Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 04:39 PM

26 posts, read 181,607 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I'm looking to relocate to either one of these cities. I would like some input from those of you who have lived in any of these cities or spent a lot of time in them. Here's a little bit about me: I have a Bachelors degree in Recreation Parks Tourism Administration with an emphasis in Therapeutic Recreation. With my emphasis I work with people with disabilities and illnesses in both clinical and community settings although my degree is broad enough to where I can also work in non profit organizations, park districts, and tourism. I pick these two choices because I love warm weather and beaches but I'm also looking for a place that has an affordable cost of living, diverse nationalities, cultural arts, and many city amentities where there are many things to do. I'm a 25 year old single female with no children. Which one of these cities do you think would best fit the lifestyle and career opportunities I'm looking for? Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 AM

108 posts, read 308,133 times
Just wanted to make a quick comment since you mention that you want to be in a place with warm weather. Keep in mind, the weather in these two places is very different. Tampa bay has a sub-tropical climate and stays pretty warm most of the year. Virginia actually gets lows in the 30s during winter months and sometimes even gets snow.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:30 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Default Stick with virgina beach

Okay I had lived in florida for 23 yrs before moving to lexington ky . I have also lived in virgina beach . I must say if you want to live in florida better bring a big wallet property taxes are outrageous and you get nothing in the way of public services which they are having to lay workers in public service off . the roads are terrible and over crowded and US hwy 19 is a nightmare in the way of traffic and this is year round not just at holiday time . Oh no please stay away from florida and their unemployment rate is going up to 8 % next year . I would never move back . and also I want to add if you enjoy paying 30 - 40 for a rack of ribs the same size as I can get here in lexy for 8.00. Never ever would i move south again . esp florida . Yeah the weather is nice if you like above 90 in the summer and dont want to breathe . It aint worth it .

Old 12-24-2008, 05:03 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Getting a job is going to be the hardest part now a days no matter which city you decide on.

I can't compare the 2 cities but the beaches will be different on the Atlantic. The Gulf has white sand but not a lot of wave action. Tampa weather is going to be different than VB, more tropical.

Traffic is bad during rush hour depending on where you live/work but that may not be a concern for you.

Being a young single professional you would want to check out S. Tampa/ Hyde Park area. That is where the action is in Tampa.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:19 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times
Virginia Beach can be pretty expensive. You might want a suburb of Tampa if cost of living is a big concern.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Default even the subs are costly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Virginia Beach can be pretty expensive. You might want a suburb of Tampa if cost of living is a big concern.
yes even the subs are costly now . Nothing in florida is cheap at all and 1200-1500 a month rent is outrageous and that is like 800 sq ft . No thank you to florida . It is going down hill at an alarming rate .

Old 12-25-2008, 11:36 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
No Way.. you can find a 1bd apt for less than 1k in S. Tampa and even cheaper if you live in Lutz or Odessa. My son is renting a big 1 bd in Lutz for $719 a month, in a very nice fairly new complex. It has a washer/dryer in the apt too.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:41 AM

108 posts, read 308,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yes even the subs are costly now . Nothing in florida is cheap at all and 1200-1500 a month rent is outrageous and that is like 800 sq ft . No thank you to florida . It is going down hill at an alarming rate .
Sorry, but that does not sound accurate at all. $1200-1500 a month rent can get you an almost new single family house in the suburbs with 3-4 br/ba and 2k+ sf. You might be thinking of 2005 prices, not today.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Tampa Bay-St. Pete all day long as there are a lot of retired elderly people(Therapeutic needs) that reside here and Clearwater which is close by makes for a beautiful area.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
As a 25 y/o male with close friends in both cities (i lived in Norfolk and Miami (not Tampa)) I must say that the responsible thing is to move to VA Beach area and not to live to far from work because traffic aint great. The economy is okay which equates to phenomenal during a recession. There is a beach, and several partying areas of town. Strong military presence which brings diversity from all over but most people are either "regular-black" or "regular-white". Its also in a metro area with many cities,each has its own flavor, none of them are urbanized. Its also driving distance (6 hours or less) to DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Richmond, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, and Atlantic City.

Tampa Bay area is slightly bigger with a better nightlife scene (more clubs and diversity) and better weather (you will get used to the heat) and more diverse. Tampa is relatively big (compared to hampton roads area) and is next to St. Pete which has a different flavor. Its relatively close to Orlando, Jacksonville, and Miami/Palm beach but thats it no road trips unless you are visiting a college. Each has its benefits. If you have the money I recommend visiting both areas or at least the one you know the least about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay