Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 07:23 PM

362 posts, read 1,718,824 times

Advertisements

First, many thanks to those who have provided insight regarding various properties here in Tampa. A new place has emerged on my radar. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a rental in Whispering Oaks (Carrollwood?) which geographically seems to be on the south side of Lake Magdalene and accessed off Fletcher. Anyone have thoughts on this area (crime, traffic, sense of serenity )? Also, is the fishing actually good in this lake?

I saw the other post about bats. I hope there are bats here. I haven't seen many since I lived in MS as a child and they are waaaayyy cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:31 AM

144 posts, read 698,358 times
I knew the named sounded familiar. When I saw the location map, Whispering Oaks is right next to The Park at Lake Magdalene (formerly Sailwinds).

I lived at The Park for about 1 year, so I can tell you a little about my experience of the area. Generally, you are close to restaurants, grocery stores, general shopping, etc. This is a plus. That part of Fletcher Ave. has a decent amount of average traffic during weekdays. You'll normally see heavier traffic during rush hour, and really, for most parts of the day. But in my opinion, it wasn't that bad. Weekend traffic is normally lighter.

I've never been fishing off Lake Magdalene, but I have seen people kayaking there. I've seen others also fishing along the shore, but for those times, I've never seen anyone catch anything.

Crime-wise, the area does not have that much activity. I did not hear about any major crimes while I was there. However, you do start seeing questionable characters along Fletcher Ave. as you head east pass Florida Ave. You're location is not too far from there either.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qacer View Post
I knew the named sounded familiar. When I saw the location map, Whispering Oaks is right next to The Park at Lake Magdalene (formerly Sailwinds).

I lived at The Park for about 1 year, so I can tell you a little about my experience of the area. Generally, you are close to restaurants, grocery stores, general shopping, etc. This is a plus. That part of Fletcher Ave. has a decent amount of average traffic during weekdays. You'll normally see heavier traffic during rush hour, and really, for most parts of the day. But in my opinion, it wasn't that bad. Weekend traffic is normally lighter.

I've never been fishing off Lake Magdalene, but I have seen people kayaking there. I've seen others also fishing along the shore, but for those times, I've never seen anyone catch anything.

Crime-wise, the area does not have that much activity. I did not hear about any major crimes while I was there. However, you do start seeing questionable characters along Fletcher Ave. as you head east pass Florida Ave. You're location is not too far from there either.
Thank You! I'll be working at the VA...east on Fletcher to BB Downs. I've heard its not a particularly desirable area. I wasn't sure where the invisible dividing line between safe and sketchy was and on which side this place would be. It looked fine when I drove by yesterday but heck, the area near University mall looks okay too during the day, but from what I've read, not a place to be after dark...or at least, not to park your car after dark.

Maybe I won't tell my spouse about the lack of people catching fish there .

Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 AM

20 posts, read 73,954 times
im moving into palencia right off dale mabry and bearss...i guess thats kind of the same area? seems like a nice, safer part of town to me. even a quieter and nicer part of dale mabry too. i didnt encounter too much traffic around there either.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 PM

144 posts, read 698,358 times
That area is generally quite. The only drawback is that, on that part of Fletcher, it is dark because they don't have that much lights. I used to have trouble seeing the entrance of The Park during the night time.

As for the area near the University Mall, that is known locally as Suitcase City. It is not a good area to be around, so you definitely need to keep your guard up especially during night. However, if you are just hanging out at the restaurants and shops near the University Mall (closer to USF), then I really don't see crime as a big issue. I've been in that area at night, and it's generally full of well meaning people.

Really, the bottom line is that you will feel comfortable with the place. Just telling you our opinion might vary because we have different perceptions. Check out the place yourself during night and day, weekday or weekend. Then, make a decision.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 PM

10 posts, read 124,813 times
I always refer to the area of Fletcher between Florida and BB Downs as the "Dawn of The Dead" area. People seem to be just aimlessly walking that stretch of Fletcher. I have been to some company sponsored events at the VA, and never felt uncomfortable there at night.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 AM

Thanks everyone for the great info. Luckily I won't be working at night...7:30 am - 4pm.

Saw the rental yesterday. Now I'm torn between that rental, which is an older property where I could clearly hear the upstairs neighbors walking around but is super close to work and a newer property in South Tampa. The ST one is not walking distance to Hyde Park, but very short drives in a given direction to get to HP, Bayshore or the Friendship trail. Both places have somewhat equivalent amenities (fitness center, pool, gated entry) but the newer one also has a business center for residents (printing, fax, etc)...a good back up in case of pc problems.

And the big factor...the vibe from the owners which is also causing me to lean in one direction. I'm thinking I should go with my spidy-sense here, which is a-tinglin'

Old 07-11-2008, 05:12 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Honu, Follow your vibes. It tells you something nobody else can.
Good Luck and welcome to the Tampa Bay area!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,535 times
I hope you ran for your life, OP. The Park at Lake Magdalene i the most horrible place I've ever lived.

Moderator cut: consumer complaint

Biggest mistake I ever made was moving into that *****hole

Last edited by Keeper; 03-30-2009 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: consumer complaints are not allowed

Old 03-30-2009, 09:16 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
I used to date a girl that lived off of BBD near Fletcher, The poster a few posts up is right about the dawn of the dead comment, lol...

Fletcher on the west side of Nebraska and Florida Avenues are nicer areas. I haven't been down Fletcher in like 3 years, Can anyone tell me if Todd Adult is still there ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: