Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:00 PM

306 posts, read 451,614 times

Advertisements

We'll soon be moving to Tampa and we were thinking about buying a single family home in Tampa Palms (or New Tampa), but from what I've read here, Lutz sounds fantastic, too. If anybody has time to answer this: what would be the differences between Lutz and the other two places I mentioned? Why should we rather consider Lutz? (we'll be commuting to USF). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,488 times
I live in Tampa Palms. Lutz is nice, but you would probably have more traffic to USF from Lutz. The houses are cheaper in Lutz. From Tampa Palms, it would probably take about 15 minutes to USF in the morning. You would have even more traffic if you are driving from further up in New Tampa. It would take you at least 30 minutes from New Tampa. I like Tampa Palms, though most of the homes are older. Mine was built in 1986. I don't travel much to Lutz. However, my kids go to a charter school there, but it is the lowest part of Lutz, so I don't travel much further up. In comparison, IMO, Lutz does not have the multitude of shops, restaurants, movie theatre that New Tampa has. There are sectoins of New Tampa that is pretty upscale (and some that are not). Lutz has fewer upscale communities. I think of Lutz as pretty down to earth. If you have any other, more specific questions, feel free to DM me.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 PM

It was good to read your post, annaegel, you are so nice, as always! From what you are saying, we would rather stick with TP or NT. In any case, once we get there, we'll start visiting the communities that are relatively close to USF to get a better feeling.

Talking about old houses, I'm thinking now that it wouldn't be such a bad deal if you read all those stories about the chinese drywall that is a problem now in the newer ones...

Thanks again for answering, we'll sure come back with more questions!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 13,373 times
Default Tampa Palms

I would have to agree. I believe Tampa Palms would be the better place of all 3, it is convenient to everything, plus the community itself is very well maintained. The community as stated has been around since the late 80's but very clean and well kept, beautiful bike/walking paths, community areas including pools, tennis courts etc.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:30 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,018 times
In my opinion, there's not a lot of difference geographically. They're both located in the far northern quadrant of Hillsborough County. New Tampa is east; Lutz is west.

New Tampa is more developed (on purpose). It is incorporated and part of the city of Tampa. Most of the residences/commercial property is newer (mid-90s). The real estate taxes are higher. Many of the communities have CDDs and HOAs, but neighborhood amenities come along with them.

Lutz is less developed and more rural (again, on purpose). There is still quite a lot of land left. Long time residents of the area generally oppose urban sprawl and strip malls and it shows. There are a lot of lakes in the area and lots are larger. The real estate taxes are lower and there are few CDD communities (other than Cheval).

Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks everybody for answering! Now we have a better understanding of these areas.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 19,332 times
I'll just add my 2 cents here since it looks like you already have the info you need. I live in Lutz and love it. It's more rural and the commute down Livingston or 41 isn't nearly as bad as Bruce B Downs.

Since you'll be going to USF, I would recommend Tampa Palms (make sure you stay south of 75), or the Lutz area around Livingston or Sunset.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM

151 posts, read 798,681 times
We love Lutz and the schools have been great! Just moved here last year after a LONG relo....DM me if you have particular questions. My best advise is to look at ALL of the areas you are interested in....they don't always translate into what you *think* you see online. Good luck!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Thank you for your replies, discostu and mrs. coach. We'll be there in a few weeks and since we'll be renting for a while, we'll have plenty of time to get to know the areas we are interested in. Thanks again!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:49 AM

108 posts, read 308,183 times
It depends on your budget. If you can afford it, Cheval is probably better in every respect than any of the other neighborhoods listed in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay