Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

seems like the majority of listings are for short sales- which we all know take months and months to get the banks to commit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:29 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
seems like the majority of listings are for short sales- which we all know take months and months to get the banks to commit.
So sorry to say that short sales and foreclosures are about 60% of our market today. It's really hard to weed through them especially when (IMO) many of the asking prices are fabricated.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 AM

216 posts, read 829,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
So sorry to say that short sales and foreclosures are about 60% of our market today. It's really hard to weed through them especially when (IMO) many of the asking prices are fabricated.
I'm looking to move to TBA this summer from NYC area.
My house is sold, I'm good to go.
Can someone explain what a 'short sale' is?
Up here we have foreclosures, is that the same thing?

Also, do I need a realtor - my SO and I will be looking for separate apartments to rent, not buy. Not yet anyway..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Most apts in Tampa are managed by mgt companies unless you happen to find a garage apt somewhere and there are not many of them around. Once you know where you will be working.. post again for opinions on areas to live

You might want to check out the Real Estate forum for a clear explanation of the good and bad of short sales. Simply put the house is put on the market by the owner who is about to go into foreclosure.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, fabricated on the low side to entice buyer's interest - seems like a bait & switch scheme. Once the buyer realizes the short price isn't realistic, I'm sure they'll be offered other homes to look at. Need some consumer protection in this area, imo.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 AM

Curious if anyone can recommend a good Tampa area bank for home mortgage loans - I see that Sun Trust is listed in Bankrate.com as having decent rates. Anyone use them? What about home insurance companies - any recommendations?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:59 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
What about MacDill Credit or Bay Gulf Credit Union since you are in the military. They usually have better rates.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 AM

61 posts, read 188,351 times
Quote:
Agreed Karen. The problem is that some Realtors don't put the stated language that they are supposed to in MLS when a home is a short sale or they don't put in the Realtor Info field the category for SHORT SALE. If they did, they'd be very easy to weed out. To consumers out there, if you see language such as "Listing price may not be enough to cover all encumbrances..." this means ITS A SHORT SALE.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM

thanks for the mls listing and loan P.O.C.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I've had a Suntrust account for many years and they've been good to us. That said, Suntrust has denied loans for two recent customers. Unlike years past, it seems that many of the banks are looking for reasons to deny loans. If you're planning to use your VA, you shouldn't have any problems since the loan is guaranteed. There's a big VA regional center at Baypines in St. Petersburg.

For homeowner insurance, recent customers have gotten good rates at East Bay Insurance (Elizabeth) for Southshore properties, Coast To Coast Insurance of Florida and Italiano for Tampa properties and it's been best recently at AAA for Pasco customers. You can get an idea of rates and underwriters from the state sponsored website online at Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay