Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:09 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times

Advertisements

If you have been on here he has made other comments about this area being dominated by hispanics-but he points out that it's the Brandon/Valrico area. Now please tell me-where can you go from West/Central Florida to South Florida and not be in an area with Hispanics? We are close to Puerto Rico and Cuba and this is just how Florida is.

Now to your response on the accuracy thing. This is not mostly true just to hispanics. All MOST people ride around with loud music. White, black, hispanic, asian...you name it. It's not about the race, it's about the age. Kids will be kids and that is something they think is cool-no matter what color they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
How is anything he said discriminatory? No offense, but you might want to look that up in the dictionary.

Also, I'd say his statements were factually accurate. Booming, bass heavy stereos are the most prevalent in hispanic parts of town. That is true not just in Tampa, but in several other cities I have visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
If you have been on here he has made other comments about this area being dominated by hispanics-but he points out that it's the Brandon/Valrico area. Now please tell me-where can you go from West/Central Florida to South Florida and not be in an area with Hispanics? We are close to Puerto Rico and Cuba and this is just how Florida is.

Now to your response on the accuracy thing. This is not mostly true just to hispanics. All MOST people ride around with loud music. White, black, hispanic, asian...you name it. It's not about the race, it's about the age. Kids will be kids and that is something they think is cool-no matter what color they are.

Exactly. Think about it. During the 70's & 80's all you heard was loud rock music coming from cars. In the 90's it was a mix of rock and rap depending on what you were into. And now it's bass or whatever they call it. God only knows what it will be in the next decade but my ears are hoping for classical lol.

As for the hispanics in Brandon/Valrico, are there really enough here to annoy you? I mean come on, it's not like Brandon and Valrico are still not major majority white bread. I came here from S. Fla and I can assure you it is no where near similar.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
IMO it is getting less and less that I hear it...It is very annoying and sooner than later these people are losing their hearing and they can turn it as loud as they want and won't hear it them self...they have no clue that it is already damaging their ears and any one in the car and they think they are cool but to me they are a bunch of losers.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:40 AM

And that was my point from the begining-I don't hear it as much as I used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
IMO it is getting less and less that I hear it...It is very annoying and sooner than later these people are losing their hearing and they can turn it as loud as they want and won't hear it them self...they have no clue that it is already damaging their ears and any one in the car and they think they are cool but to me they are a bunch of losers.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:41 AM

I agree with you on both things that you mentioned. It's the age of the kids, not the race and at least someone else can vouch that it has nothing to do with the race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Exactly. Think about it. During the 70's & 80's all you heard was loud rock music coming from cars. In the 90's it was a mix of rock and rap depending on what you were into. And now it's bass or whatever they call it. God only knows what it will be in the next decade but my ears are hoping for classical lol.

As for the hispanics in Brandon/Valrico, are there really enough here to annoy you? I mean come on, it's not like Brandon and Valrico are still not major majority white bread. I came here from S. Fla and I can assure you it is no where near similar.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 PM

55 posts, read 133,159 times
Quote:
Lower the Boom!, the underlying idea in this website is undoubtedly racist. This is unfortunate.
Please elaborate, because I certainly don't want to support a racist organization seeing how my family is South American and considered Hispanic, to give you an idea of just how prevalent this issue is , just as I typed this one sentence another thumping pounding SAV Sonic Assault Vehicle went by. As if that weren't bad enough we have white boys partying on our street listening to their thumping stereos as our walls and floors get pounded,watching our animals frightened from the sound pressure! I don't think so! It's out of control and it's just going to get worse if you don't do something about it, it's not that far fetched to understand that this type of sound pressure level can and will contribute to more sink holes and environmental destruction in the South. People all around the nation are up in arms about these things just look at this discussion! http://www.wndu.com/news/headlines/7633816.html (broken link)
One would think this getting to be off topic, but it's not because it affects your choice of where to move and live your life, and most of us want peace and quiet and sanity, not our walls vibrating at all hours!

I would not be so quick to call Lowertheboom.org racist and throw the baby out with the bath water, just look at this! This is a disease that was first found on Viaques Island because of the Navy's shelling, pounding vibration affecting Hispanics in Puerto Rico.

"Vibroacoustic Disease, or VAD, is a chronic, progressive, cumulative, systemic disease. Exposure to high-intensity/low-frequency sound and infrasound can lead to Vibroacoustic Disease. Studies have shown that environments with high-intensity sound over 110 dB, coupled with low-frequency sounds below 100 Hz, place people at high risk for developing Vibroacoustic Disease. For example, Vibroacoustic Disease has been identified in disk jockeys, due to loud music exposure."

This from Lowertheboom doens't look racist to me!

Vibroacoustic Disease

"Nov 22, 2008 ... In a study conducted for Puerto Rican Governor Calderon, 48 of the 50 Vieques residents tested suffered from vibroacoustic disease"

See this google search for the little known info about this

http://www.noisefree.org/monitor.pdf

To understand just how powerful these are you have to know whats in them take a look at this site, it's not racist nor do I support it. I was going to post a link to floridaspl.com but to my surprise it has been suspended, probably because it promoted illegal activity, here is what little info Yahoo had on them
FloridaSPL Forum

"All the latest news, events, and talk about Florida car audio scene as well southeast SPL coverage. www.FloridaSPL.com."

At any rate check out http://www.termpro.com and you will find out quickly that these cars are not just about music! Note, some sports are outlawed in this country and they are outlawed for very good reasons, usually it has to do with the safety of the public.

" Not all boom cars are operated by music lovers. Some participate in what is known. as DB Drag Racing or SPL competitions. If you have encountered a boom car that has Sound Pressure Levels equal to a jet engine then you have encountered these. It should be known that during these competitions the owner is not allowed in the vehicle. The sound levels are controlled by remote. So why do these so-called "Afficianados" feel they need to cruise neighborhoods with excruciating S.P.L. levels? If stock car racers are not allowed on public roads, then neither should these competitiion vehicles be allowed, no matter what the owner promises! After all just because someone promises to not speed, can you really expect them to not to on their honor, when there vehicle is capable of reaching speeds in excess of a hundered miles an hour? No that’s why you have speed traps and radar. Here is one law enforcement agency that has a sound trap!
YouTube - Peoria IL Impounds Boom Cars in Noise Stings
"

"Again if you examine the record you will find that these kinds of Sound Pressure Levels on local highways is extremely dangerous and distracting to other drivers."

See Boom Cars silence sirens, see Forest, MS , and
Center for Problem Oriented Policing | Problem Guides | Loud Car Stereos
that’s why law enforcement agencies throughout North America are turning to the Rumbler , please see both
YouTube - NYPD Demonstrating The Rumbler

These things lead to all kinds of violence on the public and the Bass Heads themselves. Plenty of examples here http://www.noboomers.com/mwsmith1.htm

It's not about racism or ageism it's about protecting the public's health and safety!

Yes if you think we are not experts on this subject after putting up with it for 8 years and counting (mind you, that's having to be forced to move to at least 5 different counties now, not staying in one place, because the law just ignored them) your very wrong, we are in the process of writing a book that will include stories of people just like us who had their lives disrupted and wrecked because of mostly male egos that are out of control, on the subject that should educate the whole world just how bad this is!

Last edited by Earthwriter; 03-24-2009 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavypetting View Post
What's all the rage now is to mount a PA speaker such is this one: 100-Watt PA Indoor/Outdoor Powerhorn® Speaker - RadioShack.com
behind your grill, and run an amp to it. This way you can share your music with everyone around you and not have to hurt your own ears. Check this setup out:
YouTube - 6 PowerHorns From 1/2 mile away
Without subsonic bass? The Bass Heads won't go for that, you have to understand were talking about the Crack Of The 21st Century, taking away there boom boom is like taking away their oxygen, it's not gonna happen!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
That's just it, the more they expose themselves to it the more powerful the bass needs to be because now they can't hear it they can feel it, the only problem with that is the rest of us have to hear and feel it! It's like in that movie Children Of A Lesser God where they have to turn the bass speakers to the floor so the deaf children can feel the music.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
And what is wrong with that? This area is heavily hispanic both in population and influence. I don't see why someone stating that fact would upset you.

Quote:
Sorry, that's just not true. First off, I don't see "most" people riding around with loud music or bass. Maybe 1-3 a day depending on where I'm at. Secondly, it is a mostly hispanic thing, and that comes from not only my own observations of it on the street but also someone who has been tuned into the car culture most his life.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Because pointing out different races when they were not asked to on different occassions isn't needed. No one asked about what area has more of what influence. So you are saying just Brandon alone has a heavy hispanic influence? Not South Tampa or Temple Terrace? What about on Bruce B Downs or Armenia??? There is a heavy influence all over. I saw just as many hispanics coming in the apartment community I was working at in New Tampa as I do here. But enough about this, because we are just running in circles with it. I got offended because maybe I am not hispanic, but my daughter is half. I know just as many other color people in this area as I do spanish. I just don't see why we are sitting her classifying an area that is heavily influenced by what race-it's a mix.

I didn't say most people, I said most YOUNG people. So you mean to tell me (now that we are bringing up races and such) that there are MORE latinos with loud music than people with darker skin?? Or maybe the rich white kid in their hooked up Honda???
I have heard loud music in this area (not as much as what others are claiming) and I do look to see who is driving around with all that ruckus. I have seen all races: white, black, hispanic. You may have been tuned into the into car culture, but I see just as many white and black people with hooked up cars on 22" rims and a blaring radio as I do latinos. It is true though, it's the younger crowd. So since you are so in tune with cars, did you ride around with loud music in your younger days? I know I did--hey--I won't deny it, and I am not latino. I had a hooked up little Honda with the whole works for the system. It's an age thing and mostly a guy thing (although girls do it too). And as for race and such, when you listen to rap-and they are saying things like riding down the street with my 22's and top down with my music loud--are they classified as hispanic even though they are black and rapping about it? Like I said-the race thing bothers me because it is not just one particuliar race-it's the age. It does have an effect and it does matter. The younger the kid is, the more they like to show off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And what is wrong with that? This area is heavily hispanic both in population and influence. I don't see why someone stating that fact would upset you.

Sorry, that's just not true. First off, I don't see "most" people riding around with loud music or bass. Maybe 1-3 a day depending on where I'm at. Secondly, it is a mostly hispanic thing, and that comes from not only my own observations of it on the street but also someone who has been tuned into the car culture most his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay