Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times

Advertisements

I never liked the 12 hr shift. By the third 12-hr I was very tired, and used my first day off to recover. Then after a few days off, the patients that I became used (and knew well) to usually were discharged and you'd learn a whole new group of folks (patients). I've been in military hospitals with both 12s and 8hr shifts and usually liked 8-hrs better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
ugg...I couldn't imagine having to be a Predators fan!!

Got to admit, I love my Preds !

Old 04-25-2009, 05:17 AM

8 posts, read 27,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr2009 View Post
Hi, if we were to move to FL how difficult would it be for me to secure a job as an RN? I have 16 years experience; school nursing, home health nursing, and cardiac.
HI. I am the nurse educator for Tampa General Hospital . would love to tell you about the great benefits, learning opportuities here. you should not have any problems getting a job with your years of experience.

Moderator cut: add

Last edited by Keeper; 04-25-2009 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: send a DM with your house for lease or place in classified section

Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 AM

EJ-

Nice that you post here- hope you're here to stay.

any idea what the RN to patient ratio at Tampa General medical/surgical wards might be? also what are salaries like - are local hospitals in a staffing crunch?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 22,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejamilosa View Post
HI. I am the nurse educator for Tampa General Hospital . would love to tell you about the great benefits, learning opportuities here. you should not have any problems getting a job with your years of experience.

Moderator cut: add
Hello!

I am very happy to find you on this site!
My husband and I are looking to move to the Tampa area in about a year and a half with our three young daughters. I am going back into teaching. My husband is currently applying to nursing schools. He is finishing up his prerequisites this summer. He was desperately hoping to start in the Fall, but we have run into a roadblock with University of Maryland and University of Delaware. He really wanted to complete the Master's in CNL at Maryland because he has a Bachelor's in another field and wants to pursue a leadership role (we are mid-thirties now!) However, it is very competitive and because of his unfinished prereq's he was not accepted.

We are applying to USF tomorrow. My husband is specifically interested in working for Tampa General because he is very interested in emergency or critical care and we read that Tampa is the fly-in hospital there (here in Baltimore it is Univ. of Maryland). We are in serious need of some advice regarding starting salaries. I need to make sure that we can live on our combined salaries and that we are making a good decision for our daughters. We have just moved into my parents home so that he can attend nursing school. He is at the top of his classes and will be fantastic, we just dont have time to wait around for him to get into a program! He wants to pursue nurse practictioner immediately and would love to teach at the community college level as well.

He was very close to attending Remington College in Orlando as they have an accelerated Bachelor's program but he was uncomfortable about the fact that they are not accredited yet and will not be until the first class (starting in July) graduates and passes the NCLEX. He was afraid he could spend $30K and not be able to get a job. Any thoughts on this?

We have never lived anywhere else. We have researched and researched the Tampa area and like Seven Oaks in Wesley Chapel very much, but not sure of the commute to Tampa General.
I feel like real facts are so hard to come by and would really appreciate your input on hiring, overtime possibilities (he is used to working many, many hours per week), your hospital (which looks gorgeous by the way - the new unit on the website looks fantastic) and especially salary.

Thank you so much for your help!
Jodi

Old 04-26-2009, 04:39 PM

232 posts, read 886,893 times
Nursing jobs in a hospital should not be hard to find. I too just moved here in Nov and had a job waiting for me. Posters are right I took a small pay cut but what hurt the most is the health insurance our hospital offers the premiums are higher and the out of pocket is also so I am making quite a bit less here than I was up north. I love it here and would not go back so if you really want to be in FL you just learn to adjust to the pay difference. I dont know about the other poster who is getting all this OT because I know at our bay area hospital nurses are getting called off all the time and having to take PTO it was really bad last Oct and Nov. One hospital has even frozen any pay raises for the future.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 PM

71 posts, read 283,093 times
Good luck finding a job in Hillsborough . There's no shortage of nurses in Florida. I've been applying to every single hospital in the Hillsborough county for 6 months now and with over 30 yrs of experience as an RN in quite a few hospital areas , so far no luck, I am not even picky with salary. Their reply is always we've found a better candidate , maybe I am the wrong color.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:50 AM

422 posts, read 649,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen1 View Post
Good luck finding a job in Hillsborough . There's no shortage of nurses in Florida. I've been applying to every single hospital in the Hillsborough county for 6 months now and with over 30 yrs of experience as an RN in quite a few hospital areas , so far no luck, I am not even picky with salary. Their reply is always we've found a better candidate , maybe I am the wrong color.

Maybe you are. With 30 years of experience you may also be the wrong age. They may ASSUME that you want more money than you do. Why hire a seasoned nurse when you can get a new grad that you can mold into the type of nurse you want for 30% off ? And YES I am being sarcstic. It is horrible the way experienced nurses are treated. I have been a nurse for 15+ years but I also became a nurse at age 21. I do see and hear the comments about older nurses though.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 AM

357 posts, read 800,068 times
It's becoming more and more difficult to find a job as a nurse, and the degree/certification mills pushing thousands out every year isn't helping the problem.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen1 View Post

30 yrs? Are you close to 60 yrs of age? Maybe they rather have a younger nurse? Can't think why they'd turn you away and not find someplace in their organization. Who says there's a nursing shortage? Maybe their salary structure can't afford a nurse w/ 30 yrs experience? As someone who has hired a few nurses in ambulatory care, I stayed away from people that I didn't think would be longterm hires - hated oriented them then having them leave for another setting. Huge waste of resources. Could that be the case in your situation? Are you committed to long term or are you using the job as a stepping stone for another opportunity that may come up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay