Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 23,943 times

Advertisements

Hello, i have been lurking here for awhile. I always visit the various forums for reccomendations when I go on mini-trips and vacations.

In early april I will be going to Tampa, and I want to spend a saturday on the Gulf coast with my wife. I have decided to go to tarpon springs to visit the sponge docks for a good greek lunch, and a short nature cruise through the river then spend the afternoon on honeymoon island.

I recently saw an article regarding a restoration at the island and i was wondering if this has been completed or if anyone has been there recently?

Northpinellas: At Honeymoon Island, a beach is transformed

Also, i wanted some reccomendations on places nearby i could possibly pick up some food such as cold sandwiches or subs for picnic or good spots on the beach to relax.

We will not likely want to swim, but rather just stroll a bit, find some shells, sit and chill out and enjoy the atmosphere. I was also wondering is there any shady spots near the beachfront or can an umbrella be rented?

almost forgot, I read that the park closes at sunset? Are people rushed out of the park or can they enjoy the sunset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 AM

help please? lol

Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
That article was from 08.. It doesn't normally take that long to refurbish the beach. Hopefully someone can tell you if they have visited recently, if not you could call them and ask. The beach was pretty rocky and the sand was not that great the last time I was there before the refurbishment.
Main Page - Honeymoon Island State Park » Florida State Parks

You could go to Caladesi Island on the ferry which is at Honeymoon Island. It is about a 15 min trip on a ferry. They have picnic tables that are not right on the beach under trees. See pic thread for a picture of the island. It is my favorite beach and has been voted the #1 beach in America. If you go on the weekend you may see Hobie cats sailing along the channel or out in the gulf.

There is a Publix on US 586 and A19. They make good deli/sub sandwiches while you wait or you can pick up pre-made ones. If you have never had a cuban sandwich they are a speciality in the Tampa Bay area.

I would pick up some desert in Tarpon Springs at one of the Greek bakeries. They are scrumptious.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks Keeper. The article said the refurbishing was expected to be completed in February so I was wondering if they were on schedule. I would just go to Howard Park in Tarpon springs but I understand that it is closed until late 2009.

It will likely be late afternoon 4:00pm, before we reach honeymoon, do you think that it would be too late to go to Caladesi?

Thanks for the info on publix, I will probably do that. I want to try a cuban sandwich before I leave Tampa! I will also grab some desert before we leave the sponge dock area in Tarpon Springs to head to the beach.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 AM

6 posts, read 18,405 times
The north beach on Honeymoon Island was refurbished, and it was gorgeous, for a little while. It has now been mostly washed away. It is a big island, there are stretches of beach that are nice, but this is not clearwater Beach, there are lots of rocks along the beach. Four o'clock is definitely too late to go over to Caladesi Island. However, there is a little beach all along the causeway going out to Honeymoon Island, with lots of benches. It can make a great place to view the sunset as well.

Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs does have a nice beach, but it's closed for another year for bridge repair.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 PM

38 posts, read 125,827 times
I would suggest spending the extra half hour or 45 minutes to drive to Pier 60 on Clearwater Beach. Honeymoon Island is more of a NATURAL beach with alot of rocks. The only thing Honeymoon Island has going for it is nature, but that might be what you want. Clearwater Beach at Pier 60 has AWESOME sandy beaches along with many restaurant/bars and other attractions to occupy your time. Clearwater has just completed a great walkway with many improvements near the Pier 60 area. Saturday night at Pier 60 would have things to do after sunset, unlike Honeymoon Island. Just my thoughts.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,656,250 times
Caladesi, if I am not mistaken, you can only spend no more than 4 hours there. You can only get there by boat, and have time stamped to what time you must be back to catch the return boat and they close early. I personally like Anna Maria Island. There are some nice restaurants right on the beach and some palm trees that you can sit under. I took some out of town guests to both Caladesi and to Anna Maria Island. They preferred Anna Maria Island. It is a little bit longer drive though. I also took a different guest to walk around Clearwater beach at sunset. We later walked to a nice restaurant. Both are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay