Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM

17 posts, read 63,340 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My husband, son and I are currently living in MA and I hate it so much, i've lived here for 13 years and just dealt w/ it but we've gotten to a point where we can't stand it anymore and we are just anxious to get out of here. 3 years ago, we were actually in the process of building a house in Riverview FL but prices got to be too high after all the add ons etc and I got pregnant and we ended up staying here. So is anyone able to help me?? How do i start the process? My husband and I are concerned about jobs, I am in the Executive assistant field and my husband is IT - everyone is telling us we will be fine with getting jobs but this economy sucks plus we have our MA address and not a FL address on our resumes. Also, how about moving costs - moving companies etc?? I absolutely love the Tampa, FL area and would love to settle down there, I hate the cold and hate having my son couped up in the house for so long because it's freezing out. he is totally a beach bum like his parents and love playing outside. i would appreciate any help to GET ME OUT OF BOSTON, i hate it here so much. thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,557,309 times
I'll start.

First thing - would recommend that you don't go down there without a secure job lined up for both of you.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM

737 posts, read 2,592,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'll start.

First thing - would recommend that you don't go down there without a secure job lined up for both of you.
+1 to BucFan

Tampa Bay area hiring outlook mostly negative, survey shows - St. Petersburg Times

The above article is dated 3/11/09, please read.

If you are serious, plan to use your vacation days to fly in for interviews. This could be a 12 - 15 month plan depending on how much of a salary cut either of you are willing to take.

The MA address wouldn't put me off if I were hiring. It is the credentials and experience that an applicant will bring to the table that will help my business run more efficiently, essentially making it more profitable.

Best wishes!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the info, I will push harder on putting my resume out there. I am also concerned about finding a house in area w/ good schools for my son. Do they offer good programs for sports etc. He's only 3 but I know he will end up getting involved in sports. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,837,976 times
Wow, I love Boston. I would say if your son hates being inside in the winter, wait until he tries to play here in the summer. I moved here a year ago with the same anxious desire to have a change and now it has been a year and I am moving home. You really have to experience it and see what it is like. It is difficult to tell just hearing others opinions, although it may help in some part.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 AM

Ugh, I absolutely hate boston... there is nothing I like about it here, hate the snow, no interest in skiing/snowboarding etc. The so called "beaches" are disgusting, i dare not go in there and put my son in there - nasty cold/sewer water. The people are so grouchy and rude. I was born and raised in the caribbean so i love the warm weather - so does my son and hubby, i know it gets hot and humid in the summer there but i would rather that than -15 degrees weather here!! hate it! Everything is just getting more and more expensive here and our governor is adding more and more taxes to everything!!! We've been to Tampa/Sarasota area quite a few times and I like it, we were there in August one year when it was hot/humid and i survived, made me drink lots of water, which is a good thing

Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Hey Artsywoman! just had an idea, want to switch places? jobs? houses?? lol...

Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,271,462 times
If you have lived in the Caribbean then you won't mind Tampa's heat. I lived in Panama and I didn't notice much difference except Tampa did get some cool/cold weather during winter.

Be sure you find a 'good' area. I don't think Artsywoman would recommend her area as she has stated she is unhappy living there.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:01 PM

34 posts, read 280,038 times
i live in florida and been here 10 years now...moved from germany so i loved the weather here...yes it gets humid in the summer but thats what the beach is there for ....i`m a lil bit north of tampa(new port richey) it isn`t so bad ...and i doubt its going to be a problem for jobs neither with your resume as an executive...but would try to secure job before movin...i`m pretty sure if you apply at companies and give them a call stating your situation...most normal professionals would understand that you need a job lined up before movin so if you have the credentials i don`t see why someone wouldn`t hire you...past winter has been chilly dec and jan and part of feb...but thats the change everyone needs after a long summer )) i luv it here i go to atl usually during thanksgiving or christmas and i hate it...i have two little ones (3 and 1) and when we were up there they were so miserable because i couldn`t take them out to play...one day it was raining and cold and next day it was even colder and muddy...our rains are warm so it was hard for me to explain to my 3 yr old that he couldn`t go out and play because it was raining because it never held him from playing in fl when its raining lol....and houses down here right now i think the market is the best...houses built in 2005 are running for about 130,000 in my area...good luck to you but i`d go for it once you have a job lined up....

Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,837,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnareyes View Post
Hey Artsywoman! just had an idea, want to switch places? jobs? houses?? lol...
Sure! I visited Boston and love the culture etc. I realize it is probably out of my price range!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay