Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times

Advertisements

Is downtown St Petersburg a highly walkable area where one could live without a car? Are there supermarkets, libraries, shops, restaurants?

Is there public transportation to the beach?

Or, would it be better to live in St Pete Beach without a car?

thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,273 times
Red face yeah i wanna know

st pete, largo, clearwater....same question....do u have to have a car or no

Old 01-29-2009, 06:42 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
Downtown St. Petersburg is very do-able as a pedestrian. The area, Old Northeast, has quite a few homes that have garage apartments for rent. Yes, there is public transport to the beaches. I would want a car to live in the beach communities since doctors, library, banks, shopping are not as concentrated as downtown St. Pete. As far as Largo, Clearwater, again, I'd want a car but it is possible to get by in downtown Clearwater without a car. Largo - depends where you're situated. Generally speaking, public transportation isn't as sophisticated as it is in many other metro areas around the country. All of this said, I would like to have a boat but even better is the fact that I have friends with boats - same could be said for going without a car.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:29 AM

What sort of people live in downtown St Petersburg?

I realize that is an odd question and that there is probably a mixture. Is it mainly retirees, young professionals?

If someone could give me a feel for it I would appreciate very much.

Also, is downtown safe to walk around even at night or does it "close up"?

thanks!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
It is most certainly safe to walk around downtown if you use common sense, but that goes for any metro area. It is most easy to determine - by daylight - where you want to be at night. Clubs, restaurants, is there a baseball game or an event at one of the venues where there is a police presence? It is not, in my opinion, a dangerous downtown area but you will encounter the homeless and a few panhandlers no interesting area is complete without the occasional wino. Not a big deal. Last time I ate outdoors at a restaurant, I was approached by a man whom I presumed was a panhandler. He wasn't in my interpretation of the word; he simply wanted to know if I was going to trash my leftover food or take it home - I gave it to him - again, not a big deal.

To answer your specific question, there are all sorts of people that reside in the downtown area and to me, that is exactly what makes it interesting. There was a time, and I'm dating myself here, when the only reason one ventured to St. Pete was to redeem your S&H green stamps (you'll probably have to google that).

There are plenty of night spots open but it isn't NYC. More importantly, people are approachable, friendly and for the most part, genuine. It is a mixture of young professionals (happy hour), elderly (during the day doing errands) and families (I don't eat at restaurants with kids menus so I can't speak to this subject specifically but find very few kids dining out in my evening visits) and tourists.

It is really all about you and the type of people you attract and the type of people you gravitate toward. Life is just a big fat adventure and if you decide to make St. Pete one of your adventures - then go! And know that nobody is going to handcuff you to the city for life! Have fun!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Sunset...you are so wonderful to have given me such a detailed response

I actually do remember S&H green stamps! My Mom used to drive me to the next town to redeem them. Now I'm dating myself..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay