Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 20,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My hubby and I are thinking about moving to Florida. He spent his college days in Melbourne 10 years ago and loved it; I love the heat. We are aware of the downsides (eg bugs, alligators, humidity) but are interested in checking things out nonetheless. My hubby is in IT & works from home. I'm a teacher and would be looking to teach at a community college or private H.S.

That being said, I have 2 questions:
  1. Where in the Bay area (and/or St Pete, Clearwater, etc) should we consider living? We would need to live somewhere quiet and not too close to farms or anything that smells (we had issues with the latter at the last place we stayed.) Normally, relatively modern suburbs are a good fit for us. We're hoping to get at least a 3-BR but hoping to spend less than $300k ($350K at most). So far, we don't have any kids and aren't sure we want any.
  2. We're going to stay in Tampa for a week in March (I know the timing isn't good considering spring break, but that's when we could get the time off). Where should we stay that's central & would allow us to explore the suggestions you offer in #1?
Any suggestions are immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM

104 posts, read 366,506 times
Based upon what you say, you might want to check out Westchase/Citrus Park, it is close in-town yet close to everything. Everything there is new. On the Pinellas side, I would look at the Countryside/East Lake area. There are tons of great areas but I would probably avoid Odessa and parts of Valrico/Riverview based upon the smell issues. Staying centrally located in Tampa will help you avoid the Spring Break nightmares. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks a lot, Tampasteve, we appreciate it! Anybody else have suggestions?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Carrollwood is another area you might want to check out. Older homes than in Westchase/Citrus Park but a nice area with lots of shopping and restaurants. Actually a part of Citrus Park backs up to Carrollwood.

I would try to find a place around Westshore Blvd or International Mall to stay during your visit. Convenient to restaurants and you can check out the drive to different areas. Maybe someone else can recommend some place closer to the recommended areas.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 AM

11 posts, read 43,302 times
Hi Lisa! If I can throw in my 2 cents...I flew down to Tampa a few weeks ago to locate a rental property for my upcoming relocation. I stayed at a Marriott on Westshore Blvd - only about 3 minutes from International Mall. The moderator is right - it is very centrally located and was very convenient to restaurants, 275, etc. I am a Marriott fan, but wasn't entirely blown away by this property. It was okay...but not the best Marriott I've stayed at. There are a number of hotels in that area, so you have quite a few options. Oh, and it took all of 6 minutes for me to drive from the marriott westshore back to the airport on the day I was leaving. Can't beat that.

Moderator cut: realtor recommendations not allowed

Good luck!!!! I am sure you will love what you see!

Last edited by Keeper; 02-06-2009 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Send a Dm regarding TampaSteve

Old 02-05-2009, 12:03 PM

Thanks Keeper, we appreciate the tips. Good luck, chickidee 6868, with your relocation!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 PM

4 posts, read 27,962 times
Hi Lisa! My husband and I are also planning to relocate there from Tallahassee. We went to Tampa a few months ago to look around and stayed at the Hyatt right off of Courtney Campbell Causeway. It is amazing, has great views of downtown Tampa, and it is centrally located!! Right now there is construction around it, but you will figure out how to navigate through it after coming and going once or twice. The Hyatt is at the Tampa end of the Causeway, and Clearwater area is at the other. We are hoping to move somewhere around Clearwater or Palm Harbor, but preferred to stay the night in Tampa. This might be a good idea for you as well, if Spring Break will be an issue. Hope this helps!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 AM

104 posts, read 366,506 times
Great ideas here, the only areas where you are going to run into Spring Breakers really is the beach areas, ie Clearwater probably being the worst of it. The beaches south of Clearwater are a little older and more family oriented. That being said, I am sure that the hotels up the prices that time of year based upon their proximity to the the beach. Chickadee6868 it was great meeting you and look forward to seeing you in Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay