Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

When we moved to Tampa 2 years ago, we had written at the bottom of our resumes a note indicating we are moving there with or without that job...not in those particular words, but we did put that on our resume so that people we applied with knew that we were really moving and not playing games.
Tampa is wonderful, north of Tampa, Lutz, Odessa, Land O Lakes, are very kid friendly and have good schools, my son is also 3 and he loves the beach. I am also European coming from shoveling snow most of my life and been living in FL for the last 8 years and will not move where there's snow ever again.
As far as moving, U-Haul...my husband moved his brother from upstate NY back and forth twice and it was far cheaper than using one of those specialized companies......those are really expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 09:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Unless you have a couple of years savings and are willing to use them to live off of you would a have to be crazy to move anywhere without employment lined up.

Guess you never went to Cape Cod which is beautiful.

Sorry when you have kids you have to think about them as well. To move anywhere unless you have a large amount of savings that you don't mind depleting, I think in this economy you are looking for trouble.

I have known several people who moved here with no jobs lined up and ended up taking $10 an hour jobs out of desperation. After almost running out of money.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 AM

17 posts, read 63,236 times
Seain Dublin, we are planning to get jobs before moving down there, i won't do it any other way (unless we won the lottery), I am just trying to figure out which part of Tampa is best to live now that we have a son and have to look for good schools etc...

Cape Cod??? are you serious... compare Siesta Key or Nokomis Beach to Cape Cod!!! I don't know what all the hype is about Cape Cod, cold beaches are in New England... New Englanders love to rush down to cape cod when it's "nice"out and by the time they get to the water, it's freezing on the coast... Sorry but Cape Cod is not that great... born and raised in the caribbean and visited lots of other caribbean places and been to Mexico and those beaches and the ones in FL are what I love Cape Cod is cute to visit but can never match up to a real beach with warm clear water.

And I think you misunderstood me... our bags aren't packed and we aren't moving tomorrow... My husband and I DO put our son first, of course, that is the reason why we're doing research and applying to jobs, get jobs and then move so we can have a foundation to build on. I am just tired of this place, put up with it for 13 years and ready to do what we always wanted to do. God will let us know when the right time is... and in the mean time, we will research, get a plan together and be ready.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Well to be honest I went back and reread your first post, doesn't indicate that you are waiting to have jobs lined up. Sounds more like you wanted people to tell you come on down everything will be ok!

And you didn't get the response you wanted.

I also hope you have spent time down in here in the summer. It is not such a paradise. Hot and humid and horrific lightning storms almost daily. But being from the Caribbean the heat proably isn't an issue for you.

But many move to the Tampa area and are unaware of the dangerous lightning that occurs and definetly impacts what you can and cannot do.

Good fun to go to the supermarket and come out and it is a downpour with lightning and you can't go out in the parking lot with your grocercies in a metal cart.

There are many downsides here that are just as bad if not worse then snow.

People are free to do what they want, but unless you can find employment and not take a severe salary cut( many people do that as trade off for warmer weather) and then regret it.

Check out the thread I started on why do people move here without jobs, there is a woman also from MA and her husband have been here four years. They have depleted their savings and have never found suitable employment.

It is a shame to see people make mistakes, and in this economy which isn't going to turn around anytime soon, why make things tougher on yourself.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:02 PM

LOL... sorry i sounded like i'm physically ready to go in my first post... i guess i've just had enough and i am ready to go in mind and heart

you sound like you don't like Tampa, how come you're there? Are there any positive things about Tampa you like? Yeah, we've actually been there in August and it was Hot and humid as all hell but we survived, visited the beach/pool etc. I think i prefer that over -15 degrees
like today, it's suppose to be spring and it's a fabulous 23 degrees! ugh.

I understand that about the thundershowers, i've never experienced it so thanks for the heads up. It's pretty scary here when there is a blizzard and it's so windy and power gets knocked out, and you are at risk to freeze and then have a tree crash into your house when it's freezing out etc... so i guess there are weather issues everywhere and you just have to pick your poison right?

Like i said, hubby and i are looking for jobs and will not move until we have secured a good job... i know people who just pick up and move but that's not for us. i do know that you have to take a pay cut when moving there but i'm certain we will find something when the time is right. Thanks for all your input and advice, very much appreciated.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well to be honest I went back and reread your first post, doesn't indicate that you are waiting to have jobs lined up. Sounds more like you wanted people to tell you come on down everything will be ok!

And you didn't get the response you wanted.

I also hope you have spent time down in here in the summer. It is not such a paradise. Hot and humid and horrific lightning storms almost daily. But being from the Caribbean the heat proably isn't an issue for you.

But many move to the Tampa area and are unaware of the dangerous lightning that occurs and definetly impacts what you can and cannot do.

Good fun to go to the supermarket and come out and it is a downpour with lightning and you can't go out in the parking lot with your grocercies in a metal cart.

There are many downsides here that are just as bad if not worse then snow.

People are free to do what they want, but unless you can find employment and not take a severe salary cut( many people do that as trade off for warmer weather) and then regret it.

Check out the thread I started on why do people move here without jobs, there is a woman also from MA and her husband have been here four years. They have depleted their savings and have never found suitable employment.

It is a shame to see people make mistakes, and in this economy which isn't going to turn around anytime soon, why make things tougher on yourself.
I have a good Idea for you, move to cape cod and bless them with your negativity

Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 AM

Thumbs up Good one...

TB Fla... ha ha..

Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Typical for here, they take any comments as a personal insult. We have a home in CA as well as here.

You can't express your feelings without someone attacking you. I think they know the Tampa area lacks many things.

They had their made up pirate festival for three weeks here, it was a long never ending redneck version of Madi Gras.

People vomiting and relieving themsleves to the outrage of the homeowners who lived near the parade route.

Sorry, I don't like rednecks, like TB FLA.

There is definetly a lower class of people living amongst the middle class folks and you see it wherever you go.

I find the education of people who were born and raised here to be lacking for the most part.

Another poster started a thread on here regarding how people bring up certain views in casual conversation.

I have heard the N word used, the F word used regarding gays, with people who I hardly know or just met. Pretty shocking when are not used to that.

Sorry, we have lived all over the country and just don't assume people share your views, and regardless it is not appropriate to talk that way to people you don't know.

Yet it is very common here. They don't seem to know any better.

BTW it was in the paper today that FL ranks 45 out of 50 states in personal income growth.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM

I guess there is good and bad in every state, no place is perfect.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM

127 posts, read 427,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Typical for here, they take any comments as a personal insult. We have a home in CA as well as here.

You can't express your feelings without someone attacking you. I think they know the Tampa area lacks many things.

They had their made up pirate festival for three weeks here, it was a long never ending redneck version of Madi Gras.

People vomiting and relieving themsleves to the outrage of the homeowners who lived near the parade route.

Sorry, I don't like rednecks, like TB FLA.

There is definetly a lower class of people living amongst the middle class folks and you see it wherever you go.

I find the education of people who were born and raised here to be lacking for the most part.

Another poster started a thread on here regarding how people bring up certain views in casual conversation.

I have heard the N word used, the F word used regarding gays, with people who I hardly know or just met. Pretty shocking when are not used to that.

Sorry, we have lived all over the country and just don't assume people share your views, and regardless it is not appropriate to talk that way to people you don't know.

Yet it is very common here. They don't seem to know any better.

BTW it was in the paper today that FL ranks 45 out of 50 states in personal income growth.

Good luck to you.
As someone who was born and raised here and also happens to be well educated and successful, yes, your comments are insulting and condescending. Having lived here all of my life, I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone use the N word or the F word when referring to homosexuals. Anyway, to the original poster, you obviously will find plenty of people that hate it down here but take the overgeneralizations with a grain of salt. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay