don't do to someone else" what exactly is ridiculous about that?
SO where in Europe are you from? I'm guessing France, they think they're better than most. Oh, perhaps German? They have always thought that others should follow them? I know, you are from Spain. They are bitter people who once used to be a world power and are now nearly insignificant on the map. Perhaps you're Eastern European, land of aggressive people who blame other countries for their issues. Maybe you are embarassed to be from Eastern Europe and because of this you never state the country which you come from. Or possibly Mediterranean, they smell funny and are bitter that they no longer rule a huge Empire that once existed and are now pretty insignificant on the world stage.

Sorry if I offended you, different ethnicity's are known for certain traits. Does it sucks if you fall in one of these categories? Yes, it does.

Yeah, that saying is here in America as well. We even have a name for it, 'The Golden Rule'. It goes like this. 'Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.' I believe stereotyping people by race and even going as far as saying hispanic people in general are rude and than trying to back it up.... is.... well....rude. Perhaps, just perhaps, they were doing onto others as what was done onto them.

Can we change the title of this thread? I would like to contribute to the original topic.

Another thing I have noticed about people in Tampa who are originally from Europe is that.....well..... they're hypocritical. They also seem to yell an awful lot.... due to the excessive exclamation points.... yep, you must be Eastern European or French....they do yell a lot. Nah, definitely Mediterranean. After all you made posted a long time ago that the US should put up a fence to keep out all the 'foreigners' as they do in Greece? Oh wait.... you are from where again? Not a born US Citizen...which makes you..... ah yes... a foreigner. But since you referred to a fence you must only be interested in keeping out those that are south of the border.

Wait, I just stereotyped again.....shoot.

For the record, I do not judge people from where they are from or their ethnicity. All of this was made up opinions to make a point and show you how it feels to be the one behind the 8 ball. I;m sure you were pretty offended..until you read this last paragraph.

Last edited by FloridaKash; 04-13-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 04:46 PM

[quote=algia;13726276]

The reason there are stereotypes IS because ppl from different ethnicity's are known to be less likely to have a polite behavior. Does it suck to be in that category? YES, it does, you know, one person can ruin it for everyone else...... No Joke. If I were such a judgemental person, I'd be reconsidering my thought's about European people. Thank goodness I do not let one person ruin my opinion on all of Europe.

Disney has INSTRUCTIONS written on the walls in the bathrooms on HOW to wash hands!? I think I laughed for a week after I saw that.....I am still trying to understand the purpose for that, do they think visitors from other countries don't wash hands the same way? or use soap the same way? I don't know, but you can imagine that if they had the NEED to add that on those walls........I mean, their expectations must be REALLY LOW of the ppl visiting.....talk about judgmental!?? take that as an example!

Actually, some countries do not have the sanitation practices that the U.S has. So therefore in order to curb the spread of disease and illness, Disney, as well as many, many other businesses in Florida and around the U.S. have posted signs for both Employees and Guests/Customers on how to properly wash their hands. That is not being judgemental, that is promoting sanitary hand washing.
QUOTE]

Old 04-13-2010, 05:10 PM

AlaskaKash, I am originally from Romania, former communist country indeed, in recent history, and also very beautiful and with a lot of great artists & culture, great education, very high standard universities and lots of history, a few thousand years....actually, this is not even the first time I said that, our communist stint was far shorter by comparison with the rest of our culture & history......I traveled extensively through Europe for over 20 years and Asia on top of that and had the opportunity to see a lot of things most people here dream about, so I am very fortunate in that regard.

IT IS because I come from a former communist country where censorship was at a premium that I have a hard time swallowing this "politically correct c**p that's being pulled here....in other words in a mom group I was part of at one time, "politics" were not even allowed as a subject of conversation....in a FREE COUNTRY with a FIRST Amendment that no other country has! Imagine my surprise when I heard THAT! I mean, hoooooooooow maaaaaaaaaaaany tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimes caaaan youuuuuuu taaaaaaaaaaaaaalk abouuuuuuuuuut diaperssssssssss and be a whole new conversation!? Imagine voice inflection going in slow motion....

I never said in any of my posts that "Europeans" are better in some way, even in this thread I said it many times, whatever you are I will name you because I want you to get the whole picture of whatever happened....you know, kinda like in car accidents, where you get the other cars license plate, driver license number etc....same deal....it is harder to get your point across in writing which is why I purposely bold & color things, (if the PHP creators of this forum didn't want us to use the formatting features, they could have left them out) I don't mean that as yelling, but more like emphasizing, I am very calm, if my mac cam would work on this board, you could see that, think about "Chandler" (friends) type of emphasizing........yet I had THIS conversation before too.

Yes, Romania IS one of those countries where the common sense of giving your seat to an older person doesn't seem to exist....and our gov is made out of peanut heads, I could go on and on about politics there and how for some reason our country felt the need to rename everything in English after the communist regime was killed there (literally)....but if I compared the public transit...with the one in Tampa, Romania wins! If I compare the National Opera house performances with Tampa's....Bucharest wins because Tampa doesn't have an Opera House with both Opera's and Ballet's! (an establishment where the dancers, singers etc work there every day as you would in an office, not tour from time to time) I can't compare theme parks with Romania because we don't have any, but there is a Disneyland in Paris and should someone have the need to go, we have FAST trains to take us there...I grew up just fine hiking in the mountains and going to the Black Sea though.....I am not offended because "I" WILL apologize if I hit someone with MY stroller, because these things HAPPEN they are accidents, it's not like, I see someone and I go: "honey, I am going to hit that woman with my stroller now because she sipped her coke the wrong way"!!!!!" People in buses in Romania are not blind, they see old ppl coming in, and they look the other way.....no different than using a invalid cart when you're perfectly fine!

There were 2 million ppl living in Bucharest in 2001, probably slightly more now, Romania is a small country, all tho one of the biggest in Europe size wise and yes we have our share of jerks otherwise known as Gypsies....who steal and kill and have the most horrible of behaviors if you ask me and I used to point that out while I was there too.....don't worry...however you should understand my dilemma that if such a small country can have public transit with less ppl to cater too, that I will always wonder how come Tampa doesn't? with all this build up, spread out like butter all over poor nature! how come there is no care or concern for something as simple as public transit? this is not rocket science....obviously if you're going to build that far out in the middle of nowhere you should expect that ppl will have to travel for work with something and not just assume and force everyone to own a car! which leads to the way ppl drive...hurry, hurry, hurry blah, blah blah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
SO where in Europe are you from? I'm guessing France, they think they're better than most. Oh, perhaps German? They have always thought that others should follow them? I know, you are from Spain. They are bitter people who once used to be a world power and are now nearly insignificant on the map. Perhaps you're Eastern European, land of aggressive people who blame other countries for their issues. Maybe you are embarassed to be from Eastern Europe and because of this you never state the country which you come from.

Sorry if I offended you, different ethnicity's are known for certain traits. Does it sucks if you fall in one of these categories? Yes, it does.

Yeah, that saying is here in America as well. We even have a name for it, 'The Golden Rule'. It goes like this. 'Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.' I believe stereotyping people by race and even going as far as saying hispanic people in general are rude and than trying to back it up.... is.... well....rude. Perhaps, just perhaps, they were doing onto others as what was done onto them.

Can we change the title of this thread? I would like to contribute to the original topic.

Another thing I have noticed about people in Tampa who are originally from Europe is that.....well..... they're hypocritical. They also seem to yell an awful lot.... due to the excessive exclamation points.... yep, you must be Eastern European or French....they do yell a lot.

Wait, I just stereotyped again.....shoot.

For the record, I do not judge people from where they are from or their ethnicity. All of this was made up opinions to make a point and show you how it feels to be the one behind the 8 ball. I;m sure you were pretty offended..until you read this last paragraph.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Actually, some countries do not have the sanitation practices that the U.S has. So therefore in order to curb the spread of disease and illness, Disney, as well as many, many other businesses in Florida and around the U.S. have posted signs for both Employees and Guests/Customers on how to properly wash their hands. That is not being judgemental, that is promoting sanitary hand washing.
What? I have never heard that before...... as I said above, I have traveled extensively and have never seen such notice anywhere, but did see everyone wash hands.....I am aware that certain countries in Africa/Afghanistan and others might not be the most sanitary, but I can't imagine those ppl who can't afford a bar of soap traveling to vacation @ Disney either........I was thinking it was because of the fact that ppl he sue for the air they breed, so this was just one more thing they could "cover" themselves with in case someone caught Salmonella or something while on their premises......makes more sense.....

Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
What? I have never heard that before...... as I said above, I have traveled extensively and have never seen such notice anywhere, but did see everyone wash hands.....I am aware that certain countries in Africa/Afghanistan and others might not be the most sanitary, but I can't imagine those ppl who can't afford a bar of soap traveling to vacation @ Disney either........I was thinking it was because of the fact that ppl he sue for the air they breed, so this was just one more thing they could "cover" themselves with in case someone caught Salmonella or something while on their premises......makes more sense.....
Signs on how to properly wash your hands are in just about every service station, fast food, dept store, and restaurant that I have ever been in. And that includes the Tampa area. In fact, I believe it is a State Health dept code that those signs MUST be posted where food is served.

Poor sanitation practices are not limited to third world countrys. I lived in Asia and it was common for many of the public bathrooms to not have hand soap in them. Many did not even have SINKS. You do not want to know how they cleaned themselves either. And do not think for a minute that this was limited to poor people who could not afford soap. Even in affluant areas with public and ultra modern facilities it was not uncommon to see people go from the toilet right out the door without even washing their hands. Ick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay