Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 AM

34 posts, read 176,006 times

Advertisements

Well since my dreams of moving permanently now are probably not going to happen as soon as I want, I decided on looking into getting a second/vacation home in Florida. I want a place to escape to in winter & spend summer vacation time at. So since I don't need to be near a job, any area would be fine. I want to be somewhere safe though. I don't want to have to worry about my home being robbed while I'm back north. Also when I come down with my 15 year old, (& probably one of her friends) She's not going to just sit in the house, so I need it to be a safe area for her too. I guess I need a resort/mobile home park or condo. I want a community pool, & not have to worry about maintanence, etc. It also needs to be kid & pet friendly. I guess near beaches too. Most importantly near amenities... ex. restraunts, shopping. So I guess what I really need to know is where would a great place to vacation be? If you could pick a second home place where would you go? Safe, friendly, things to do.. I know everyone has different opinions, but I look forward to hearing them all. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dogs4me View Post
Well since my dreams of moving permanently now are probably not going to happen as soon as I want, I decided on looking into getting a second/vacation home in Florida. I want a place to escape to in winter & spend summer vacation time at. So since I don't need to be near a job, any area would be fine. I want to be somewhere safe though. I don't want to have to worry about my home being robbed while I'm back north. Also when I come down with my 15 year old, (& probably one of her friends) She's not going to just sit in the house, so I need it to be a safe area for her too. I guess I need a resort/mobile home park or condo. I want a community pool, & not have to worry about maintanence, etc. It also needs to be kid & pet friendly. I guess near beaches too. Most importantly near amenities... ex. restraunts, shopping. So I guess what I really need to know is where would a great place to vacation be? If you could pick a second home place where would you go? Safe, friendly, things to do.. I know everyone has different opinions, but I look forward to hearing them all. Thank you
I think we need to know your budget before we can make recommendations.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:59 AM

I'd like to stay under $100,000.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,699,154 times
The outskirts of Orlando, that's my opinion. There is plenty to do there, theme parks, shopping, tourist attractions, it's growing and up and coming. Miami is too congested and overpriced (Dade, Broward, and even Palm Beach county), I am not too fond of anything north of Central Fl. since it's not mainly city, but country.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
If you want a beach community, check out condos here in Sarasota. There are some older ones around where you can get a great deal right now, and they are in decent parts of town. I saw an article online about it not too long ago.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,093 times
I would look in the Cape Coral / Fort Myers Area in SW Florida. Due to the total collapse of the economy down there there is a huge inventory of quality homes and condos for rock bottom prices. I know you mentioned a condo, but you can still get a 3/2 home on a saltwater canal leading to the river and Sanibel island for around 150. Prices are slowly rebounding, but its a great place to invest now while the market is low.

Nav

Old 02-21-2009, 11:58 AM

43 posts, read 138,891 times
With less than $100,000 you better start looking into trailer parks. The double wides would give u some extra space

Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,831 times
Are you over 55? You can get a decent unit for around that price. Close to the beach. They tend to be pretty well maintained and safe to leave.
There are some that allow visits by children for more than just a few days.
You could possibly buy a 2 bed condo for under $100K now, but it wont be on the beach.
$150K may get you to the beach, but not waterview. Across the street or a block or two back. Prob fixer upper.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 AM

I'm 35 years old. It's seems pretty hard to find an under 55 community. I'll find a mobile home park that looks nice, then I see the age restriction. uugghh.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 AM

73 posts, read 187,081 times
Cape Coral would be great to look into. Sanibel Island is close and beautiful. Airport nearby. Very cheap homes for a second home not your main home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay