Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:56 AM

279 posts, read 1,348,125 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Tampa area in a couple of years once we have enough money saved to make the move. We are from NJ and have a 5 month old baby. We would like to make the move before she starts school so that she can have all her schooling in Florida. My company has many offices in Florida but we are leaning towards moving to the west coast of Florida rather than the East coast to stay away from most of the hurricane activity. A friend of mine recently purchased a home in Lithia and I was wondering how this city/town is with regard to quality of life, schools (most important), neighborhood (crime) and housing prices. Since we are from the north, we are used to high house prices so even if we have to spend 500K on a house, we are ok with it. If anyone can provide some feedback on this town, it would be appreciated. Also, how long would a commute be to Tampa by car to downtown Tampa where the major companies are located? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 01:08 PM

anyone?

Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 PM

144 posts, read 698,607 times
Frankly, Lithia is a very nice area near Brandon, Riverview, and Valrico. However, due to new development in recent years (FishHawk Ranch), I've noticed an increase in traffic especially in the major roads that serve the area State Road 60, Lumsden, Bloomingdale, and US 301. But I'm sure the traffic is not as bad as the one Garden State Parkway experiences on Sunday nights.

Schools are especially good. So far, I don't remember hearing any of the nearby schools receive a failing grade. As for crimes, there is some minor gang activities, but this has been limited due to the work done by local law enforcement. I guess most of the incidents involve car jacking and burglary, but you rarely hear these crimes happening in the decent subdivisions.

I guess for the Lithia area the main subdivision that pops right out is Fish Hawk Ranch. When they first started, I remember reading people lining up at their offices to buy a house. For $500k, you'll get a really nice house with 4 or more bedrooms, 3 or more baths, and maybe a swimming pool. Average price for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house on 1500-1800 sq. ft. is probably around $250 to $300k, but this really depends on the area.

As for your commute to downtown Tampa, expect to spend around 30 or so minutes during morning rush hour. That's normally from 7:15AM to about 8:15AM from the Brandon, Riverview, Valrico area. The best road to take to downtown Tampa is the Selmon Expressway. However, expect to shell out around $1.75 per car per direction. Just know that traffic on the 2nd level of the Selmon Expressway flows towards Downtown Tampa in the morning in one direction and goes the opposite in the afternoon.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:30 PM

omg! thank you so much for that information. it was very informative. i agree with you with regard to the traffic on the garden state parkway...sometimes when i work in our nj office (i usually work in our nyc office), it will take me an hour an a half to get home and i am only 27 miles away from the office! thanks again for the info.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:44 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,216 times
Just so that you know - the main road to get anywhere from Fishhawk (which is absolutely beautiful by the way) is a one lane in each direction road. My cousin lives there and works in downtown Tampa. It takes him no less than 45 minutes door to door and about 20 or so of that time is spent on that one road (Lithia Pinecrest Rd). This is now. A developer just got approval to build another 3000 homes on the other side of Litha Pinecrest Rd. I think they have plans to widen the road to accomodate the additional homes and commuters, but to a two lane each direction.

We looked in Fishhawk and did not buy for this being the main reason. We are from NY too and my husband was tired of driving in a parking lot LOL.

Good Luck in whatever you choose. I just thought you should know.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 AM

thank you minniemom! that is good to know. we plan on checking the area out this summer when we go down for a visit.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:42 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,147 times
I definately would not buy in fishhawk or bloomingdale area,( they have cdds fees at fishhawk) plus as was said traffic congested. I lived in Bloomingdale for 3 yrs, it took 20 mins to get to Brandon mall only 10miles away.
I would rather buy in Riverview it is growing up and has interstate to jump on and go in any direction. I love Riverview area, But I moved to cheaper housing and less traffic and lower homeowner insurance in Lakeland.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:56 AM

what is cdd fees?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 AM

These are fees past on to the homeowners from the builders, they can be quite high. I avoid buying where they are. If you buy into a new development with pool and clubhouse you will pay homeowner fees for those to be maintained. However some subdivisions have CDDS, Community Development District Fees, it can be as much as 20 thousand added to your mortgage. I know lots of people who loved Fishhawk but walked away because of the CDDS. My neice recently bought a home in a CDD community
she pays 175 cdd, 175 homeowner assoc fees, + insurance + taxes, why do it . There are plenty of subdivisions without them.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 AM

CDD's are really about paying down the builders bond for when they built the community. Here is a quote from someone else that may explain it better.

"As Florida's population boomed, CDDs were created to shift the burden of building roads and utility lines away from cash-starved municipal and county governments. The massive costs of building the infrastructure are financed by the developer with a key CDD incentive: tax-free municipal bonds."

If the developer folds the community is on the hook for these bonds. Some communitys are on the hook for millions of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay