Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:50 AM

96 posts, read 736,431 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the Pacific Northwest for the past ten years. Dress codes for office workers here are pretty slack: One can dress in jeans (so long as there are no holes or frayed areas), a T-shirt or Hawaiian shirt, or just jeans and pullover sweater, tennis shoes, sandals, etc. and nobody will bat an eye.

Since I have plans to one day work in the Tampa and St. Petersburg areas, I am curious to know what the typcial dress code is for office workers there?

I grew up on the east coast and worked in several offices there. Although the dress code was referred to as "office casual," when I was there, typical attire for male office workers was actually pretty conservative: Long-sleeve dress shirts, pressed slacks, shined shoes; and some offices even required a tie every day.

What is the dress code for the typical male office worker there now?

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 06-13-2009 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: added clarifications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 02:43 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,016 times
My experience has been: "office casual" meaning collared shirts, slacks and semi-dress shoes. Some offices allow jeans as you've described.

Then there's "casual Friday"... t-shirts, jeans and sneakers

Old 06-13-2009, 03:44 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I think most offices are casual unless you are working in a bank or in another profession were you would be meeting clients or potential clients.

We had casual Fridays for jeans..

Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 PM

96 posts, read 736,431 times
Thanks to you both for replying. It pretty much sounds as if the Tampa Bay area has the same standards as here.

I know about "casual Friday" and for the most part, that is observed in businesses here such as a bank or in a high-end law office, as Keeper pointed out.

It really is not a big deal for me as far as keeping to whatever office dress code there is. But for me, it is just so much more less expensive to dress casually.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:45 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
My husband has an office goverment job in downtown Tampa. He wears dress pants, dress shirts and a tie. That is expected in his office, however they do have casual Friday. Other private practice offices may be more casual. I guess it just really depends on the place and environment.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:50 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,167 times
My office is the corporate headquarters of a fairly decent sized company with several locations on the east coast. Our office dresscode is biz casual. The men wear dockers, polos or short/long sleeve button down shirts (our CEO and CFO don't even wear ties unless there's a meeting.) Friday is jeans day. I think you'll find that to be the standard around here.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:12 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
I never understood the casual Friday thing.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,301 times
I'm from Boston and in my opinion the dress code here is too conservative. It's a freakin' swamp people!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:28 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
OK, Here's how I see it, the dress code was invented to show respect for the business you are working for, some people interpret "casual dress code" as casual behavior......I am not getting casual Friday either....you're still at work...

Old 06-17-2009, 06:07 AM

101 posts, read 530,093 times
I noticed a distinct difference in the manner in which professionals dress when I moved from D.C. to Tampa. It's definitely more casual overall here. The one that sticks out most in my mind is the flip flops/sandals that women wear with their suits/skirts. While it may pass as "business attire" here, it never would have flown as acceptable up North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: