Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 11:49 AM

25 posts, read 122,204 times

Advertisements

So, how bad are they in the Tampa area? I keep a really clean home, but I don't know if that really matters with palmetto roaches. Are they everywhere or do some locations have more of a problem than others? What about the earwigs? We have them here in NY, but we don't see them that often and they're rather small here.

I'm just trying to gather all this information now from the locals so I can make an informed decision before we plan the move.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Palmetto bugs generally come in from outside, especially when it's raining. They squeeze under weather stripping, fly in when the door is open, crawl up plumbing. They are a fact of life here. Pest control helps but won't prevent you from ever finding one inside. I'm not sure what an earwig is.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
We moved from NJ to Tampa and have found only a few palmetto bugs. Never seen earwigs down here. You do need to hire pest control to come out often. There are other pests to control in your house and lawn. Fire ants are a pain and a nuisance. Termites are the biggest problem. I would worry more about termites than palmettos. My friend, who is a naturalist, uses the most gental chemicals and she has palmettos crawling on her ceiling and inside her cabinets. YUCK! She too keeps a very clean house. Expect to pay a lot to of money to control all the inside/outside pests. That was one of the many unexpected costs of living in Florida.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 AM

22 posts, read 98,779 times
Palmetto bugs are just a factor of live in Florida, no matter how clean you are. I use Countryside Pest control and they do a wonderful job controlling all the buggies.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I agree palmetto bugs are just a fact of life in FL. I never had pest control but my DH use to spray the outside of the house, the garage and under the sinks a couple of times a year and we never had a problem with them, except for the occasional one that flew in from outside but those were rare.

True story.. one night my husband walked in the front door and all of a sudden he started jumping up and down, then took off his pants right in the foyer. Yep a palmetto bug had crawled up his pants as he walked from the garage to the front door. I was laughing but for some reason he didn't think it was funny.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:36 PM

59 posts, read 435,544 times
You're in a buggy area for sure. You can take steps to keep pests to a minimum but consider a service, it's the easiest way to keep ahead. Here's an article on earwigs and easy things to make your house less friendly to them. Prepare and prevent the earwig this year

Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,767 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...trol-do-2.html

Not sure how to cross post here

Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,767 times
Earwigs maybe about an inch.
Palmetto bugs 3 inches.
Who says size doesn't matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay