Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamparesident26 View Post
Frankie's Patio WAS awesome. So was the Blues Ship. The 90's were good times in Ybor indeed.
Speedy Browns, Frankies Patio, Ovo Cafe, Masquerades, Harpos, Jazz Cellar, Blues Ship, Tracks, Killians...ahh the good old ybor of the early 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM

30 posts, read 109,839 times
How about the fish store that was a tepee on Dale Mabry south of Kennedy. How about when TECO was at DM and Kennedy.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,229 times
I went to Riviera Middle School in 1986. They recently demolished it. I heard there was serious mold problems there. Anyway it was the only school I ever got paddled in and I still get mad thinking about it. And please, don't anyone chime in about how that's a good thing, and how your dad would give you another whippin when you got home.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 PM

7 posts, read 34,083 times
I have used my best search engines but can't seem to find a thing about a place called "Rudy's," that was on the Courtney Campbell Causeway in the late 60's and the 70's. I only remember that it was on the north side but can't remember the exact location.

It was actually a bar with good food, especially the smoked mullet roe. They served the entire roe in one piece.

When the wait at the Mullet Inn was too long, a lot of people would go there. I have lived here here for over 30 years and crossed that Causeway hundreds of time but can't pinpoint the location. Does anyone remember it?

Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,229 times
I went to a few school "skate parties" at Gay Blades. Then a family named the Goulds bought it: St. Petersburg Times - Google News Archive Search
We knew the Gould family from Canterbury school where there kids went. I can't believe it wasn't air conditioned. I don't recall complaining. Now I've turned into a heat-wuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
Gay Blades Roller Rink in St. Pete and Gay Way Roller Rink in Clearwater.
Edward White Hospital is now where Gay Blades used to be on 9th Ave. No., and a Salvation Army store is in the old Gay Way on Missouri Ave.

Neither had air conditioning. Gay Blades always played traditional skating music, except for one pop song, "Build Me Up, Buttercup". Wow, really radical!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
The following Drive-In theaters:
Garden Drive-In (Park St/Tyrone Bl)
Thunderbird Drive-In (East Bay Dr)
Mustang Drive-In (Park Blvd)
Tower Drive-In (Tampa)

Webb City (St. Pete)

Gulf Golf (Madeira Beach)

Sunshine Mall (clearwater) (dont know why, it was always a dump)

Sears Town (clearwater)

Woolworth's in downtown Tampa and St. Pete on Central Ave

Maas Brothers in Downtown St. Pete and Downtown Tampa

Tampa Jai Lai

Seaboard Coast Line / Amtrak railroad station in St. Pete off of 38th Ave North

The following Movie Theaters:
Mission Bell
NorthDale Court
Varsity 6
Plaza 5th Ave (St pete)(HUGE screen)
The OLD Tyrone movie theatre

Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan2 View Post
I have used my best search engines but can't seem to find a thing about a place called "Rudy's," that was on the Courtney Campbell Causeway in the late 60's and the 70's. I only remember that it was on the north side but can't remember the exact location.

It was actually a bar with good food, especially the smoked mullet roe. They served the entire roe in one piece.

When the wait at the Mullet Inn was too long, a lot of people would go there. I have lived here here for over 30 years and crossed that Causeway hundreds of time but can't pinpoint the location. Does anyone remember it?
Wasn't it close to the turn off onto CCC? There was Charanns where the Bucs use to hang out, I thought there was another restaurant next to it that served Smoked Mullet. When they tore down the Mullet Inn it was the end of an era.

Has been a long time.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM

12 posts, read 39,683 times
Default Old Tampa

I remember the drive-in at Gandy and Dale-Mabry. Also the Jai-lai fronton, and the old go-cart track and put-put golf on Dale-Mabry just north of Gandy. I used to love Shakey's Pizza behind Britton Plaza, Lamas restaurant. So many places to list.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Speedy Browns, Frankies Patio, Ovo Cafe, Masquerades, Harpos, Jazz Cellar, Blues Ship, Tracks, Killians...ahh the good old ybor of the early 90s.
Man, I do miss Ovo Cafe and Tracks. It was pretty fun in the 90s there.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 PM

357 posts, read 799,699 times
That cafe on Clearwater Beach (with the fried zuccini sticks) they tore down for the ridiculous round-about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay